Search Unity

(Custom) Alembic Shaders in Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Hummelvogel, May 6, 2020.

1. Hummelvogel

Hummelvogel

Good day!

I'm playing around with Alembic Point Clouds exported from Blender to Unity. It is my understanding that the Point Cloud Renderer Component requires certain distinct Alembic shaders that live in the Alembic package. However, I was unable to find any resources about writing custom shaders for the Point Cloud Renderer, i.e. what exactly it is that makes a shader compatible with Point Clouds Renderer.
    I'd be thankful for any pointers in the right direction to learning resources concerning this topic.

(Also, please by all means do point out if there's general flaw in my understanding - I'm not new to shaders but very new to alembic and point clouds and found it difficult to extract information from the internet.)

Thanks in advance, stay healthy!

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Out of the box you should have Alembic Point clouds rendering with default materials instancing cubes.
    From my understanding this material is nothing more than a shader that copies the data from a compute buffer into whatever unity is expecting for the object (position, rotation)

Granted I am not a shader expert and even less a unity shader expert :)