Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Current state of the ECS system?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by hsjaaa, Aug 7, 2019.

1. hsjaaa

hsjaaa

The system looks cool and the ECS data oriented design is kinda exciting. I am just curious what's the current state of the development and is there a estimate date of release? How about other system in Unity like animation and UI?
    Thanks.

2. 5argon

5argon

This image has been around for a while and I think it is the only official timeline. You may want to +1 more year from 2022 so things could get more stable.

taGEKGv.png

*Currently we over half of 2019 and C# Jobs + Burst are out of preview.

3. tylo

tylo

Could you tell me which video this screengrab is from?

4. Enzi

Enzi

I'm confident enough to say that ECS is production ready for games which uses Hybrid.
    Going pure ECS, 2021-2022 seems realistic

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  5. jGate99

jGate99

When you say production, does it mean we can launch games on mobile and desktop stores without any issues

6. 5argon

5argon

Production meant more like feature complete, as in no blockers. Issues are always there. Is Unity as a whole production ready? Yes. Are there issues? Yes.

jGate99 likes this.
  7. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

I wouldn't describe ECS as "Production Ready". That implies that it is ready for everyone to use. Right now it is only really usable if the value it provides is worth the extra effort and steep learning curve to use it. I would describe it as "Production Usable" having built several game jam games with it. It doesn't have all the game engine features that work right out of the box, but it is expressively complete if you need to do something custom. I can implement pretty much anything I can implement in a custom game engine without having to deal with platform and data issues I don't care about.

But the right answer for you depends on your needs and values.

tylo and jGate99 like this.