Search Unity

► Curved World ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jul 28, 2015.

1. summerian

summerian

Does this work with universal rendering pipeline or only standard and lightweight?

2. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  3. Max_Bol

Max_Bol

I'm currently working with Curved World and I got to say that it's really useful for what I'm aiming for.
    Here's a preview of what it looks like :
    PreviewGraphics_Dine&Rush.png

I think that Curved World is the best lightweight solution for my project since most of the game is shown from an angle of view that, normally, would requires a lot of work and assets for the background due to the fact that, in Unity, the world is generally flat. Most of the practices when it comes to managing the background "world" is usually about faking things out, but it's always sort of a waste of memory when it comes to its actual value on gameplay and, since my project is targeting 3.0 mobile devices (can't go below that because of the interpolators limits)

My 2 biggest difficulties when I implemented the Snow shader-based effect was:
    1) Finding a way to add more onto a shader that is already close to its textures interpolators limit.
    2) Making sure the World Curve + JMO Toony Color Pro Shaders works with my own additions.

Surprisingly, it took me only about 8 hours of non-stop tests & error to reach an acceptable result.
    I actually completely restarted my attempts 4 times because I couldn't point out what was breaking the shader at some points. (At one point, the outline was destroyed. At another the Curved World failed. At another the snow was pilling up from a wrong angle or the normal map wasn't affecting the snow properly. etc.)

But, now, things are working properly and I'm finally moving forward. :D

Thanks a lot for your hard work on Curved World as well as offering such a quality of services & assistance that allowed not only us, "users", but also other tools from the asset store to work properly out-of-the-box with this awesome tool!

The strangest part of this, for me, will be about handling the physics.
    I understand that the whole Curved World process is all an view illusion, it whenever it's active it does affect the position of the vertex in the editor scene. At one point, I forgot to turn it off and the collision box of the parts I was working on was not right. As I was about to adjust it back, I remembered that it might be related to CW and... it was the case. If I wasn't "me" who worked on the level design alone, someone else could have made a really big mistake of adjusting the collisions while the plugin is active and then, later, wondering how that came to be.

shyamarama and Arkhivrag like this.
  4. Kiragan-Games

Kiragan-Games

Assets/VacuumShaders/Curved World/Shaders/Lightweight RP/Editor/ParticlesLitShader.cs(7,44): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'BaseShaderGUI' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Снимок экрана 2019-11-14 в 22.13.58.png Снимок экрана 2019-11-14 в 22.14.09.png

5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Unity Editor version?
    LWRP version?

Just tested with Unity 2019.2.9f1 and LWRP 6.9.2, works without errors.

BaseShaderGUI is part of Unity Editor and I do not understand why it gives error, may be some of your project files over-wrote it.
    Can you try package in a fresh clear project?

Suggestion: You have selected error that is the last in Console window, instead check the first error, it is in the bottom of that list. If you fix it all errors above it may be fixed too.

Amazing Assets - YouTube Facebook Twitter

FABLEGIMPS likes this.
  6. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Hi,
    I'd like to know state of this reply as HDRP is out of experimental in 7.x

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I need to wait for official release first to know what API I'll have to work with.

8. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Hey, how can i implement the curved world module in ASE (amplify shader editor) ??? i already did it just the way it's in the docs, and is not working at all, it gives an error of "invalid subscript for "normal" at line ......" the thing is the custom expression "V_CW_TransformPointAndNormal(v.vertex, v.normal,v.tangent);" is failing at the "v.normal" part... what can i do?

9. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If using with SRP try this solution.

10. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

i will try and let you know :D
    -------------------------------------------------------EDIT
    I opened the file in VS, also the template, and the #include line was already in the right place but the error is still there :/, right now i'm only working with the "TransformPoint" function, because i can't make "TransformPointAndNormal" to work :/. Could it be perhaps that this code "V_CW_TransformPointAndNormal(v.vertex, v.normal,v.tangent);" is asking for v.normal and v.tangent and i've noticed that for some reason ASE now gives that data with this name v.vertex, v.ase_normal and v.ase_tangent ????? or not? i'm so confused hahaha.

ALSO, grass is not working with the LWRP terrain shader that comes with CW :/// (not in editor, game view and compilation)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  11. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

V_CW_TransformPointAndNormal method requires vertex, normal and tangent variables. Name of variables does not matter, use those that AE offers.

As for terrain grass, unfortunately currently in LWRP Unity does not allow changing/over-writing it and I can do nothing. As soon as Unity gives such opportunity it will be implemented in Curved World again.

12. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Awesome! so for the moment i will just go for 3D planes :), regarding the initial problem, i've changed those names for the ones ASE offers, but there is still an error :(

13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Compiler error says that there is no variable with ase_tangent name.
    If there is no tangent variable available with AE, then just use V_CW_TransformPoint(v.vertex) method.

14. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Thank you :) !! going for that approach then :D !

15. Elin42

Elin42

Hi Arkhivrag
    I love your tool. I bought it a couple of years ago and i'm really happy how much it has grown.
    I was thinking about a little VR Project (first just as a small demo for the quest) but I had some problems rendering clear flags on the right eye correctly and maybe you can give me a hint what I need to change to get it rendering correctly?

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Tested on Oculus Rift and found no problems with clear flags.

Note, Curved World is vertex displace instruction that can be implemented into any shader and in your case problem may be in particular shader (or test device, or something other).
    Try other shaders, package includes Standard and Legacy shaders. Do they have the same problem?

17. Elin42

Elin42

Oh
    Looks like it was just with the cylindrical. The tiny planet works without any problems.

18. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

Hi, what is the asset you used for the bunny in the video around 0.58
    , the endless runner game? Does it come with those models?

19. christougher

christougher

20. christougher

christougher

Also, the endless runner example on the video is not included that I know of. It's just in the video to showcase the (amazing!) shader.

21. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, that demo scene has been replaced with Car Racing example.
    However, all models still are inside package and used in Little Planet example scene.

22. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

So just got that asset and added it to the project, I'm trying to recreate something similar to what's in the video, for some reason when I use the floor from the little planet demo, a chunk of it is black, appreciate any reason as to why. As soon as it goes past the player it renders ok

upload_2019-12-30_11-13-40.png

23. tomworcom

tomworcom

@Arkhivrag Hi, the Curved World shader seems to do weird things to the ambient occlusion Post-Processing as well as the Pro SSAO plugin, see screenshot. Do you have any idea on how to fix this? Or is it simply incompatible with these effects?

Top is the correct version with Standard Shader, below the one with the Curved World Standard Shader.

curved_world_ssao.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

What Unity version are you using? And which render pipeline?

25. PixelKnights

PixelKnights

Hi there,

Just bought this asset for a project I was getting started on, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to make a full sphere with the Little Planet shaders, it always seems to cut off. How do I go about creating a full planet on it?

26. christougher

christougher

Sorry to say it but you don't. This is a shader effect to emulate different curve types. It's a shader that creates a VERY convincing illusion. It doesn't do impossible geometrical things such as make a perfect spherical world from a quad. It does not make wraparound worlds. It doesn't affect colliders. So, basically what the target camera CAN see appears spherical but if you were to look at it from the side with a second camera it'd look wonky af.

The benefits of this are huge as your gameplay logic can remain pretty much untouched from a completely flat surface. There is an asset that morphs any mesh spherically but I can't seem to find it. You'll likely not find it to your satisfaction if you're wanting a nice, neat spherical world.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    PixelKnights likes this.
  27. tomworcom

tomworcom

I'm on the latest 2018 LTS and use the Standard Render Pipeline.

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Package includes Camera-DepthNormalTexture shader (inside Shaders/Internal folder). Use it in Depth Normals shader inside Graphics Settings.

tomworcom likes this.
  29. Fonefen

Fonefen

Hi, I'd like to know how you're doing with the next video,

I see that it is using cylindrical Rolloff, but in the video image it does it with two axes at the same time, X and Z, it is possible to do it like this, how? thanks

Attached Files:

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It is achieved with Little Planet bend effect, not Cylindrical Rolloff.

Fonefen likes this.
  31. Osteel

Osteel

Hi! I just purchased your asset and realized it doesn't support HDRP (I should have looked before, lol). Just wondering if there's any plans to update it for HDRP, and if so what would be the estimated release for that?

32. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Unity 2019.3 will support URP and HDRP.

33. Osteel

Osteel

Thank you for the quick response! Just to clarify, that is to say it'll be available when 2019.3 is out of pre-release?

34. JoeyWeidman

JoeyWeidman

I would also like to know the answer to this. Does the current 2019.3 version support URP?

35. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

After Unity 2019.3 is released officially (it is still in beta), I'll begin adding support for URP and HDRP.

36. Cronos05

Cronos05

Any news related to URP support? :)

37. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Working on new Curved World right now. It will be compatible with URP, HDRP, have better integration with shader graphs (Unity and Amplify) and ability to use multiple bent modes simultaneously.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    christougher likes this.
  38. jabber484

jabber484

I would like to ask if this works well with isometric view angle?
    We notice that you have mentioned the shaders are supposed to work with certain viewing angle,
    does that include top-down isometric?

Screenshot for reference, thanks!

Attached Files:

• sc.png
      sc.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  39. christougher

christougher

When you say multiple bend modes simultaneously do you mean being able to switch between them in the fly at runtime? :)

40. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Not just switch, but to use them together too. For example local-coop runner game with 4 players on one screen and each one has its own bending pass. Or two Little Planets having rocket war with each other.

Curved World was not design for orthographic cameras, due to several limitations such cameras have. But after your question I've re-checked some new features in Unity API and it will be possible to add support of orthographic cameras too.

shyamarama likes this.
  41. jabber484

jabber484

Thank You!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  42. Doh09

Doh09

Hi,

The workarounds you mention in the ReadMe for "Mesh disappearing or early culling" doesn't seem to work for me.

The 2 scripts mentioned as solutions weren't in the Curved World pack I downloaded from the asset store and the 3rd solution I haven't been able to get to work. Is it still viable in the later versions of Unity?

Hope you will have a solution I can use.

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Scripts can be assigned from Menu -> Component -> VacuumShaders -> Curved World
    upload_2020-2-23_20-50-49.png

44. Excession

Excession

Hi,
    Just trying to get Curved World to work with Unity 2019.3 and URP - as I'm still getting magenta shaders (except in unlit) and the Little Planet distortions are not working, I take it that the latest release (Version2019.5 Released: Feb 24) is not yet compatible with URP?

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

v2019.5 is a regular update. Added shaders for Google Maps SDK. (check release notes).
    New Curved World will be released as v2020.1

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  46. Excession

Excession

Thanks for the info - do you have a (rough) estimate of a release date for v2020.1?

47. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Definitely not in two weeks. Somewhere by the end of the March .

Mohamed-Anis likes this.
  48. Excession

Excession

Thanks! Great to have the feedback.

49. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

@Arkhivrag thanks for taking the effort to continue developing it!

christougher likes this.
  50. Doh09

Doh09

upload_2020-3-20_18-41-24.png upload_2020-3-20_18-41-41.png

From what I can see I have everything imported but I'm not given the option you seemingly are based on your screenshot. At least I can't select the various scripts through the menu options.

upload_2020-3-20_18-42-37.png

Any suggestions as to why that is? Would it make a difference if I upgraded my Unity version or shouldn't that matter? I'd prefer not to have to.

Thank you.