Search Unity

Current availability of Graphics Jobs in iOS

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by roberto_sc, May 21, 2019.

1. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

The documentation regarding multithreaded rendering and graphic jobs is a bit confusing so I just want to confirm if my understanding about graphics settings in iOS using Metal is correct:

We have 2 settings in the Player Preferences for iOS:

Multithreaded Rendering | Graphics Jobs

Off | Off - singlethreaded rendering is used;
    On | Off - multithreaded rendering is used;
    Off | On - GJ is not supported, uses singlethreaded rendering;
    On | On - GJ is not supported, uses multithreaded rendering.

Can someone please confirm if the above is correct?

My source of confusion is the Graphics Jobs Availability table in https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/best-practices/multithreaded-rendering-graphics-jobs , it says "N/A" in Metal/iOS, which doesn't make sense - it should be either Configurable or Not Supported... or does N/A mean "not supported yet"? Also, why is there a check box for it if it's not available?... :confused:

2. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

You are correct, graphics jobs are currently not supported on iOS (neither jobified rendering or graphics jobs as far as I can tell.

Real native graphics jobs for Metal (on all Metal platforms) should be available for 2019.3, and there is no plan to support Jobified Rendering (as described in that tutorial).

And yeah, two conflicting checkboxes is not the best way to communicate this. It should probably be a drop down list.

3. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Thanks for your answer. That sounds awesome. I couldn’t find anything on google about it, though. Can you please point me to more info? Can I try it in the current alpha?

4. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

It's not announced yet and has yet to reach any alphas. Hopefully it should land soon and you can see it in alpha release notes (and perhaps I or someone will remember to post here as well =).

roberto_sc likes this.
  5. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Hi @joelv , is this it?? :)

Preview of Final 2019.3.0a10 Release Notes
    • OSX: [metal] Added initial Graphics Jobs implementation on iOS and macOS platforms

Also, are we likely to see any performance differences (for good or bad) in 2-core devices when using this compared to Multithreaded Rendering?

chrismarch and nicolasgramlich like this.
  6. firstuser

firstuser

Hey @joelv could you help please, can't find any info about since that release note.

Using 2019.4.21f1 and wondering if the player settings "Graphics Jobs (Experimental)" flag does anything on iOS Metal?

Thank you!

7. firstuser

firstuser

Following up for others with same question:

It DOES seem to work, but in my specific case overall performance seemed to be roughly 10%+ worse than leaving it off and it introduced some flickering issues during preloader scene. Leaving this here for whatever it's worth. It is experimental after all but glad to see it does something now! :D