Search Unity

Custom Android app icon not shown

Discussion in 'Android' started by Christin2015, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Christin2015

Christin2015

Hi,

I am using Unity 5.3.1f1 personal, on Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. After building my Android app, my custom app icon is not shown, there is still the standard Android icon. Any ideas how I could get rid of that one? In the iOS app, my custom app icon is applied, no problem on iOS.

What I have done:
    1. In the Build Player Settings, I dragged and dropped my custom icon to the slots, see screenshot.
    2. I created a folder "res/drawables": "Assets/Plugins/Android/res/drawable/app_icon" and put the app_icon.png there, too.
    3. checked the exported AndroidManifest.xml and the res folder. The correct app icon is exported and is in the res/drawable folder in different sizes. The manifest file contains the lines:
      <application ...

android:icon="@drawable/app_icon"

android:label="@String/app_name"

android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen"
    So, I do not understand why my app icon does not show up. Hope someone can shed some light on this issue. I thought that just a Unity splash screen would be shown as long as the personal edition is used.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. jamius19

jamius19

Show me your icon's import settings :)

3. Christin2015

Christin2015

Thanks for your reply. I tried "sprite" and "texture", but there is no difference, the icon does not show up.

Attached Files:

4. jamius19

jamius19

Can you please try adding icon on a new blank project?
    Just to check if it's not a bug within Unity?
    And if that isn't the case, then maybe Reimport All will solve it! :)

Prochilles and Christin2015 like this.
  5. Christin2015

Christin2015

Well, I tried it yesterday in a blank test project. The same icon appears correctly. What do you mean exactly by "Reimport all" ? Reimporting all icons or the complete assets of the project? While writing, could it also be related to a plugin? I am going to test the plugin and the icon, in a blank project.

EDIT: Found "Reimport all", but it did not work. Really strange.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    jamius19 likes this.
  6. jamius19

jamius19

So, this same icon works on a blank project?

7. Christin2015

Christin2015

Yes, indeed. Maybe, I should start from scratch.

jamius19 likes this.
  8. jamius19

jamius19

Have you tried deleting the icon asset and reimporting again? (probably from a different location and different name)

9. Christin2015

Christin2015

Just tried that, but it does not work either :( In Unity, is there a functionality like "clean project" like in Android Studio ?

10. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Maybe one of your Android plugins is overriding the icon? Try removing Assets/Plugins/Android as well as any AAR files to see if that may be the issue.

11. Christin2015

Christin2015

Thanks for the hint, @bitter. I removed the plugin, used another one, and started a fresh project. It works now.
    PS: I am new to this forum. Do we have to mark answers as correct or threads as solved?

12. Frieder_Mueller

Frieder_Mueller

I have the same problem but i dont have a Assets/Plugins folder is it somewhere else or what can i do?

13. fabiotgarcia

fabiotgarcia

I have the same problem, the icons I created is not what is showing, instead its showing an Android robot icon.
    How can we fix it?

eonyanov likes this.