Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom event reporting - OTHERS ? ...

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by alisjak, Apr 5, 2017.

1. alisjak

alisjak

HI All!

We just started using UA for our mobile VR game app, we when pulling the first set of reports of custom events to see a specific set of custom events and our internal unique user ID, and we are only getting 10 results and then OTHERS... our app is/will be used by tens and or hundreds of users, we need to be able to avoid the OTHERS grouping and have the detail data on each user code. How can we do this? what are my options? would RAW DATA EXPORT be the only option?

Really appreciate any help

Ari

Attached Files:

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@alisjak

The "Others" group is a change that was made in our front-end to accommodate some updates to our backend.https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-data-processing-limits.450266/

I would also advise against using unique user IDs in Custom Events as that will quickly reach our 5,000 event-parameter-value combination limit. Plus, our Analytics system wasn't designed to display unique data, so we don't expose that kind of data particularly well.

Raw Data Export is unaffected by any of our data processing limits (because that data is not processed at all).

3. Aurigan

Aurigan

@ap-unity this 'feature' makes the analytics system really hard to actually use. Can you please undo the change? Or at least surface an easy way to download the data to show what's in the others (the csv export really should detail it if the web page won't)

EyalBira and ercion like this.
  4. ercion

ercion

I'm facing the same problem. I want to know which levels were played by how many users. But with the OTHERS group, I'm not getting any useful information from the analytics. @ap-unity any suggestions for an alternative way of achieving this?

5. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@ercion,

Unfortunately, the only way to view all values for your events currently is to use Raw Data Export, which is available for Pro customers. We are still investigating solutions for how to best display this data on our dashboard.

Aside from that, a workaround might be to have a custom event per level ("start_level_1", "start_level_2", etc), but that gets unwieldy pretty quickly if your game has a lot of levels.

One option that we are exploring is showing the complete parameter value list in the CSV download. Would that approach satisfy your needs to compare the different levels available in your game? It does add additional steps to visualize the data, so I understand it is not the ideal solution. We are still working on the best ways to handle this situation.

HarryDemch likes this.
  6. ercion

ercion

I think it would satisfy my needs. I was hoping the CSV would give me the data that I needed but it didn't.

7. JuraGames

JuraGames

It would be great if at least the CSV contained the whole data. Surely better than losing information.

8. antifuzz

antifuzz

Also finding the same problem. We have a game with 20 Achievements, and when when trying to view them in the console, we only see instances of the top ten, plus the "others" category. This is useless!
    I have to use Raw Data Export and build my own method of visualising it in order to see which achievements are being unlocked????
    Am I misunderstanding something or is UA really this limited now?

9. EyalBira

EyalBira

@ap-unity

Is there any progress on this issue?
    The way the system is implemented now, it makes it really hard to answer some basic questions.

The solution of making a new event for each level : level_1_completed, level_2_completed, etc
    will require a lot of dashboard setup work to see all events in the same chart. Don't you think?

The csv export still shows the Others field.

10. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@EyalBira

There is no update on this problem. The dev team recognizes it as an issue, but there are some other projects that have priority.

Don't take that as a reason to stop posting about it though. Every post lets us know this is a high priority issue.

11. iamthejames

iamthejames

this should be a hight priority issue. thanks

12. GoGoLoN

GoGoLoN

Still no solution?

13. sa_nix

sa_nix

This issue is a dealbreaker. We try to analyze which levels require the usage of "boosters" the most, and we have over 900 levels in the game. So the "Others" is just a horrible grouping which does not allow to understand anything :(

ercion likes this.