Search Unity

Custom background with LWRP

Discussion in 'AR' started by Drakulo, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drakulo

Drakulo

Hi there.

I'm currently working on an AR mini game with ARFoundation. I managed to make it work with the LWRP so I can use the shader graph.

What I'm trying to achieve is to apply a black and white effect, but only on the device camera. The 3D objects on the scene should stay colored. I tried various things :
    - Using Post processing : but it's not possible to stack cameras rendering in LWRP (source). Not sure if still relevant, I did'nt find anything new on this subject.
    - Using the ARCameraBackground component : I tried to setup the cutom Material with an unlit shader graph behind, but the screen stays white and the 3D objects are no more drawn (screen space canvas shows up). I checked various names for the input texture in the shader (like "_Texture", "_Main", ...) but nothing works.

What am I missing here ? Any idea on how to solve this ?

2. todds_unity

todds_unity

On ARCore devices, there is a single texture property named "_MainTex".

On ARKit devices, there are 2 texture properties named "_textureY" and "_textureCbCr". Please refer to the ARKit captureImage documentation for more details.

You can also refer to the ARCore and ARKit shaders to see how AR Foundation renders the background.
    • Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.arcore@3.1.0-preview.1/Assets/Shaders/ARCoreBackground.shader
    • Library/PackageCache/com.unity.xr.arkit@3.1.0-preview.1/Assets/Shaders/ARKitLWRPBackground.shader
    Todd

Drakulo likes this.
  3. Drakulo

Drakulo

Hi there, sorry for the (very long) reply time;

Thanks for the insights Todd. I finally got time to finish this up. For those who might need this, here is what I did. First some upgrades :
    • Upgrade project to 2019.3+
    • Upgrage LWRP to URP 7.1.8
    • Upgrade ARFoundation to 3.0.1
    • Upgrade ARCore to 3.0.1
    • Upgrade ARKit to 3.0.1

I created two custom GLSL & HLSL shaders based on the ARCore and ARKit ones you mentioned. A simple copy-paste with the addition of the desaturation part (see attached files).

I added the ARCameraBackground component to the Camera.

Since my app needs to run on Android and iOS, I created a simple script to automatically setup the proper Material in the ARCameraBackground component :

Code (CSharp):
    1. [RequireComponent(typeof(ARCameraBackground))]
    2. public class ARBackgroundSwitcher : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     [SerializeField] private Material m_AndroidMaterial;
    5.     [SerializeField] private Material m_IOSMaterial;
    7.     private void Awake()
    8.     {
    9.         ARCameraBackground background = GetComponent<ARCameraBackground>();
    10.         background.useCustomMaterial = true;
    11. #if UNITY_ANDROID
    12.         background.customMaterial = m_AndroidMaterial;
    13. #elif UNITY_IOS
    14.         background.customMaterial = m_IOSMaterial;
    15. #endif
    16.     }
    17. }
    Each material uses respectively the Android and iOS shader. Problem solved. :)

Attached Files:

glennMediaMonks and Saicopate like this.
  4. DasMaeh

DasMaeh

@Drakulo Thank you so much! In my project, we need a sepia effect but only for the camera image. And it caused me a lot of trouble to even know where to start especially as we also develop for IOS and Android. Your solution still works today.

Drakulo likes this.
  5. novaVision

novaVision

@Drakulo I can't get why ARCore shader is pink in URP 12.1.6. What URP are you using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.