Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Editor & new Prefabs - how to setup overrides?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Dreamteck, May 9, 2019.

1. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

I'm using custom editors for quite a few MonoBehaviour scripts and not all of them are using the SerializedProperties as there are just some things that I require some custom logic for.

The problem comes when I create a prefab (2018.3) with such MonoBehaviour and put an instance of it in the scene. If I try to modify references to objects inside this prefab, upon clicking "Play", these references will be reverted to whatever the prefab was set to. That is understandable because I'm not using SerializedObject and SerializedProperty but is there still a way to tell the prefab system that these properties have been overriden even though I have set their value directly in the editor?

2. Baste

Baste

Code (csharp):
    1. EditorUtility.SetDirty(yourScript);
    2. EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty(yourScript.gameObject.scene);
    or call Undo.RecordObject(yourScript) before you make the changes.

3. Dreamteck

Dreamteck

Thanks! I was already calling Undo.RecordObject but it seems that for the new prefab system, I also need to call EditorUtility.SetDirty

Cheers!

4. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

5. halley

halley

Roni92pl, thanks for your note. I was beating my head on this.

Why is this so complicated? "Oh, gotta mark an Undo.RecordObject point." "Oh, gotta also mark each component dirty that you touch." "Oh, gotta also ALSO mark the scene dirty, which may be the prefab environment or the actual scene." "Oh, gotta also ALSO ALSO mark the prefab instance property modifications for each component you touch, but does this apply if the script is not run on a prefab instance, dunno, let's just cross our fingers (oh also check if we are in play mode)."

Code (CSharp):
    1. #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR
    2.         {
    3.             if (UnityEditor.EditorApplication.isPlaying)
    4.                 return;
    5.             UnityEditor.Undo.RecordObject(gameObject, "descriptive name of this operation");
    6.             /// make changes here
    7.             var prefabStage =
    8.                 UnityEditor.Experimental.SceneManagement.PrefabStageUtility.GetCurrentPrefabStage();
    9.             if (prefabStage != null)
    10.             {
    11.                 UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty(
    12.                     prefabStage.scene);
    13.             }
    14.             else
    15.             {
    16.                 UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetDirty(gameObject);
    17.                 UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.RecordPrefabInstancePropertyModifications(this);
    18.                 UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty(gameObject.scene);
    19.             }
    20.         }
    21. #endif // UNITY_EDITOR
    Maybe the experimental prefabstageutility part is not necessary; I found that example before I found someone simply calling it on any scene regardless.

Yep, confirmed that prefabStage.scene == gameObject.scene so it's ever so slightly less complicated without that.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR
    2.         {
    3.             if (UnityEditor.EditorApplication.isPlaying)
    4.                 return;
    5.             UnityEditor.Undo.RecordObject(gameObject, "descriptive name of this operation");
    6.             /// make changes here
    7.             UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetDirty(gameObject);
    8.             UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.RecordPrefabInstancePropertyModifications(this);
    9.             UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty(gameObject.scene);
    10.         }
    11. #endif // UNITY_EDITOR

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    awesomedata and Dreamteck like this.
  6. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Afaik you don't need to manualy SetDirty Object if you earlier called RecordObject on it.
    Edit: yup, docs confirm it:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorUtility.SetDirty.html

7. awesomedata

awesomedata

It sometimes seems as if Unity is built solely for Unity's engineers, doesn't it?

There really needs to be a wrapper class for all of this functionality to show that it is indeed linked in how it is used.

With the advent of nested prefabs and now ECS representations of objects in the scene, how can anyone be expected to just intuit the required steps to modify scene objects through code on their own?