Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► Curved World ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

twobob, hopeful and schmosef like this.
  2. khos85

khos85

Congratulations on this wonderful looking asset, I am giving it serious thought to purchase for my game (steam greenlit) but I would like to ask if there is a way to try it before I buy it, to see if it would really suite my game to actually see the effect it has, is there a limited free version perhaps or way we could come to an agreement?

3. schmosef

schmosef

Arkhivrag likes this.
  4. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is no limit/free/demo version, but you can try PC build and Web demo.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Coming update (v2.1) will include cartoon shaders and lots of improvements. ETA 22th of September.
    Cartoon.png

schmosef likes this.
  6. Atrixx

Atrixx

This is the weirdest bug i've come across, but...

Attached Files:

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Send me an email at vacuumshaders@gmail.com with an invoice number for Curved World 2 and we'll get start working on fixing.

8. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Bad news:(
    EagleEye script does not work in Unity 5.1.3 and 5.2.

Script is very simple and straightforward: Overrides camera's 'FieldOfView' parameter in OnPreCull function for avoiding mesh culling(desappering) and then restores it inside OnPreRender function, for rendering scene with cameras original 'FieldOfView'.

Unfortunately Unity 5.1.3 and 5.2 does not restore cameras original 'FieldOfView' in OnPreRender function and it stays modified, creating wrong camera zooming effect.

I sent bug report, but who knows when it will be fixed (the same bug has been in Unity 4 since 2012).
    If bug report will be accepted I'll share it for vote.

For now, use Unity 5.1.2 or use 'MeshBoundsCorrector' script to avoid mesh culling. Unity Terrain will not work without EagleEye.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  9. protoshape

protoshape

Hi, is it possible to use different bend types for different scenes in a project ?

Thanks.

10. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

11. protoshape

protoshape

12. khos85

khos85

Hi, what does the EagleEye script do? Is this the most important one to do the "bending/curving"?

13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It solves mesh disappearing problem, without it you will have to use per mesh script 'MeshBoundsCorrector'.

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Curved World v2.1 released.
    (Delete previous version before updating!)

New:
    • Added Outline shaders.
    • Outline width can be fixed size. Feature is optional and can be turned on/off from Curved World Settings window.
    • One Directional Light shaders support Ramp Lookup texture for achieving cartoon effect.
    • One Directional Light shaders support Unity Skybox Ambient and Spherical Harmonics. Feature is optional and can be turned on/off from Curved World Settings window.
    • Added new rendering type: Additive and Additive (2 Pass). For Unlit, One Directional and Legacy shaders.
    • Material editor checks textures wrap mode for parameters required 'Clamp' wrap mode and outputs help box for fixing it.
    • Scene Shaders Overview (previously Scene Materials Manager - Menu/Window/VacuumShaders), has improved GUI and added shader search/filter option.

Fixed:
    • Emission color had no effect without texture.
    • Standard shaders Cutout and Fade rendering types shadows was not effected by texture scrolling.
    • DX11 Tessellation shaders bump map fixed.
    • Glass shaders texture had no scroll parameter.
    • Mesh Bounds Corrector script can be assigned to selected objects from material editor (Gear menu).
    • API function TransformPoint now will not have effect if CurvedWorld_Controller script is disabled.
    • Material editor's popup info box about not using Bump map will not bother any more.

Changes:
    • Curved World Settings window path changed: Menu/Window/Vacuumshaders/Curved World Settings
    • Mobile (One Directional Light) shader renamed to One Directional Light.
    • Mobile (Unlit) shaders renamed to Unlit.
    • Terrain (Mobile) shader renamed to T4M.
    • Matcap shaders removed. Matcap now is another type of Image Based Lighting for Unlit shaders, changeable from material editor.
    • One Directional Lights IBL parameter is removed. Unity default Skybox Ambient can be used instead.

Shader variables and definitions changed:
    • V_CW_BENDTYPE_LITTLEPLANET changed to V_CW_BENDTYPE_LITTLE_PLANET
    • V_CW_BENDTYPE_PERSPECTIVE2D changed to V_CW_BENDTYPE_PERSPECTIVE_2D
    • _Decal, _Detail, _VertexBlend texture parameters renamed changed to _V_CW_SecondaryTex
    • _BumpMap texture parameter renamed to _V_CW_NormalMap

15. GooGooDaddy

GooGooDaddy

I am experiencing an issue with the Curved World third person controller in which the player always snaps back to forward (0 degree rotation) whenever the up arrow (forward) is pressed. In other words, if the player has turned 90 degrees to the left, the common (and desirable) behavior is that the player would move forward based on the current rotation (so continue left) and not snap back to say "true north" when forward is pressed.

Has anyone figured out how to properly implement/modify the third person controller so that the player walks forward based on the player's current rotation?

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is no such thing as a 'Curved World third person controller'.
    Curved World - is a collection of shaders, third person controller - is a script. They have nothing in common.
    Seems you are experiencing an issue with the script 'third person controller'.

17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I have never studied the logic behind that type of racer games, so can not be 100% sure.

18. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

KvantLattice and KvantTunnel custom shaders as free bonus update. Soon.

CurvedWorld_KvantLattice.png
    CurvedWorld_KvantTunnel.png

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  19. djgriff

djgriff

wow looks awesome!

got a question about the shaders, basically when i select a Vacuum shader it creates like riveting i guess on the UV image map (see attached).. do you know why this is?
    I am using the latest unity version and up todate curved world asset version..

just wondering if this is something my end or just something related to the shader.

Cheers

Attached Files:

20. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If you mean shadow artifacts, it's Unity's fault.
    Here is unity builtin capsule, default material, default everything. Shadow artifacts.
    shadow artifacts.png

It depends on many things, like shadow type, quality, shadow bias and normal bias, camera far clip plane size, shadow cascades and so on. I mean I can do nothing with that.

21. djgriff

djgriff

Aah ok didn't realise that it was unity issue.. my bad, apologies should of investigated further.
    Thanks for the reply

Best

Daniel

22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v2.11 is available.
    • Added KvantLattice and KvantTunnel shaders (import Bonus package, check ReadMe file after importing shaders).
    • Added custom shader examples (Shaders/Examples).

23. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Got email from Unity QA related to the Curved World bug with versions 5.1.3 and above. They have reproduced it and are looking into possible fixes. Hope it will be fixed in next Unity patch or update.

24. Lialice

Lialice

Hi Arkhivrag
    Is Curved World compatible with WebGL? Would you be able to upload a WebGL Demo somewhere?
    Also, you mentioned a bug in newer Unity versions. How badly is the functionality broken at the moment?

Thanks

25. maharg

maharg

Hi Arkhivrag,
    Is it possible to get a bend type that skews the meshes toward the pivot point to get more of a circular look and feel? I'm trying to do a side scrolling rotating planet cutaway that you only ever see top third or a quarter of. When I spin the planet all the objects on its surface stays pointing up instead of out from the pivot so it looks strange when they get to the far left and right of the screen. Or is there another way I could achieve this without modelling curved tiles?

Thanks,
    James

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Curved World is compatible with all devices and platforms. Currently no WebGL demo available.
    As for bug - about 50% is not functional.

May be provide some image or video, I can better understand.

27. maharg

maharg

Hi Arkhivrag,
    Here's a screenshot of what my test came out like. You can see that the robots on the sides are stretched and skewed. I tried rotating them but then they were squashed and skewed instead.. Anyway, regardless if "Curved World" will work for me or not, it's still a very cool package.

Thanks,
    James

Attached Files:

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Unfortunately, you can not do it. Curved World does not rotate mesh vertices, it just 'displace' them.
    That effect requires completely new bend type.

29. maharg

maharg

Okay, well, I purchased your shaders anyway. Maybe you'll create a new bend type in the future.

Thanks,
    James

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

31. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey!
    i got some questions regarding curved world:
    1.) can i decide what gets curved?
    for example i wanna do a planet - but my buildings and character maybe will look weird if the get bended too

2.) can i turn off the bending during runtime to achieve something (far) similar to this:

32. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

1. Curved World is shader. Materials with Curved world shader will be bend. So you decide what gets curved.
    2. Bend type is defined for all Curved World shaders in 'cginc' file, but you can copy desired shader and define its bend type per shader. So you will be able to change bend type during runtime.

Note:
    Curved World bends mesh along Parabola not circle:

You can not achieve closed circle bend effect, but you can achieve 'half closed' by parabola:

33. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

34. metervara_molamil

metervara_molamil

Hi,

I'm using multiple cameras to create the effect of an infinitely wrapping world. To make that work with curved world I need each camera to be rendered with a different pivotPoint set in the CurvedWorld Controller. I tried setting the pivotPoint in OnPreCull for each camera that needs to render, but it does not seem to work. Should it be possible to do this or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Patrik

35. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Pivot point is updated by CurvedWorld_Controller script and it sets global shader variable inside CurvedWorld_Base.cginc file (uniform float4 _V_CW_PivotPoint_Position).

You can add any amount of pivot points and update them manually from script, but you must also define per shader which pivot point they will use.

36. ManWithTheBalls

ManWithTheBalls

Hello. I'm using the Curved World (2.1.1) Little Planet shader and I have a problem on iOS: I have to dynamically change camera's "field of view" parameter during the game. Changing it does nothing, it only works when I also change the Eagle Eye "field of view" parameter, but it cutoffs some objects on scene. It happens only on iOS, everything is OK on Windows, Mac and Editor. Is there any way to fix that? Thanks.

37. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Curved World does not support Unity versions above 5.1.3
    If you are having problems with earlier version then send mail with invoice number to vacuumshaders@gmail.com for farther support.

38. Atrixx

Atrixx

Arkhivrag likes this.
  39. khos85

khos85

Hi, this might sound like an odd question but is your asset compatible with Unity version 4.6?

40. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Thanks, I've missed that patch. Yes bug is fixed now.

Old version of Curved World does. But it is a very different curvature shader and has many limitations comparing to Unity 5th version, also it is not supported any more. If you need old (Unity 4) version send invoice number to vacuumshaders@gmail.com

41. wingman103

wingman103

Hi i just updated the new version of Curved World Shader in my project. before i was using the old version but after i updated i got errors and my old baked shaders are now displaying black and i can not control the curve anymore. can you please tell me what is wrong with my project? prob.jpg

42. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If you updated from Unity 4 version then its shaders are not supported in Unity 5.
    There is no more shader baking feature.
    With Unity 5 you must use new Curved World v2.11
    Required Unity version is 5.2.2p2

43. Reivax41

Reivax41

Hello. I would like to know, if I use a disc-shaped mesh, will I have a bowl effect ?
    And up to what distance can we see the effect?
    This is for a universe in a half sphere.

Thanks.

44. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Short answer is - Yes. But would be better to provide some references for the effect, may be I understand it in my way.
    Also note that Curved World does not 'rotate' vertices but does 'offset'.
    Effect is like parabola and not circle.

45. Reivax41

Reivax41

Thanks for your reply. The idea would be using a mesh like this
    to obtain the following effect

working on a half sphere it's complicated. It is an element very large, 20 km in unity.

46. goat

goat

I bought. I hope it is easy to use. I want to use with, for example, the default example of Opsive Infinite Runner Pro with I think already uses curved shaders of some type.

47. rerwandi

rerwandi

Hi, is that possible to make a little planet from a plane where player can run infinity in it ?

48. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, you can.

Yes, you can.

Yes, Infinity (never ending) spherical effect can be done exactly.

hopeful likes this.
  49. rerwandi

rerwandi

is it included in demo ? or i should make invisible portal like someone else's mentions ?

50. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

'Infinity sphere' means that you can not make 360 degree and come at starting point. It is never ending spherical effect.
    Curved World can bend mesh but it is not real 3d sphere.
    It's just an 'illusion'. And that's the point of Curved World.
    'Portal' was misunderstanding, such thing is not included and is not even planed.