Search Unity

Custom BRDF for Unity 5.x Surface Shaders: Possible?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by jspoto, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jspoto

jspoto

Hello -

I've got a terrain rendering problem on a fairly large-scale Unity 5 project, that requires a custom BRDF, using the new Unity 5 deferred renderer.

Unlike what the current documentation suggests, custom lighting models no longer work like they did in Unity 4 -- deferred or forward. They can be used, but they simply modify terms as they are written to the deferred buffers -- they can't meaningfully use lighting terms as suggested by even the simplest example in the docs (SimpleLambert, as discussed here)

Which brings me to a custom BRDF -- In my case, I'd like to essentially override the UNITY_BRDF_PBS macro as defined in UnityPBSLighting.cging, or more specifically (for the PC platform) provide a custom variant of the BRDF1_Unity_PBS shading model as seen in UnityStandardBRDF.cginc to my surface shader.

The reason: the default PBR BRDF model used by Unity simple isn't doing the job -- it takes a few (questionable) shortcuts, and the way refractive terms (fresnel) are handled result in unacceptable results at glancing angles. Which for terrain is a total deal breaker, since your typical panorama invariably includes expanses of such areas.

Is this possible? I'm hoping there's some undocumented Unity 5 shader magic, that would allow me to override the BRDF used by the surface shader -- some comments in the include files hint at this, but I've yet to find some means to do it.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks,

(PS: I'm not looking for some kind of global override, but a BRDF override for a specific surface shader)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    crudeMe likes this.
  2. crudeMe

crudeMe

I've read somewhere Unity is using blinn-phong BRDF. I wonder if I can try Torrance-Sparrow ones. Sorry for non-informative post, I'm going to watch this thread. Thanks!

bugsbun likes this.
  3. grizu

grizu

crudeMe likes this.
  4. bugsbun

bugsbun

Can you please confirm that Unity is still using blinn phong BRDF in 5.6.3 ? I would really appreciate it !

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

AFAIK, ever since 5.3, Unity uses GGX.

bugsbun likes this.
  6. bugsbun

bugsbun

Can I know the details, like I know 4 GGX variations, which one does Unity use ? Where can I read this up . Thanks!

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

There is a comment in UnityStandardBRDF.cginc (download the shader sources if you want to take a look), that says:
    That's for High quality shader (in the tier settings).

Medium should be:
    And Low:

8. bgolus

bgolus

Unity uses their own variation. So now you know of 5.