Search Unity

Custom editor, how to select an empty project folder in code

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Munchy2007, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Hi all,

as the title says, I'm struggling to work out a way to select a project folder from code if it's empty, and extensive Googling hasn't provided a solution as yet.

I'm okay if the folder has something in it, because I can use Selection.activeGameObject to select the object in the folder and in so doing select the folder, but for the life of me I can't find out a way to select an empty folder.

I'm starting to think it's actually not possible as things stand, but I'm hoping someone can tell me otherwise :)

2. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

I'm not sure this is what you want to do but if you're just looking to select an empty folder in the editor's Project window you can do this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUtility.FocusProjectWindow();
    2. UnityEngine.Object obj = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<UnityEngine.Object>("Assets/MyNewEmptyFolder");
    3. Selection.activeObject = obj;

Munchy2007 likes this.
  3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Yep, that does the job, thanks very much!

I'd already tried something very similar AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<DefaultAsset>("Folder Path"), which returned null. So near and yet so far! :)

4. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Great, maybe because it's a folder the 'DefaultAsset' type was too specific? Glad it's working anyway!

Munchy2007 likes this.