Search Unity

1. How has 2019.2 and the beta been for you so far? Give us feedback in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom GBuffer layouts

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Aieth, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Aieth

Aieth

I've been looking at integrating my plugin into the new Unity 5 feature set. Unfortunately I can't shove my GBuffer into the one Unity uses. I use a velocity buffer (packed in with normals in an ARGBHalf buffer) while Unity uses a R10G10B10A2 buffer for its normals. I know I've seen Aras comment that custom GBuffer layouts is something Unity wants to support, but want can mean anything from possibly to its coming soon. So, I have a question directed at the rendering programmers of Unity 5, and that is if it is possible to allow the texture formats to be changed? In my case it doesn't matter if you can change the number of textures, 4 are fine, so a good first step (well, good for me) towards a customizable GBuffer would be the possibility to change texture formats :)

If that isn't happening any time soon, I've got another question. Is there any way at all to access the hardware depth buffer in DX11 after using Camera.SetTargetBuffers and Camera.Render? I've tested a whole bunch of ways and it seems the camera never generates, or never binds, the "_CameraDepthTexture" to the shaders.

Thanks in advance!