Search Unity

Custom controls in a custom upm package not showing up in ui builder

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by bamial_grehk, Jun 26, 2020.

1. bamial_grehk

bamial_grehk

I verified that moving the custom control class to the unity project script folder causes it to appear in the ui builder. I also checked the "show package files" toggle and other configs that show editor controls etc but to no avail. Is there a way to move custom controls to a package and have them show up in the ui builder right now?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

They should show up. Make sure your custom controls are not in the UnityEngine/UnityEditor.UIElements namespaces. Those are always ignored by the UI Builder. If that still doesn't work, please log a bug via the Bug Reporter.

3. shibi2017

shibi2017

I saw the Unity Sample UI Builder/toolkit have a custom control window following the UI Document window in the UI builder, but my own project do not have this window. I create a subclass of visualelement, but no custom sontrol shows up. what should i do to fix this problem?

edit: tossrock is right.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  4. tossrock

tossrock

I also have this issue. Creating a custom class which extends VisualElement does not yield an entry in the CustomControls section of the Library subwindow of the UI Builder.

edit: Figured this out - for anyone coming across this post in the future, in order to appear within the UIBuilder, a custom control must:

1. Inherit from VisualElement, eg
    class NewControl : VisualElement

2. Have a public UxmlFactory inner class which inherits from UxmlFactory templatized with the custom control name.

So, a minimal namespaced custom control which will appear in the UIBuilder is as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine.UIElements;
    4. namespace com.mygame.ui
    5. {
    6.     class NewControl: VisualElement
    7.     {
    8.         new public class UxmlFactory : UxmlFactory<NewControl>
    9.         {
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  5. Xepherys

Xepherys

I am also running into this in 2021.3.8f1. It works when it's part of the root project, but moving it to a Package causes it to not be found and generates the exception: "Element '<element_name>' has no registered factory method."

6. Auroch-ChrisW

Auroch-ChrisW