Search Unity

Custom download path

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Foriero, May 24, 2018.

1. Foriero

Foriero

Hi, PLEASE can we have custom download path so that our SSDs are not tired up. Thank you, Marek.

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Marek,

You can choose a custom download path (for all the future downloads) using the settings icon next to your profile dropdown.

upload_2018-5-24_16-54-29.png
    Best,
    Afshin

3. Foriero

Foriero

Hi, what you show me is custom installation path. :-( Im talking about path to which you download installers. M.

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    You are right. We are considering to have that option for downloads in our future releases.
    Currently, we are using the OS temp folder, so a possible workaround can be changing the temp folder path in your OS.

Best,
    Afshin

5. Foriero

Foriero

Hi,

Well temp is nice but in case we need to reinstall things or share downloaded versions on server so that others can install it!!! It is a bit cumbersome to copy it every time from temp to other place. To let 20 people download the same thing is a bit weird solution. Thank you, M

6. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Fair enough. I will propose the idea of separating download and install phase to our product team.

Thanks for your feedback

7. Foriero

Foriero

Dear Unity, are you kidding me?

I downloaded almost whole unity 2018.2b7 which is around 3GB I guess and just before it was completed I put my iMac to sleep. Then returned and to my astonishment Unity Hub is telling me that it has corrupted download file(s). That alone would not be a problem IF after I was forced to redownload that unity version you would check if in the temp directory are those parts of unity already downloaded and don't download them again.

The sad truth is that Unity Hub does not do it since as I guess unity is perceiving temp be really temp and whatever is downloaded there from previous tries is simply ignored. So it is really fun to redownload 3GB just because I put imac to sleep!!! Thumb up.

So again I humbly ( a bit angry ) :) ask you to allow us specify CUSTOM DOWNLOAD PATH and create there unity versions directories as you do in CUSTOM INSTALLATION PATH. It has several practical reasons that I stated above posts.

AND ONCE YOU DO IT PLEASE CHECK IN CASE OF DOWNLOAD FAILED AND WHEN WE TRY TO REDOWNLOAD ( REINSTALL ) THAT SPECIFIC UNITY VERSION IF THAT SPECIFIC PATH ALREADY CONTAINS PARTS THAT DON'T NEED TO BE REDOWNLOADED AND JUST CHECK SUM CHECK THEM.

Hope it all make sense.

Thank you, Marek.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. Foriero

Foriero

I guess because of the tone of the last post nobody will talk to me now. :) :) :) I was not so angry :) You guys do great job. :)

9. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @Foriero,

I promise we're not ignoring you because of your post :)
    We've heard a similar request before for the "custom download path" and ability to download once, then deploy layer (in the case where you want to share the installer pieces with other users in a larger studio) and it's noted.

Thanks for you patience,
    Daniel