Search Unity

Curve adjustments for base particle effects?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by IllTemperedTunas, Dec 22, 2018.

1. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Been using particles for years in Unity and kinda feel weird even having to ask this. But is there a way to have curve control over material aspects of particles using their core particle systems that have been out for years?

I'm able to reference vertex colors for some level of control, but it's really wonky making adjustments using the color sliders, feels dated and the level of control is lacking.

Any thoughts on this would be great. I often would like to control "power" nodes or uv panning or any other sort of values using curves over a particle's lifetime but I just don't know a solution for this.

To clarify:

We can use curves for things like size over life on the right for several aspects of a particle, but to interface with a shader we are using the archaic and limited color system on the left that has no easy method for isolating specific channel rate of change, or the ability to tweak outside of a 0 - 1 range among many other limitations like a set # of channels (4).

Not to mention if you choose to use these color channels to adjust material properties, you are now omitting them to actually be used as a color channel for adjusting your colors in real time unless they share the same value changes as the other parameters you are attempting to adjust through the particle system

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

3. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Ah that did the trick! Appreciate the quick response.
    Feels a little wonky, fumbled a bit at the start as I added a UV4 for the custom input and didn't watch the video closely where he adds a custom xy input and it defaults to the WT coordinates of the UV4.

Regardless, this will definitely help. Would have been nice if there was a simple "custom input 1, 2, 3, 4, etc" node in the shader editors and we could just easily populate however many custom graphs we needed with simple additional graphs in the particle editor, but this works, and if i understand correctly the W and T will give a total of 2 additional graphs I can pump into my particle shaders easily with the built in shader nodes of amplify shader.

Anyhow, been fumbling with this for years and glad i finally asked. Now at some point I need to go in and adjust most shader, material, and particle systems for effects that i have made for my game. Maybe that will be my new years resolution :D

Anyhow,
    Thanks again Richard!

richardkettlewell likes this.