Search Unity

Custom event reporting - OTHERS ? ...

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by alisjak, Apr 5, 2017.

1. alisjak

alisjak

HI All!

We just started using UA for our mobile VR game app, we when pulling the first set of reports of custom events to see a specific set of custom events and our internal unique user ID, and we are only getting 10 results and then OTHERS... our app is/will be used by tens and or hundreds of users, we need to be able to avoid the OTHERS grouping and have the detail data on each user code. How can we do this? what are my options? would RAW DATA EXPORT be the only option?

Really appreciate any help

Ari

Attached Files:

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@alisjak

The "Others" group is a change that was made in our front-end to accommodate some updates to our backend.https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-data-processing-limits.450266/

I would also advise against using unique user IDs in Custom Events as that will quickly reach our 5,000 event-parameter-value combination limit. Plus, our Analytics system wasn't designed to display unique data, so we don't expose that kind of data particularly well.

Raw Data Export is unaffected by any of our data processing limits (because that data is not processed at all).

3. Aurigan

Aurigan

@ap-unity this 'feature' makes the analytics system really hard to actually use. Can you please undo the change? Or at least surface an easy way to download the data to show what's in the others (the csv export really should detail it if the web page won't)

EyalBira and ercion like this.
  4. ercion

ercion

I'm facing the same problem. I want to know which levels were played by how many users. But with the OTHERS group, I'm not getting any useful information from the analytics. @ap-unity any suggestions for an alternative way of achieving this?

5. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@ercion,

Unfortunately, the only way to view all values for your events currently is to use Raw Data Export, which is available for Pro customers. We are still investigating solutions for how to best display this data on our dashboard.

Aside from that, a workaround might be to have a custom event per level ("start_level_1", "start_level_2", etc), but that gets unwieldy pretty quickly if your game has a lot of levels.

One option that we are exploring is showing the complete parameter value list in the CSV download. Would that approach satisfy your needs to compare the different levels available in your game? It does add additional steps to visualize the data, so I understand it is not the ideal solution. We are still working on the best ways to handle this situation.

IgorDemchuk likes this.
  6. ercion

ercion

I think it would satisfy my needs. I was hoping the CSV would give me the data that I needed but it didn't.

7. JuraGames

JuraGames

It would be great if at least the CSV contained the whole data. Surely better than losing information.

8. antifuzz

antifuzz

Also finding the same problem. We have a game with 20 Achievements, and when when trying to view them in the console, we only see instances of the top ten, plus the "others" category. This is useless!
    I have to use Raw Data Export and build my own method of visualising it in order to see which achievements are being unlocked????
    Am I misunderstanding something or is UA really this limited now?

9. EyalBira

EyalBira

@ap-unity

Is there any progress on this issue?
    The way the system is implemented now, it makes it really hard to answer some basic questions.

The solution of making a new event for each level : level_1_completed, level_2_completed, etc
    will require a lot of dashboard setup work to see all events in the same chart. Don't you think?

The csv export still shows the Others field.

10. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@EyalBira

There is no update on this problem. The dev team recognizes it as an issue, but there are some other projects that have priority.

Don't take that as a reason to stop posting about it though. Every post lets us know this is a high priority issue.

11. iamthejames

iamthejames

this should be a hight priority issue. thanks

12. GoGoLoN

GoGoLoN

Still no solution?

13. sa_nix

sa_nix

This issue is a dealbreaker. We try to analyze which levels require the usage of "boosters" the most, and we have over 900 levels in the game. So the "Others" is just a horrible grouping which does not allow to understand anything :(

ercion likes this.
  14. snow2405

snow2405

Here from 2019, still an issue. Please why not give an option to display all information (which you collect). I mean it cant be so hard to just change a line of code to display not just the top ten... ;(

This sounds to me as a regulation so people just buy pro for the raw data export...

15. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @snow2405 ,

Gosh, I wish it were that simple. Had it been, I guarantee that we’d have fixed this ages ago. (The folks here aren’t money-driven scrooges, nor are we idiots...though I’m sure we look like that when an issue like this arises and remains unfixed.) Let me try to explain...

When I first started at Unity, I imagined (as I think you do now) that our data was just in some SQL table that can be queried the way I’m used to. It’s not. We process data on a vast scale...billions upon billions of events every day...and pre-aggregate some of that data for use on the dashboard. The only data we can directly query is whatever’s been processed by that mechanism. Making all the data infinitely, variably queryable (as would be pretty much required to bubble up every parameter value for every custom event) is beyond the scope of our current infrastructure. It’s something we’ve thought a lot about, but it’s a surprisingly complicated job. We’ve even made at least a few starts on solving the issue, but since the scale of the change is large, it’s never quite made the cut in terms of priorities.

I’m certainly not saying we shouldn’t do it...like you, many of us have been frustrated that this hasn’t been a top priority. And like @ap-unity said above, it’s worth you continuing to push for, because we do listen...even when the appearance seems otherwise.

16. lindsaytalbot

lindsaytalbot

Still having this issue. I have an Unlock Character event and there's only two Game_Types that it can be and yet I'm seeing "GameType1, GameType2, others". It makes no sense at all

17. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Will we have an fix on this issue on day ?

I mean even when I export my Raw Data, I have a field named "Others" that regroup almost all my event.
    In our app which is not a game, we use those events to detect which menu are used and with one isn't used. But with this kind of data it's just pointless to try to do this cause others represents something like 50% of our data. SO in those 50% it's impossible to dissociate each menu.

18. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

19. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Ok my bad, I speak too fast. Indeed the content from my Raw Data Export is the good one. Sorry again.

20. signia

signia

Still waiting for a solution...

21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The solution is to use Raw Data Export, there are no plans currently to change the Dashboard behavior.

22. Eric-Farraro

Eric-Farraro

Is it possible to contact support and get a one-time export of Raw Data to determine if the format is something I can consume? Upgrading to Pro is a big leap just to use this feature, especially without knowing how the format will look for my data.

I understand the data and processing limitations and why a Pro license is required to reduce load. However, one distinction Unity could make between Plus / Pro is that both licenses allow you to export raw data, but you could cap the frequency at which export can be performed. Maybe with Plus you get one export per week, but Pro you can do daily / real-time exports?

ridley122 likes this.
  23. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

24. Eric-Farraro

Eric-Farraro

Apologies - I made assumptions that the reason this feature was limited to Pro users was due to load on Unity servers (eg: I thought it may be computationally expensive to export the Raw Data logs - hence, a higher tier of license would be required to justify that cost to Unity)

The reason I was asking about a sort of 'demo' data export was because it's one thing to read the docs about a file format; it's another to see the logs of your own data and be able try out what it would be like to work with it. For small teams, the jump between $35/mo and $100+/mo is huge. Having some way for teams to see if Raw Data is something that would fit in their workflow could help teams decide whether or not to take the plunge.

25. danielkboyer

danielkboyer

Any updates? I wouldn't mind upgrading to Unity Pro eventually but at the moment my team is very small and has a very small budget.

26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

What updates are you looking for? There are no plans to change the current behavior.

27. lindsaytalbot

lindsaytalbot

So the above is intended behavior? Inventing a third others category where only two values have been sent?

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, please use Raw Data Export.

29. ProdiggaPA

ProdiggaPA

Is there some chance there is a bug with the "others" feature? Whenever players matchmake in our game, we send an event that includes the group size. You can have group sizes of 1, 2 or 3. On the dashboard, I can see a few 2s, a few 3s, about 75% 1's and the rest as "other". Why? I just report the group size. There isn't even "up to 10" values being displayed. Just 1, 2, 3, Others.

30. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This is expected behavior. It's an aggregate grouping. You would not want to use the Dashboard to view this data.

31. ProdiggaPA

ProdiggaPA

Say in my game I had 3 character classes, and I reported an event any time someone played with a specific class (Mage, Warrior, Archer)... You are saying that I won't be able to use the dashboard to see a breakdown of what percentage of users are playing Mage/Warrior/Archer?

Because this is equivalent to what I am trying to achieve when viewing Group Size, and it seems wrong that I can't do this "out of the box" with Unity Analytics?

I must have missed something really important or made a really wrong assumption somewhere about how Unity Analytics works. This is throwing me for a loop.

32. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It should work if you send a separate event for each class. Your report could say "On Tuesday, I received 50 Mage events, 30 Warrior events, and 35 Archer events". But any per-user drill down would not be possible.

33. ProdiggaPA

ProdiggaPA

So it should work with seperate events, but not if I send an event like "RoundComplete" with event data "Character" with 3 possible strong values "Mage"/"Warrior"/"Archer"?

Psuedo code:
    SendEvent("RoundComplete",{"Character":"Archer"})

Why does the dashboard even let me view this data as a pie chart? That doesn't make any sense now. Because I cant plot 3 seperate events on a pie chart on the dashboard. It only lets you plot the values of a event data, which if I am understanding correctly is not something we should be doing because it is an "aggregate grouping"?

By the way, I am referring to this pie chart button:
    Screenshot_20201121-133925.png

So you are suggesting I should instead report 3 seperate events:

MatchmakingAttempt_GroupSize1
    MatchmakingAttempt_GroupSize2
    MatchmakingAttempt_GroupSize3

34. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@ProdiggaPA Yes, that is correct, if I understand your requirements. I would suggest testing on a separate project first, to confirm.

35. lo2w0

lo2w0

This means that the event parameters cannot be used in the Unity Analytics. I have 6 parameters with 2-100 values for each event. How many individual events will I have to send? And then how to work with it? You need to see how other analytical systems work. Maybe there you will also see the possibility of filtering events by parameter values.

36. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You can use the parameters in funnel steps. Or use Raw Data Export. We are looking to improve the UI later this year.

37. Stamp-Enzi

Stamp-Enzi

Can you at least make this a Unity Plus feature or make it available in the CSV export? Or make the limit different, and smaller for Plus, we don't have the need for 50gb/month of raw data!

(I deleted the rest what I wrote because I don't want to cry about it here. It's just somewhat frustrating that this is behind a very steep paywall that will not be approved by my company)

unnanego likes this.
  38. unnanego

unnanego

Year's almost done, are there any news?

39. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, we have an updated release of Unity Analytics coming out very soon!

unnanego likes this.
  40. unnanego

unnanego

awesome, can't wait!

41. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

unnanego likes this.