Search Unity

Custom Events

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by smitchell, Feb 26, 2015.

1. smitchell

smitchell

Hey,

So I've been integrating Analytics in my game, which is going live next week!

But I'm not sure where my custom events are displayed? I've searched around the dashboard for ages, I just can't find where they are.

I know they're being sent and received ok because if I go to the set up custom events support thing they show up there.

Where am I supposed to view my events?

Thanks.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hey smitchell,

So there are a couple of places where you can see/use your custom events.

1. The Data Explorer. Click on "Add Custom Event", then specify the event and the segment. Once you see the graph, you can also drill down to see specific parameter values.
    2. You can build funnels that use custom events in the Funnel Analyzer.

3. smitchell

smitchell

I thought it would be through the Add Custom Event thing, but it still is a mystery to me, on the drop down I only have 2 events, unity.sceneLoad and gameOver.. is it supposed to be like that? I don't understand how I'm supposed to select my custom events?

I've attached a screenshot

Attached Files:

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Here's what I think is happening.

Events typically take a few hours to cycle. You see them instantly on the integration page (to help you confirm that code is working), but they don't populate in the Data Explorer until back-end calculations have been processed. The two events you currently see are unity.sceneLoad, which is a built-in event, and gameOver...which you likely sent us when following our integration guide.

Give it a few hours or so, then go back to Data Explorer. By then, you should see your events in the drop down list.

5. smitchell

smitchell

ahh yeah they've popped up now! Cheers.

I'm still a little confused as to visualising the data, for example in the game I have difficulty levels (up to 7), upon death I'm sending the level to the dashboard, I want to see how many users achieve what level etc

So my question is how do I view this information? It seems like it'd be in the segment builder right? but I can't figure out how to use it.. Any help?

Thanks.

6. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

This is a great question...the answer to which is a little weird. There are actually two answers...the one for today, and a better one which will be available soon.

Unity Analytics is still in beta, and the product is developing rapidly. Our initial focus was on numerical data...things that could be summed up and averaged. What you're asking for is not really numerical, but categorical, i.e., you probably don't care so much about the average difficulty level, so much as how many people are picking difficulty level 1, level 2, etc. This is one of our most-requested features, and we're mid-flight on bringing it to you. In the new version, you'll be able to look at your events in the Data Explorer and see a pie chart (or similar), indicating for any given parameter, how many of X or Y was selected.

Also coming up (as you've anticipated) will be the ability to build custom segments based on the outcomes of individual events. When that feature is in, you'll be able to track behavior of users based on which users picked, for example, difficulty level 6.

"Well, that's all well-and-good, Marc," I hear you cry, "but how do I get to that information today?"

So the answer is that it's a lot more cumbersome, but not altogether impossible. You can do it using funnels. If you set up a funnel for each event combination, it's possible to see who passes through that funnel. Funnel conversions would indicate the users who picked specific difficulty levels. Honestly, this is a lousy answer...but as I say, we're working hard to make it better.

Hope that helps!

sschan likes this.