Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom event on the X axis

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by beppim, Jun 12, 2016.

1. beppim

beppim

Hi there
    Analytics in my app sends me these information for every user via custom events:

- at the end of each level, information about the level just played
    - at app shutdown, information about the top reached level

I want to understand if there are levels that are too difficult, too easy, or difficulty progression is not accurate, so have a detailed user results for each level.

I would like to have a graph of how many players reach each level, and how many players have a certain top level, so, in other words, I would like to have a graph that has, on the x axis, not time, but a value inside my custom event: for example "number" inside the custom event "level". On the y axis, the number of users that played that particular level, that is the count of users with occurences of the custom event "level" for that specific level number

How can I do that? I don't understand if it's possible, and how, and if I did the wrong thing making those specific custom events.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @beppim

What you're describing is not possible with our dashboard tools at present. I wrote about this just the other day. Let me repeat here.

Hope that helps to clarify.

3. beppim

beppim

Thank you. Raw data is more than enough, I hope it will be available soon.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

beppim likes this.
  5. beppim

beppim

I did it.
    Let me suggest, anyway, to consider to add the option to monitorize which levels and with which frequency users are playing. I think that it will be a rather common request. It's probably not so cpu consuming if you make it standard, simply counting the number of every scene loads per user, drawn with scene name on the X axis and users that loaded it on the Y axis. That way, it would be a standard representation based on automatic unity-driven information. Right now I can see that unity.sceneLoad does something like that, but I can't understand how to use it. In addition, it seems that inside unity.sceneLoad are not taken into consideration additive scenes.

I think that knowing which level is a block and how many levels on average a user plays and wins, it's one of the main goals of analytics, probably even more than DAU, that tells what is happening, but does not give any tool to understand why.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

We indeed have some plans to investigate this...but it's a complicated issue, since "level" isn't a universal concept, nor do scene loads necessarily equate to levels. But yes, we have some ideas. :)

Depends on what you're looking for. DAU is arguably the most fundamental metric for mobile, since it relates to the core question of "how many people are playing my game?" For some games, revenue is the be-all/end-all, since that relates to whether you can stay in business. Level progression is indeed important, and as I say, we're looking into ways to make this easier to instrument and understand.

Thanks for signing up, btw!

7. beppim

beppim

Yes, I agree, btw, good work with Analytics, they are a very nice product, and very easy to implement.
    DAU is the most fundamental metric, I agree, but it says that something is happening, does not explain why :) Google play store already (almost) gives this information. Anyway, I understand that is not easy to work with such a huge data.

Is it possible to include the additively loaded scene to unity.sceneLoad? That would be already a fantastic improvement.

8. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Thanks! :)

Could you clarify this, along with the use case? We already automatically track sceneLoad, as you know. How does distinguishing between Additive vs Single assist you? We're always happy to add in functionality if the use case seems like it would work for a large number of users.