Search Unity

◉ Custom Gravitations Kit ◉ Take Gravity under control ◉

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Patico, May 19, 2014.

?

What next feature would you like to get first, guys?

1. Supporting of custom gravitations in 2D games

2. Supporting of Third Person Character Controller from Unity's Standart Assets

3. Implementation of FPS ( First Person Controller )

4. Custom gravity for vehicle systems / car physics ( compatibility with such plugins like Realistic Ca

5. Supporting Nav Meshes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ariegos

Ariegos

Wow, this looks sweet. Can this be used with solutions like Universal FPS, or does something special need to be done?

IMO this is best way, as top selling assets integrate with top selling pathfinding solutions, so you join a club of good things that work together.

I didn't know that any pathfinding solutions could work with spherical objects, it would be awesome if true. Seems kind of strange 3D engines weren't made to work with directional gravity right from the start.

2. Patico

Patico

Just now, I'm preparing to release version 1.11 where will added implementation of FPS.

Integration with other assets is a good and most desirable way, but in most of cases it requires to change source code of 3rd party asset. For example now I can add integration with uFPS asset, but you will need to change few line of code in uFPS asset, this mean when you update your uFPS asset to newer version you will need to make that fix again.

3. Patico

Patico

Version 1.11 just sent to review
    Include couple of fixed and First Person camera feature
    Here is a simple preview:

4. angel_m

angel_m

How does it work with massive planets?

Patico likes this.
  5. banzai777

banzai777

Looking good, Patico! Will the update include side-to-side (standard FPS strafing) character movement?

6. Patico

Patico

Hi @angel_m,
    It works fine with any massive planet since fix released in ver. 1.7

7. Patico

Patico

Hi @banzai777, I got your request - I try to add it in the next release. Current update includes only basic FPS functionality, without side-to-side character movement (IMHO, its responsibility of character controller component).

8. Patico

Patico

Hi guys!
    Here is a good news. Latest release (1.11) of Custom Gravitations Kit was approved by unity asset store team and now available at store. This update includes basic implementation of First Person Camera, that will be improved with, I hope, your help - so, I'm wondering what more options and features would you like to add to FPS?

9. startleworks

startleworks

Hi Patico, do you have any updates on Custom gravity for vehicle systems/car physics?

10. Patico

Patico

Supporting of vehicle systems is enough big feature, especially we want to drive car on the spherical objects, and now it still in development. In parallel with it I trying to release fixes and quick (from point of development) features for getting feedback as soon as possible. When supporting of vehicles will added I will post a message in this thread, so you can subscribe on this updates in this thread to be notified when feature will be released.
    Thank you, Saruzaru.

11. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

Hi,

I bought your project two days ago, I was able to download the version 1.8 on the store.

I do not understand why I can not download the version 1.11?

Sorry for my English, I am French.

Thank you

Patico likes this.
  12. Patico

Patico

Hi blackanub1s,
    version 1.8 is last compatible with Unity 4.3.2, So, I guess you are using one of Unity 4.x releases and asset store give 1.8 to your.

You should install Unity 5.x for downloading version 1.11.
    If you cannot upgrate your project to Unity5, use this workaround:
    - install Unity5 to separate folder (you can uninstall it later)
    - create new empty project
    - download latest version of Custom Gravitations Kit asset into this project
    - copy scripts of asset to your project.

I think scripts are fully compatible with any version of unity engine, but demo project that included in asset was upgraded to Unity5.

13. blackanub1s

blackanub1s

Thank you for your interest and your quick response, the problem is solved.

14. danreid70

danreid70

Here's one (hopefully easy) request: a checkbox/switch in inspector to either 1) snap object to align objects to "bottom down" rotation when entering gravity sphere/trigger, or 2) apply a torque to object axis to align object to "bottom down" rotation slowly (i.e., a spaceship entering gravity, which then aligns so it travels more like an airplane or lander when entering gravity).

Or possibly just need a value for amount of torque to apply to align, so that "0" wouldn't align it (some objects shouldn't align, i.e. Asteroids or odd objects). A higher number would of course apply more torque. Objects with higher mass would "twist" more slowly (i.e. Very large space ships), smaller objects would align quicker (i.e. Fighters), and very small objects would align very quickly (i.e., land vehicles/characters)...

THAT would utterly ROCK! Should actually be very simple - when applying gravity force to an object, also apply alignment torque (if applicable)... So y-axis aligns with center-of-gravity... Could also help keep vehicle dynamics interesting... Maybe don't apply torque if touching surface (only apply gravity not torque), so vehicles would "fall into place" when touching surface, but if "jumping" over a hill or ramp on surface, while air-borne, would keep "wheels down" (arcade-y physics)...

Great asset!!! Already just playing around with it and doing fun stuff with it applying different gravities to objects just to experiment. The dynamics are very cool!!!!

startleworks likes this.
  15. Patico

Patico

Yes, it's good points. Perhaps you ever have it already! ;) There is Aligner component that responsible for making character's z-axis aligned with a gravitation direction. I think you can add it to the spaceships and they will be correctly aligned when entering in gravity field. This component also has "Wake Up Speed" parameter that you can use to ajust a speed of "aligning".

Yo can find this component at 'Patico\Custom Gravitations Kit - Script Pack\Character Controller\' folder or in Inspector panel by typing its name.

16. danreid70

danreid70

Patico: this kit ROCKS! I didn't think to look at that... Going to check it out tonight, time permitting... Thank you, and Excellent work!

17. Patico

Patico

Thanks @danreid70, I'm also thinking about adding parameters for orientating objects by others axises. Think, it will be helpfull.

18. Patico

Patico

Hey guys, meet with the new demo game update!

Play the game here [~53Mb]
    Custom Gravitations Kit asset at store

danreid70 likes this.
  19. Patico

Patico

One more screenshot of updated demo

danreid70 likes this.
  20. Patico

Patico

And one more))

21. Patico

Patico

A little bit fresher UI for demogame:

22. NathanHale1776

NathanHale1776

Hello Patico, just bought this would like to see an example of spaceship using this if possible even if cube primitive. I tried just adding the alignment script but doesn't seem to work for me

23. Patico

Patico

Hi,
    Perhaps, you forget to add a Rigidbody with checked off useGravity and Collider components?
    I have a simple scene with a plane made of primitives (see video bellow). You can send me an email with your order number at info@patico.pro, and I will send you this project.

Thank you

P.S.: @wintermuteai1 I've just sent your an email with demo

24. NathanHale1776

NathanHale1776

Thank you Patico! appreciated!

25. NathanHale1776

NathanHale1776

Highly recommend this asset from Patico!
    In just a couple days workflow I already can go from planet to planet in my ship.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  26. Patico

Patico

NathanHale1776 likes this.
  27. barcode802

barcode802

I'm curious if this system could be used to handle an insect walking on a tree that includes a trunk, branches and leaves (assuming using the normal vector). I'm imagining something quite large. Also I would need the ability for AI to be able to move around this terrain as well and also have the AI change from flying to landing?

28. Patico

Patico

Hi, it's pretty nice idea. I think it is possible, you can meet some difficulties during this, but I can help with it. What about AI to be able to move around terrain - curruntly this work in progress, but some kind of flying/landing AI already exists.

Cliftonm, angel_m and LoDx like this.
  29. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

Hello. I just stumbled upon this, and I'm quite impressed. I have a couple questions for you.
    1. How does this handle with flying objects? Is is possible to have an orbit if you were to add a force in the correct direction? I can see that it probably does considering your last post, but it never hurts to ask. :)
    2. Does this use patched conics, or is it an n-body physics type simulation?

Patico likes this.
  30. Patico

Patico

It handle it pretty! ;) Some time ago, I made a couple of tests for performance, and now I think you ask about somethink like that - see this vine: https://vine.co/v/i5ZAJlBgLmi . There was a scene with a lot of planes flying around planet. It was pretty easy to made it with Custom Gravitations Kit asset, about 10 minutes (and 10 mins more for modelling a plane)
    Here is a screenshot when 1K of planes was flying in gravitation field:

adamhill, Cliftonm and danreid70 like this.
  31. Cliftonm

Cliftonm

OK, I'm pretty much convinced. Once I get the money in the bank, I'll purchase this. It looks very nice!

32. Patico

Patico

CGK 1.12 is going out!

It’s so beautiful day today, and I just sent new version of Custom Gravitational Kit to Asset Store reveiw. Really hope, in the next 5-10 business days it will be available for everybody. But anyway, I think now I can share what it will include.

New Features
    • Added BaseCharacterController class - that can be used for implementing any own “gravity-affected” character controllers.
    • Control of fluctuation power from inspector’s UI - any gravitational field can have small torque forces impacting on the objects, and now these forces could be tuned.
    • ForceMode for gravitational fields. There was added 4 standart modes of gravity Force: Force, VelocityChange, Acceleration and Impulse. So, it can be confifured from UI now.
    Some fixes
    • CentricGravity with BoxCollider was breaking SceneView, now it’s fixed.
    • Fixed non-working invert mouse option of First Person Camera view.
    • Clean up and refactoring

Cliftonm likes this.
  33. DR01D

DR01D

Navmesh compatible would be a God send. I have been trying to get an AI/pathfinding solution working on a planet/sphere for over a year now with no great success. I am no coder so it has been near impossible to get any results worth using, even with many of the available assets on the store including this one.

34. Patico

Patico

Yeah, it's pretty good idea and enough big challenge. Currently, navmesh is not support any curved surfaces, but I have some thoughts about pathfinding implementation. Actually, it's what I'm doing now.

35. DR01D

DR01D

Looking forward to seeing what you can do. AI/pathfinding (even simplistic) is the only wall hindering my progress right now.

I have tested a number of combinations of gravitation assets combined with different AI/pathfinding/waypoint systems, I might have had more success if I was more a more experienced coder (I'm a designer). If you can get something working in the one package (or an additional asset), I would be ecstatic.

I will be keeping an eye on any progress. Any plans on an implementation date?

Patico likes this.
  36. Patico

Patico

37. Patico

Patico

Probably next release will include this functionality, I cannot say anything about date, but I post here everything about new features. I think, the best way to be notified on progress is to subscribe on this thread (watch thread button on the top of page), and you will get an email.

38. DR01D

DR01D

awesome, cheers

39. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Hey! I'm really interested in picking this up, but I just wanted to ask if this is compatible with this pack?... I'm pretty sure it is - It says in the documentation "Full physics interaction with a rigidbody character controller that has mass in the game world. Pick up and throw objects, ride elevators and horizontal platforms, create physics puzzles, swim, and climb ladders!". If it does support this, I'm buying this ASAP. Please let me know! :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Patico likes this.
  40. Patico

Patico

Well, good asset, I didn't have this one, but I think "full physics interaction" means general gravity direction. My asset assumes that there are can be some gravitations in the scene.

RangePlusOne likes this.
  41. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

So would it be safe to say that, yes it will work?? :) The AI I assume would adhere to standard gravity, shoot player as usual? That would make sense right? Any reason it wouldn't work?

42. Patico

Patico

No, I think these assets are not compatible, at least currently.
    I strongly believe, that asset you mentioned uses Physics.gravity or Vector(0,-1,0) as gravitation direction, and calculates all movement directions based on it. I think it will not work correctly in "planet-like" or in any other unusual gravity fields.

But I consider to buy this one for testing and investigating a way to make them work together.
    Maybe, just need to write a simple adapter.

RangePlusOne likes this.
  43. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Oh, bummer. Okay well if there a way to get it going I'd love to know how. I'm no coder - but keep everyone posted, I'm sure there could be some radical FPS shooters if this is combined with yours :D Would this uJet pack be compatible??
    I just picked your pack up and got the FPS controller going, and instantly noticed some things missing like strafe movement, footstep/jump sounds, running, locking & hiding the mouse icon... any chance there's something I'm missing, can I use another rigid body FPS or will these be added soon? I saw in a previous post July/Aug 2015 it was mentioned, and still not added? Just seems very hollow at the moment...
    Update: I can't get my character to cross the bridge? He instantly stops and becomes locked in unable to move at all, I've sent you a personal msg on the matter - I would appreciate any assistance.
    Update 2: I notice in the 3rd person view when I cross the bridge the camera shakes quite often - why is this occurring here and not in the online demo?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  44. Patico

Patico

Hi, I responded to you in PM, but I would like to copy it here, for sharing knowledge with others.
    FPS was added recently and still contains only basic functionality. It will improved during few next iterations, I hope with you comments - I mean that you can ask for features you need and I will add them.

45. Patico

Patico

Ok,
    I going to include in the next release some FPS improvements, such as strafing, jumping, running, heading bob, hided mouse and, probably, foot step sounds.

46. Razmot

Razmot

Hi - Remember a while ago you tried to integrate UFPS, you said it needed some customization in ufps. Did you actually succeed, and did you keep notes of those customization ?

I think it's impossible to do a game without customizing the assets anyway !

47. jfheurtaux

jfheurtaux

Hi,
    I would like to know if you you can add a script for climbing stairs in your controller.
    I bought your kit but I also need to climb stairs up and down and unfortunately I see that it is only for running and jumping.

48. Patico

Patico

Hi, @jfheurtaux
    Yes, you're right, asset doesn't have such functionality now. I've added this feature to the backlog.
    How can I comunicate with you about the details?

49. jfheurtaux

jfheurtaux

Thank you for your reply.
    I will send you a mail to info@patico.pro to see how to resolve that problem.
    JF Heurtaux

50. AntLewis

AntLewis

Hey @Patico just bought your pack. Two questions.

1. I have a character and controller script (uses Mecanim) in another project and I want to use that, but just add the functionality of your gravity code so he runs around the surface of a planet. What's the easiest way to achieve this?
    2. Also with the third person camera controls, I want the camera to track the characters position, but I don't want the camera to rotate when the player does. Is there an easy way to make this happen?

Cheers!

Last edited: May 31, 2016