Search Unity

Question Current camera orientation?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by dgoyette, Jun 5, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm trying to make an effect based on the direction from the camera to the visual effect's center. I see there's a Main Camera node, but that's not very convenient to use when moving around the Scene view while creating effects. I'm trying to access whatever the "current" camera is, which would sometimes be the main camera, but would other times be the Editor's Scene view camera.

I see a plain old "Camera" node, but it doesn't seem to be what I think it is. It's value's seem to all be defaults.

Is there a node I can use to get the position/details about the "current" camera, such as the Scene view camera while I'm in the Scene view?

2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, yes this is something we plan to improve. As you said: considering main camera is scene view when scene view has the focus. This will help also with features set up such as depth buffer collisions.

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks for confirming. And thanks, in general, for all the recent feedback you've been providing. Nice to know the questions here are being viewed.

One other thing about camera: I'll use the Main Camera node, and just deal with the fact that it's linked only to the main camera in the scene. But what about the other node simply called "Camera"? Is that functional right now? I'm not sure what it's meant to provide.