Search Unity

Custom Git Package with git-lfs not working

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by cg-adam, Aug 27, 2019.

1. cg-adam

cg-adam

I have created a new package which uses git-lfs, but Unity states it cannot run the command:

"Error when executing git command. git-lfs filter-process: git-lfs: command not found"

Any ideas how to resolve this?

2. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Can you give us a bit more details on your operating system?

Boris

3. npatch

npatch

I'm hitting a similar problem. I have this Git repository that contains the package and in it there are 2 pngs which are LFS tracked. The pngs have thumnails in the the Dashboard, so they seem to be ok in the server. It's just the download that fails("Could not create asset from Packages/com.<package-name>/Runtime/UI/openproject.png: File could not be read").

Using 2019.2.0f1 on Windows 10 and using a git URL with #<tag>.
    I've used this https://www.patreon.com/posts/25070968 to set up the repository. Everything else is properly exported. Also had a scene in the package and it works as expected. The pngs are missing references in the scene.

4. cg-adam

cg-adam

Sure. I am running Unity 2019.2.3f1, on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. I have SourceTree installed and git installed at a system level through the command line (was installed via brew I believe).

5. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@cg-adam, there was a bug that was fixed in 2019.3.a10. This was not backported in 2019.2. Would it be possible for you to try opening your project using 2019.3 beta to see if the issue is resolved? If it does, we will backport the fix.

Regards,

Pascal

6. cg-adam

cg-adam

I will try this today.

7. cg-adam

cg-adam

I have tried and it does seem to be able to pull the repo down now. However I am having issues with it maybe not pulling the LFS assets properly, they seem to stay as pointers instead of the actual assets. I will have to do some more tests though in a test repo to see if I can resolve it.

8. npatch

npatch

I can confirm that 2019.3.0b1 did not fix my issue as well. The error message stayed the same. What cg-adam suggests seems plausible.

9. Reisender

Reisender

I have this exact same issue with Unity 2018.4.13f1 in MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 with SourceTree, Git and Git LFS installed at a system level. The package is in a private GitHub repository.

Opening the project with the exact same configuration but in Windows has no issues at all, but still need to use the Mac also.

And unfortunately I cannot update to 2019 :(

10. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

11. Reisender

Reisender

Hey Pascal, thanks for your reply. I've been a few days trying to understand what I need to do but I just can't get it right. Have you been able to make it work? If so, could you provide some more specific steps to do it?

Thanks in advance!

12. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Reisender . I'm sorry, I don't have the problem on my system. I was just trying to help you out and see if there were other examples of issues like your out there.

13. terids

terids

I'm having the same issue as well, with my LFS assets not getting pulled in by the package manager. Is there a bug report for this already?

Edit: I'm on Windows 10, Unity 2020.1

14. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Not that I'm aware of. Would you mind creating one?

15. terids

terids

Will do!

16. npatch

npatch

I made one but the team responded they couldn't repro it and needed an example. I haven't got around to making one because my original issue was in an internal work server and I need to try public GitHub or GitLab to make sure I can repro it.
    FWIW, it's Case 1197865.

17. terids

terids

I also made one and got the same response: Case 1220309.
    I also haven't got around to making an example.

18. PatientZero

PatientZero

The problem seems to be that the path variable for the launchpad (which is used to launch unity) does not include the path for lfs.
    To change that open up a terminal and type:
    sudo launchctl config user path /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

After a restart everything should work

19. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

This alone didn't work for me, I tried your suggestion first, restarted and the same issue occured. Using an M1 Mac Mini.

This suggestion worked for me, I added 'sudo' in front of every line they did to get it to work as admin
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/git-lfs-command-not-found.981792/#post-7359485

20. chenzhiyuanthu

chenzhiyuanthu

I ran into the same problem, and my solution is to uninstall both git and git-lfs installed through homebrew and reinstall them through pkg files downloaded from official websites.
    Make sure that `which git` and `which git-lfs` return `/usr/local/bin/git` and /usr/local/bin/git-lfs`.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  21. xucian

xucian

22. bleater

bleater

Just to confirm, the issue for me was that I was using packaging via a git subtree split to create a separate branch, and the .gitattributes file wasn't present in the split-off branch, so Unity didn't know anything about the files needing to be downloaded via git-lfs.

The solution (for the same problem) is to make sure you have .gitattributes in the root of your published package: https://forum.unity.com/threads/pac...nstead-of-actual-content.993183/#post-8808763

xucian likes this.