Search Unity

Current state of webgl performance? Looking for help.

Discussion in 'Web' started by wuannetraam, Jun 18, 2021.

1. wuannetraam

wuannetraam

We switched from unity to Playcanvas a while ago. Playcanvas is really fast but you need to be a good programmer(javascript) and there is not much documentation. Now a few years later I see that Unity has updated Webgl in the latest beta versions. Anyone who can tell me or show me examples of improvement? Is the loading time better now? Becouse that was the reason we switched to Playcanvas.

Hope someone can tell or maybe someone who we can pay to optimize loading speed in our Unity WebGl builds.

2. aromana

aromana

Unity for WebGL improved somewhat over the past few years, but there are still many issues (just browse these forums to see some of them) and loading time remains one of them in my experience. Another is extremely long build times, as the build process involves numerous stages (C# -> IL -> CPP -> WebAssembly).

I'm not sure what you mean about PlayCanvas requiring you to be a good programmer... Unity essentially requires you to know C#, which is arguably more complex than JavaScript, so I don't think avoiding JavaScript is a good reason to switch to Unity.

Perhaps you could provide more context on what your needs are, and people here might be able to offer more relevant advice.

3. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Load times, especially un-cached first runs, is still an issue. Things are improving. The new Emscripten that will come out in a 2021.2 update soon, will have smaller web assembly builds; we're working to get things loaded and running as soon as we can get them. But load time is still an issue, especially compared to a smaller, light-weight JS engine like PlayCanvas. It is definitely an area we take seriously and will continue to work to improve.

Build times are also improving a lot, with the new incremental builder system that got added to 2021.2.