Search Unity

► Curved World ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Curved World is a shader. Use it on all objects you want to be bent.
    For controlling curvature use CurvedWorld_Controller script (one script per-scene).

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

2. E_T_

E_T_

Thank you for the reply. Being so new to this, I really do need more specific help. If I create a terrain in Gaia, what would I need to do to achieve the small world look when moving around the terrain?

3. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

From Curved World's settings window import Unity Terrain and Nature shaders. Create new material with Curved Worl/Terrain shader and inside Unity Terrain settings change material type from Built-in to custom, use new created material.

4. raycool

raycool

Hi, i purchased Curved World last year and i love it, i am using it in one of my projects since then (its a mobile game), yersterday i updated Unity to 2018.1 and updated Curved World to the last version too, and i had problems when compiling to Android, the console shows those errors:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shader error in 'VacuumShaders/Curved World/U5 Standard/Standard': '_LightCoord' : no such field in structure at Assets/VacuumShaders/Curved World/Shaders/cginc/CurvedWorld_UnityStandardCore.cginc(419) (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD SPOT
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shader error in 'VacuumShaders/Curved World/U5 Standard/Standard': '_LightCoord' : no such field in structure at Assets/VacuumShaders/Curved World/Shaders/cginc/CurvedWorld_UnityStandardCore.cginc(510) (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD SPOT
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shader error in 'VacuumShaders/Curved World/U5 Standard/Standard': '' : 'UNITY_PASS_META' already defined at Assets/VacuumShaders/Curved World/Shaders/cginc/CurvedWorld_UnityStandardMeta.cginc(10) (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_META
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fixed it excluding the standard shader package from Curved World Settings, it was solved for me because i am using only Unlit and Particle shader in my game (and Universal bend type if it helps), i don't know if is only a problem with my project or more people are getting this problem too.

5. JordiApp

JordiApp

Hi. I am trying to use this asset with Unity 2018, using the latest render pipeline.

Now the problem is that I’m unable to use this asset,
    Because when I use, for example, the lightweight render pipeline(LWRP), it forces me to use its new standard materials, or else it won’t render.

Is there a way to “port” this shader to be used with the new render pipelines?
    Is there a way to kindoff fallback to different shaders with curved world ones or do you have any suggestion in making this work?

My second question is, are there plans to support those new shaders?

Thank you very much, our studio love your asset and we all think it’s great!

It would be great if we could integrate curved work to our latest titles, which render much more nicely because of the new LWRP.

Thanks! ;)

6. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Working on fix.

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

SRP is still in preview without enough documentation. Releasing fully functional polished asset and provide support for it currently is not possible.

8. Erikoinen

Erikoinen

Hi, I'd like to know if there is a shortcut to disable/enable Curved World Controller in Editor?

And if not, would it be easy to do it myself (how)?

9. Erikoinen

Erikoinen

I also want to manipulate the Controller’s values on runtime. How can I do that?

10. ErayT

ErayT

Is this a shader that we attach to the camera or I have to assign it to each GameObject in the scene?

11. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is no key shortcut, but in editor Curved World can be disabled from controller script
    upload_2018-5-24_18-25-25.png

For manipulating curve values from script (run-time) check API.pdf file in Doc folder.

12. JordiApp

JordiApp

Is there a way that I can do this myself?
    Correct me if im wrong wouldn't porting CurvedWorld for SRP is just a matter of changing a few lines in the shader? since its just have to fallback to a different shader?
    Or am I wrong?
    Id be glad if you could give me a suggestion for implementing this myself.
    I will also share the results here so people can use a temp solution for that.

To clarify: the current problem i am having is that the render pipeline does not support the unity standard shaders.. isn't curvedworld just a layer above unity standard shaders? there is not way to easily change curvedworld shader to use the render pipeline shaders?

Thanks.

13. ababab5

ababab5

Hello,

Thanks for this awesome asset.

I have a question: how can I work with TextMeshPro (in 3D of course) ?

Thanks!

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, implementing Curved World into shaders is very simple, just adding one vertex transform method inside vertex shader.
    Problem with SRP is that it's shaders are not Unity built-in resources yet, you will have to download entire SRP shader library from Unity github and modify all required files there. Also they are frequently updated and modified, you will have to overwrite your shaders too to keep them up-to-date.

Currently there are no TextMeshPro shaders included, you will have to modify them manually.
    Bookmarked for the next update.

15. E_T_

E_T_

Making progress now but there seems to be a bug in 2018.1 When you import the Curved World shader into the project, there is no link to Vacuum Shaders under the Window menu and so you cannot bring up the settings controller. I have to save the project, exit, then reload the project, then it appears.

16. gfaraj

gfaraj

Hi there, this asset is awesome!

The description says that it works with Toon Colors Pro 2. How can I apply the Curved World shader to materials that are using the Toon shader?

Thanks!

17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check Toon Colors Pro 2 documentation or ask publisher, he knows it better.

18. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

gfaraj and hopeful like this.
  19. gfaraj

gfaraj

That looks great!!! Awesome job.

I have a question about the models/assets that come with this plugin. Are they free to use in a commercial game? (I'm mostly referring to the road/cars in the Classic Runner sample.

Thanks.

20. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There are here.

21. gfaraj

gfaraj

22. jay_ploss

jay_ploss

@Arkhivrag, wow that spiral shader is nuts! Amazing. Also, I've noticed the link to your "readme" from the asset store blurb is returning a 404 at the moment.

23. gfaraj

gfaraj

@Arkhivrag does Curved World work with Line Renderer? I can't seem to get it to render correctly. Any tips?

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Modify LineRenderer's points position using Curved World's API:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public Vector3 TransformPoint(Vector3 _transformPoint, BEND_TYPE _bendType)
    Check API.pdf file inside Doc folder.

BTW, 2. Little Planet (Nightmare) example scene uses LineRenderer for bullet trace, check it too.

25. gfaraj

gfaraj

Awesome, thank you, I'll try that out.

26. cj31387

cj31387

Could this be used on voxel terrain like https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/9180 so that when you fly up you start seeing a planet? Then you can fly around it and end up at another point back at the terrain and the closer you get the less bent it is, the further you get the more it looks like a planet?

27. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

What you are asking for (converting plane into sphere) mathematically is not possible.

28. Erikoinen

Erikoinen

Could someone help me add the Curved World inlines in my shader? This is the guide by Curved World: http://www.parttimemonkey.com/private/curved_world_guide.jpg

This is an unlit shader that has shadows on it, which I'd like the Curved Worldedness be applied to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/Unlit-Texture-Shadows"
    2. {
    3.     Properties
    4.     {
    5.         _MainTex("Base (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.     }
    8.     SubShader
    9.     {
    10.         Pass
    11.         {
    12.             Tags { "LightMode" = "ForwardBase" }
    14.             CGPROGRAM
    16.             #pragma vertex vert
    17.             #pragma fragment frag
    19.             #pragma multi_compile_fwdbase
    20.             #pragma multi_compile_fwdadd
    21.             #pragma multi_compile_fwdadd_fullshadows
    22.             #pragma multi_compile_fog
    24.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    25.             #include "AutoLight.cginc"
    27.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    28.             float4 _MainTex_ST;
    30.             struct v2f
    31.             {
    32.                 float4 pos : SV_POSITION;
    33.                 LIGHTING_COORDS(0,1)
    34.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD2;
    35.                 UNITY_FOG_COORDS(1)
    36.             };
    38.             v2f vert(appdata_base v)
    39.             {
    40.                 v2f o;
    41.                 o.pos = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    42.                 o.uv = TRANSFORM_TEX(v.texcoord, _MainTex);
    43.                 TRANSFER_VERTEX_TO_FRAGMENT(o);
    44.                 UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG(o, o.pos);
    45.                 return o;
    46.             }
    48.             fixed4 frag(v2f i) : COLOR
    49.             {
    50.                 float attenuation = LIGHT_ATTENUATION(i);
    51.                 fixed4 matColor = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
    52.                 matColor *= attenuation;
    53.                 UNITY_APPLY_FOG(i.fogCoord, matColor);
    54.                 return matColor;
    55.             }
    57.             ENDCG
    58.         }
    59.     }
    60.     Fallback "VertexLit"
    61. }

29. SiloniGhora

SiloniGhora

Hi All,
    I am trying to use the universal bend type. When the camera faces in the Z direction, then I can change the Y bend values to bend around the Y axis. But when the camera faces in other direction, lets say -90 degrees, then I cannot get this effect. Can someone please help?

30. SiloniGhora

SiloniGhora

Hi,
    Can someone please help

Hi,
    Can someone please help!!

31. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Package includes Unlit example shader, check it. As for fallback use "Hidden/VacuumShaders/Curved World/VertexLit/Diffuse".

Curved World bends mesh along world axis, it is camera position/rotation independent.

32. SiloniGhora

SiloniGhora

@Arhivrag, thanks for your time and reply.
    If I take the endless runner example from this package, currently its building the world in the Z direction. Then it uses the Y bend type to bend the word around Y axis. So, now if I form this world along -X axis, I should be able to get the same effect in -X direction by changing the Y bend type values right?

33. mkg2w

mkg2w

34. CursedDragon

CursedDragon

35. Dangy

Dangy

Hi,

Great asset.

I was wondering if it was possible to have either multiple cameras or pivot points? I'm experimenting whether its possible to 'fake' a complete little planet using the little planet effect.

Basically will just be teleporting or wrapping the camera when it goes past the edges of a plane as well as having additional cameras show the 'other side' of the planet.

Currently the second or additional cameras located at the other side or edge of the plane just appears distorted as the pivot point was set back at the original camera.

Cheers

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

No, mesh still will have the curvature along world Z axis.

PC demo.

If that asset uses some custom shaders, you will have to modify them to make Curved World compatible.

Curvature effect created by Curved World shaders are oriented to the world space and are camera position/rotation independent.
    Each bend effect is correctly visible only from specific point, for example:
    Classic Runner

Little Planet

Cylindrical Tower

37. Blackbox514

Blackbox514

Hi,

Anybody else getting this error in 2018.2 using a clean project?
    Shader error in 'VacuumShaders/Curved World/U5 Standard/Standard (Specular setup)': invalid subscript '_LightCoord' at Assets/VacuumShaders/Curved World/Shaders/cginc/CurvedWorld_UnityStandardCore.cginc(420) (on metal)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD POINT
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR​

Repro steps,
    1. Create a new project in 2018.2
    2. Install Curved World

38. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Unity 2018.2 update will be available later this week.

39. AntonQvarfordt

AntonQvarfordt

When building this for iOS the curve is flat, as it would be if it wern't using the shader. It works on Android and PC. Any ideas?

40. Blackbox514

Blackbox514

Awesome! Thanks!

41. spakment

spakment

Hi, is there any support for occlusion culling due to the curvature?

I assume all the occlusion checks are done outside of the shader so everything is still being sent to the GPU even if it would be occluded due to the curvature. I'm sure I can tweak my far settings to handle this though so not a deal breaker, just curious.

42. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Occlusion culling is controller per-object or from camera with included scripts.
    Note, you still need objects to be rendered even if there are outside of camera view frustum, otherwise curved objects will disappear unexpectedly.

43. raycool

raycool

Hi, i found another bug, objects using Unlit or Outline-Unlit shader on Android devices renders with Rim Bias activated regardless they have that option turned off on the project (it behaves normally when running the game from unity), i don't know if it happens on other platforms. For the moment turning on Cutout rendering solves the problem but Outline-Unlit shader doesn't have that option.

44. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Seems Unity has not removed keyword from materiel.
    Try: Switch Inspector window to Debug mode and from materials Shader Keywords array remove "V_CW_RIM" string.
    upload_2018-7-31_15-56-13.png

45. tredpro

tredpro

has anyone had any luck with cts?

46. GeorgeCH

GeorgeCH

Bought it, works great, but is there a way to also apply the curved effect to text meshes (either Unity's own or TMP?)

47. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

deleted......solved!
    thanks & sorry xD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  48. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Maybe to TMP, but only those shaders that calculate text position in world space, most UI shaders do it in screen space.

49. GeorgeCH

GeorgeCH

Yep, I meant 3D text, not UI.

50. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Bookmarked for the next update. Planed for September.