Search Unity

Custom FX in URP

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by MadeFromPolygons, Dec 4, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Any news on custom FX on URP? Its getting really irritating that the new pipelines dont support custom post FX.

Honestly, after months and months of ****ing about with the SRPs I have just about had it with them. I really just want to be able to go back to finishing my current project instead of constantly battling the engine and reading forums and docs and discord and twitter and reddit just to find out why things dont work or how they work.

2. mephistonight

mephistonight

This is definitely my current mood right now. I sympathise.

I'd just gotten used to making custom post processing effects using the C# API only to discover in URP, there's no longer an API and custom render passes are the way to do it. Fifteen minutes later I find this video from way back in April...

...only to discover Blit STILL isn't actually available, only render objects.

I can deal with stuff being in preview, I can deal with scant documentation and API changes but hard 90 degree changes in direction that break anything custom for months on end with zero documentation is just getting silly, especially when the ability to do things are being taken out and not replaced. These aren't just API changes, these are complete about-faces in terms of implementation and approach, requiring complete rewrites. Assuming it's even possible to do said functionality anymore.

I'm seriously considering dumping SRP's entirely just to make some progress as honestly, I've made almost none over the last six months.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I finally dumped SRP and went back to in-built. Not really lost any performance but was able to actually make some damn progress on graphics for first time in what feels like forever. Was very motivating! I am not going back to SRP until I actually have a need for them, they just are not even within 1 year of being ready no matter what is being said officially.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Same here, build in render pipeline is very capable, and it lets you have stable platform that is not all the time changing under your feet.
    And you can always upgrade to URP or HDRP later if needed when they are more stable.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.