Search Unity

"Cursor does not display at the same depth as objects being targeted"

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by jmitcheson, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

My first upload was rejected for this reason. From searching, it seems that to fix this I need to

- Ensure GvrEventSystem and GvrPointerPhysicsRaycaster are present
    - Add colliders to objects

Is that all?

And secondly, I don't understand - do colliders need to be added to every single visible object in the entire scene, or only on objects which do something?

Thanks

2. dsternfeld

dsternfeld

Official Google Employee

Which objects need to have colliders depends partially on your application. The goal is to prevent eye strain due to mismatches between the depth of the cursor and the object that is underneath it.

There are two cases to watch out for:
    • The cursor is rendered on top of an object even though it is farther away from the camera than the object.
      • This is going to cause severe eye strain, because your eyes are getting mismatched depth cues from the object and the cursor. The cursor is rendered on top, but the stereo separation between eyes indicates it should be farther away than the object it is over.
      • Solution: ALL visible objects that can be closer to the camera than the default distance of the cursor must have colliders.
    • The cursor is significantly closer to the camera than the object that is underneath it.
      • This can also cause eye strain because it requires your eyes to constantly re-focus between the depth of the cursor, and the depth of the object behind it.
      • This is primarily a problem for objects that you expect the user to draw their attention to. For distant background environments that the user never draws their attention to, it's not as important.
      • Solution: Put colliders on all visible objects that the user is likely to draw their attention to regardless of if they are interactive.
    Thanks,

Dan

3. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

That makes sense; thanks very much for the detailed response.

4. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

Also, just from experience I was getting this rejection when I had colliders on all of my objects, but my reticle was not being rendered far enough. I had to increase the max reticle distance to solve this. Hopefully you won't run into this issue but if you do I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Duncan