Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Current moderator activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechiTech

TechiTech

Yes it is. It's the same as someone calling a professional an amateur. For example look at this Link
    Now it's made by a professional right? *cough* because only a professional would consider this worth selling.. lol sorry I keep laughing because this isn't the best example, I know it doesn't look professional.. but anyway you see my point.
    Also he doesn't know any those people to know if they're noobies. They're very professional people with many years experience that chose to move to another engine because they just felt that the unity community has been ruined by certain people.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

It works both ways. You don't know any of those people to know if they are not.

3. TechiTech

TechiTech

That's where you're wrong, I know them well Ryiah. lol

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You are at 680 at the time of this post. :)

I normally don't pay much attention to likes either. Occasionally if someone says something that I think is odd I check the number to see weather they are a crack pot or a respected member of the community. But I spend that much time on here that I know most of the people well enough now to have my own opinions.

One of the key source of @hippocoder's like count is the fact that every time he locks an argumentative thread he gets about a dozen likes. That's a pretty good indicator that most of the active community like his moderation style.

5. TechiTech

TechiTech

"Sure, have at it. But I didn't name any names. So if you tell anyone I called them an easily offended newbie, then you'll actually be the one calling them that."

Looks like your skin is not thick after all :) your seem scared .. don't be I won't tell them.

"I guess it is to someone who would make a Youtube video about a forum moderator locking threads. I should have been more sensitive."

maybe you didn't understand the part about me making a documentary about game development :) come on now you can do better than that.

6. HemiMG

HemiMG

Well if that's how he does it, then I hereby declare this thread locked! For the crime of insulting our beloved moderator.

Well, I posted it publicly, so....
    And I'm not sure why I should be scared of someone who was scared off by Hippo. What are they gonna do, call me names?

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  7. TechiTech

TechiTech

like count is the fact that every time he locks an argumentative thread he gets about a dozen likes. That's a pretty good indicator that most of the active community like his moderation style.

Yes and no.. so do you know "most" people click likes even if they like something? also hippo has given a lot of help and his opinion on a lot of matters have been quite good and fair. however that doenst mean hes a good moderator.

8. TechiTech

TechiTech

there has been times though that i've agreed with him locking a thread.. especially with the same old "unity should remove the splash screen" threads. But on many occasions he's been too quick to lock threads.

Like you said Hemi, whats the harm of a little name calling. as soon as someone calls another an idiot thats it its now locked. come on now..

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I have most of the respected members of the community, at least those in the sections I frequent, memorized.

Yes. He usually makes it entertaining or at least informative. Others seem to lock without stating much at all.

Responses such as this are often on the tip of my tongue but I find myself reeling them back in because I know they only stand to make it look like I am trying to bait someone into an argument for the sake of arguing. Once someone starts doing this they begin losing credibility quickly.

His statement was aimed at newcomers in general, but yours is very much personal.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. TechiTech

TechiTech

Responses such as this are often on the tip of my tongue but I find myself reeling them back in because I know they only stand to make it look like I am trying to bait someone into an argument for the sake of arguing. Once someone starts doing this they begin losing credibility quickly.[/QUOTE]

Oh I think you need to lighten up a bit Ryiah.. it's not that bad.. lol really now.. he's said his part and i've said mine. I've also put a little smiley face .. look another one :)

" credibility quickly" you've been focusing too much on you like scores ... hehehe :rolleyes:

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You are welcome to petition our community managers to overturn any of the mods decisions. I warn you it may not work out in your favor. For reference the current community managers are @SaraCecilia, @Aurore and @holliebuckets. @holliebuckets has just joined the team, so I'm not sure on the official division of labor now. But it used to be that @Aurore was the key contact for the forums.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. TechiTech

TechiTech

hmmm now who shall I ask.... Aurore?? hmm no she's the Mother of Dragons.. that wont go well.. The holliebuckets twins... hmm not sure lol no I wont bother. I know how it goes.. you know "friends stick together" sort of thing. I'll just raise the issue about the content of my deleted thread with Lucas Meijer . He's someone that takes his community seriously.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Aurore is in charge of the community. He'll likely simply forward your issue to her.

hippocoder likes this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you can't get the community managers to take you seriously you probably don't have a case. You could try and appeal to higher authorities within Unity. I don't know how often @David Helgason frequents these forums. But he looks like a nice guy in the Unite videos.

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Unity Technologies

Maybe Lucas will have the discussion with the community managers.

16. TechiTech

TechiTech

I'm not interested in talking with him about community managers. I've said what I wanted to say about that subject. The issue I'm wanting to discus with him are to do with the content of the thread that was deleted :)

Thanks

17. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Unity Technologies

Maybe Lucas will have a discussion with the community managers to alert them to the views that a customer has and raises with him.

TechiTech likes this.
  18. TechiTech

TechiTech

Ok thanks Graham.

19. Teo

Teo

Maybe he have better things to do that losing time with all small things on forum.

I actually have an issue with hippocoder too, he's getting everything personal and is abusing moderator power by deleting everything he can.

hippocoder and TechiTech like this.
  20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Thanks guys!

Forgot this thread. My current activity is about keeping mod queues clean (they built up when I actually dared focus on my game dev, as eric is only awake 25 hours a day) and sort of shovelling people in the direction of the Unity Learn materials. A lot of new questions are solidly answered there.

I generally can sit back now as a lot of the community such as @BoredMormon and @Ryiah and @lots of other people just self-govern. There's enough positive great people around steering the ship themselves without getting all moderator-y, which is really the best place to be.

21. orb

orb

That leaves the other 75 for you. I'm sure you can make 5 of those gamedev time.

I doubt moderators would even know about the threads that they lock down unless people reported it. I know I've seen a number of threads heading to a bad place 3+ pages in, and never get locked.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  22. TechiTech

TechiTech

yeah I thought as much Hippo. Maybe you should take a break from this role.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I'm fine, thanks. Did you complain after all or are you going to keep nibbling the hippo's thick hide? :)

If you have a valid complaint please contact @holliebuckets @SaraCecilia or @Aurore directly as they are my "boss" in this respect. I recommend hollie because she's new to the job and it might be fun practise for her.

Harassing a moderator on the forums is actually against our terms though, and comes under trolling / harassment rules. You've been at me for a few posts on this thread so I thought you'd prefer to contact the people in charge.

dudester likes this.
  24. orb

orb

Not recommended. Vicious animals.

Vicious.

VICIOUS.

wccrawford and hippocoder like this.
  25. TechiTech

TechiTech

"Harassing a moderator" !! really hippo? you would consider that harassing a moderator. Well if you truly believe that then surely you would've banned me by now.

You know something hippo I was actually hoping to buy you a beer one day, seeing that you live 5 mins away from me. but after you said I'm actually harassing you I think maybe you're a little bit too dramatic for me.

Good luck with you locking threads trip!! woooo how fun it is!! lolz

26. Teila

Teila

I went back and checked TechiTech's profile and looked at some of his posts in threads before they were closed. We are all guilty, including me, of sometimes getting riled up about something but the line is crossed when the discussions start focusing on one person and resemble attacks. I see that in some of these threads.

From my point of view, thank goodness for Hippo. If not for him, we would resemble some of those rumor mongering forums out there where people discuss games and find it a sport to tear down other's opinions, and in some cases, even tear down people personally. I am grateful Hippo keeps me from going over the edge at times and he does certainly make this place a lot more pleasant.

I doubt I would still be posting here if not for him and the other moderators. One thing to remember, this is not just an open forum on gaming. It is a forum for game developers, a professional forum. A place where we discuss our hobbies or our professional work, get support, get honest opinions, and for some, a place to get feedback on their products.

It is so easy to forget that but thank goodness we have those here to remind us. Keep doing what you are doing, Hippo and others.

27. TechiTech

TechiTech

yes it's very easy to say that now Teila, but just wait until a moderator deletes or locks a thread you've created that was important to you. He could've done things much better.. anyway I'm expecting to receive a ban because apparently I've broken the rules. So see you all later.

Thanks
    Graham Dunnet And KarlJones for being truely proffesional.

28. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Nothing more to add. But this post is worth repeating.

29. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Been there, done that. I've had threads closed on me. I don't always agree with the mod decisions. But part of doing business in the community is abiding by them. And since this community is generally a nice place (unless you are one of the noobs with an MMO in the OP to this thread) the mods must be doing something right.

Teila likes this.
  30. Teila

Teila

Ha! They have closed a lot of threads I have been on and even because of me at times! LOL When they do it, I feel a bit fired up, but you know what? I am actually glad, because life is too short to get all upset over a forum post. :) Graham has had a hand in closing a few threads as well, Techi. ;)

By the way, posts can be reported as well by other contributors to the thread. I have done that myself a few times when the posts start going beyond discussion and deep into personal insults and rumor mongering. I have seen a few others state on threads that they have reported a particular person or requested the thread be closed. My guess is that is when the thread is brought to the attention of the moderators. If several people report, it is probably more likely to be closed.

This is a community. We need rules to have a safe and supportive community.

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

They're very hesitant to ban people. You would have to practically be asking for it. Or be one of those idiots who pirates Unity Pro and announces it to the entire forums. We get those people every once in a while. One of them even tried to have his account recovered and made a big deal over it. It was amusing.

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, I went back and checked his threads as well. If this were merely a matter of @hippocoder closing threads with no good reason then it would be obvious. Rather what I saw was at least one thread where @TechiTech insulted multiple people. If I were a moderator I would have closed the thread as well.

HemiMG, hippocoder and Teila like this.
  33. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

What? I can't think of anyone like that. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Competing for a position that has not been clearly defined? That's just reckless :p

Seems you may actually put up a decent fight :eek:

Well hippocoder and aurore usually post something funny as the thread is locked, what are people supposed to do? It would be dishonest to not throw them a like.

Also, thanks for mentioning likes. I just noticed I'm approaching 1337 likes. And you know what that means! ...it means I'm almost at 1500 likes despite having less than 3000 posts. A lot of those likes may come in bulk, but wowsers, 1:2 ratio!

feelsgood.jpg

HemiMG and hippocoder like this.
  34. orb

orb

Not bad. Have you accounted for post count carrying over from the previous forum, and subtracted that from your total? This is my 401st post on the new forum, and with 389 likes that gives me a ratio I can't even imagine without a calculator!

Teila likes this.
  35. Teila

Teila

My ratio beats yours, Tomnnn. :p

HemiMG likes this.
  36. Teo

Teo

I absolutely agree here. But, I want to point something, we can't express honest opinions or feedback with out be critic. And here criticism is took like an insult or something. We can't agree anything and like everything.

hippocoder likes this.
  37. Schneider21

Schneider21

I just reported this thread for being hugely derailed and request that it be locked. I recommend the OP and all members who have posted here be banned and all of their threads they've ever created be locked.

People often confuse what freedom of speech grants them. This being a private community, you are not entitled to state any opinion you like without consequence, and you are given no guarantee of the permanence of your content. By posting here you have agreed to be bound to the forum's terms of service, and the appointed moderators are well within their rights to act upon their interpretations of those terms.

On a personal note, I found @hippocoder a bit abrasive when I first started posting here, but have since realized why... If I had to deal with the amount of crap that he does, I'd be far worse. I also actually find him entertaining more often than anything now, and I've never seen a case where something was locked that I don't believe should have been.

hippocoder, Ryiah and Teila like this.
  38. Teila

Teila

Constructive criticism, which is all you should be giving on a forum...or anywhere really...does not at all resemble an insult. Disagreements can be polite and responsible. If they go over the top, they can be taken to PM.

If I were to say, Teo, you really should find a way to address your issue with Hippo that will help both of you understand your concerns, then that is constructive criticism. I am giving you a constructive, not destructive, way of solving the issue.

But if I were to say, Teo, you are too stupid to understand why moderators sometimes have to delete threads or posts...then that is a personal insult. It does nothing to help you with the issue, and honestly, makes me look bad. :)

That was obvious, but making accusations like telling a moderator that they are abusing their power, when quite honestly, based on his popularity in the community he is only doing what is expected of him, is a subtle insult. It is not at all constructive. We all slip up and do this, which is why forums have moderators. Hippo has been quite gracious in spite of two people attacking him for just doing his job.

Also, a pet peeve of mine is when posters on forums assume that they have some sort of Freedom of Speech rights on the forums, the right to say whatever they want. I see this especially with my fellow Americans. :)

Not at all true. A forum is a private place run by a private company with a specific agenda. In this case, it is to support those who use Unity. Unity 3d has the right to set the rules, delete threads, and ban people. They do not need to give any explanation why. Of course, a good company is not going to ban people unless absolutely necessary. But they do have a vested interest in keeping these forums friendly for newcomers and productive for their customers.

39. Schneider21

Schneider21

Great minds... :p

Ryiah and Teila like this.
  40. Teila

Teila

LOL

I also found Hippocoder abrasive at first and used to rant and rave about him to my Skype chat buddies. But he grows on you and now he is one of my favorite Unity people. :) It certainly helps to look at the person beneath the Forum name. There have been a few people here who went from aggravating to wonderful, in my eyes at least. They did nothing differently, I just learned to understand them.

But hard for that to happen when you put up walls.

Ony, HemiMG, hippocoder and 2 others like this.
  41. LaneFox

LaneFox

I was going to address how stupid this thread necromancy was, but I decided it was pointless.

@hippocoder You're a jerk, keep being a jerk.
    @TechiTech Find something better to do with your time. Developers don't have time for this kind of drama.

Ony, hippocoder and Teila like this.
  42. Teo

Teo

@Teila

Well, I agree with you and don't. You see I don't have a problem with @hippocoder at all. I don't like him, he don't like me. And that's it. But he delete some of my posts intentionally to show me who's the "police here". You consider this an insult? On what side?

43. Teila

Teila

Ooops, wrong person.

I have absolutely no doubt that Hippo had a very good reason for deleting or closing. Regardless, doesn't matter. You are a guest here and expected to abide by the rules. I doubt anyone dislikes you.

44. Teo

Teo

I know exactly on what posts I was talking about.

Anyway, I am very critic some time, I know that, but I don't want to insult anyone. If I ever did, I would like to apologize. Honestly.

Teila likes this.
  45. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

What previous forum?

It does :eek:

I don't think I struggled with the mods very much. Except maybe using my relevant-derail powers to keep some threads alive that the mods would probably have preferred to close :p

Teila likes this.
  46. TechiTech

TechiTech

well you're being biased and anyone reading that thread who is not taking sides would know that I was insulted first. I said at the beginning on this thread that I thought that maybe you would be good at this moderator stuff because you showed interest in the subject and I thought that's better then no communication at all which I got from hippo. But it seems you just wanted a subject so you could defend your friend.
    You if you had said that yes there was exchanges between the two of them then I would've said that you're not biased. But you just managed to take out of that, that i was the aggressor... yep it's clear you have no interest in a fair debate.

In the other thread Damien kept on twisting my words so yeah I didn't give him a cup cake. He just needs to calm down.. I know why he got so worked up about it. I'm currently living in France and whenever I say anything that recognizes English as the international business language, French people tend to get worked up so quick.. hey it's not my fault. SO I said to him to read the post again.

You will also see Carve Online being very harsh towards me. I let him get away with it once because I knew he was upset with me for asking to show more respect to another developer. But I didn't make out that I knew why he was there.. i'll let him blow off some steam if it upset him so much. but he kept on at it so I hit back. He lost control and called me an idiot.. hey I can handle being called an idiot... "I have thick skin"

so what's the big deal here? is it worth locking the thread at this point?
    I didn't run to the moderator crying my eyes out saying "Hippo he called me an idiot and now I'm sad.please lock this thread"

He came to my thread to attack me.

The better way to handle this was for hippo to have contacted him and told him to back off. it's obvious this guy got it in for me. That subject is an important one because it affects all of us. Do you want the asset store to have contact details of the author? Yes you do and you know it... do you think they should reply to you in english or chinese? Easy one.

Now I cant create a thread about this subject because hippo keeps deleting it. Why not let me create this thread and warn carve not to go there?

Now be honest with me.. which method is best to deal with this issue?

47. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@TechiTech that was quite a bold statement... ;)

Ony, Aurore, Paulohmm and 7 others like this.
  48. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. I would have closed the thread regardless of who started it all. I didn't mention other people in the thread because I didn't entirely focus on the other people but rather your own actions as that was the topic in this thread.

One thing you failed to mention by the way is that @hippocoder didn't point any fingers. He simply locked it.

Kiwasi, HemiMG, Teila and 1 other person like this.
  49. LaneFox

LaneFox

I guess you could say he put a lot of effort into formatting.... that post... (•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

Paulohmm, elmar1028, Tomnnn and 2 others like this.
  50. TechiTech

TechiTech

Wrong again. The topic wasnt about "me" it was about locking the thread. you went over to that thread and took what you wanted from it. Hey if you like likes so much.. then here you go Ryiah. I will click like on everything you say. Who knows you might get number one spot.. yey!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity