Search Unity

Current 2D Renderer's missing core features

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by castor76, Dec 17, 2020.

1. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Well, I thought 2D Team would be focusing on much needed features, instead they released another demo for marketing. URP 12 is almost there and it seems there aren't many difference between v11 which to my versioning isn't even v1.1.
    Almost all Unity products lately is prone to waiting for developers. There is no room for anything.

Edit: And it seems almost only renderer developer out there is Chris_Chu.

GliderGuy likes this.
  2. castor76

castor76

It has been almost 5 months... 5 MONTHS! since I started this thread, but still no news about Emissive channel.
    I was talking about the emissive channel long before this, so it is probably being closed to 1 year for asking about emissive channel.

I mean, come on... how can you possibly make any game practically without emissive channel for any rendering pipeline.. Not sure how difficult this could possibly be, but it can't be that difficult can it? We have secondary texture feature already, we should be able to just insert emissive add operation after rendering is done.

1. Gather emissive rendering texture by pretty much doing the same thing like how mask or normal map buffer is prepared.

2. Just blit that over after the lighting phase.?

GliderGuy likes this.
  3. ThundThund

ThundThund

For me it's clear Unity company is not dedicating enough resources to the team dedicated to this part of the engine, they just don't care (I'm trying not to be foulmouthed). It's like there are just 2 or 3 devs in the department, doing as much as they can, unable to attend to all the people, like us, that ask for features / fixing bugs.

GliderGuy likes this.
  4. castor76

castor76

Indeed, feels like butter has been spread too thin. We are not even asking for little, small, optional stuff. Emissive Channel is ... like wow, it has to be there even before "Shadow" in my opinion...

MousePods, GliderGuy and ThundThund like this.
  5. esco1979

esco1979

It's because they have too much extra "bloat" in the app and it all has to be maintained. Unity over the years has really gotten absurd with giving people 20 different ways to do one thing. All in the hopes of appealing to EVERY potential customer in the market and bringing in more revenue. There really is no reason for something like this (or the new input system for that matter) to be in the state they are in and be considered v1.0 releases. SMH. It is really frustrating.

castor76 likes this.
  6. castor76

castor76

@Chris_Chu , _CameraSortingLayerTexture isn't quite working. The result is the capture of the Normal map buffer.
    Can you confirm please? Using Unity 2021.1.7f1

7. ThundThund

ThundThund

Well, I've spent a pair of days on diving into the URP source code and implementing some 2D Renderer features I've asked for so far:
    • Emissive color.
    • Blending mode.
    • Falloff offset (it was removed in v2021, I brought it back).
    • Custom post-process FX.
    • Limiting the Bloom FX to emissive / unlit pixels only.
    • Multiple render targets.
    I feel relieved to not depend on Unity's development schedule anymore, putting bugs aside.
    If any of you is as tired of waiting as me or need any of these features urgently, I can lend you a hand.

Btw I'm not using Shadergraph anymore either.

zyzyx, elZach, Lo-renzo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

@ThundThund How do you get Unity to not overwrite your changes to a package?

Also, is not using Shadergraph a consequence of your changes? Or merely incidental?

9. castor76

castor76

This is exactly why I am not very comfortable modifying the package source. If things are more like "plugin" then I would attempt it myself as well. Having said above, ThundThund managed to add all that in just few days of work... And it beats me to understand why Unity takes so long.

ThundThund and GliderGuy like this.
  10. ThundThund

ThundThund

You need to download the source code from Github and add the folders of the packages as a disk directory in the Package Manager.

I could keep using Shadergraph for shaders that don't need the new features, but I don't want to, unless I need to do quick tests when developing new shaders.

Lo-renzo likes this.
  11. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Looks like VFX Graph support has been partially added in 2021.2 beta: https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2021.2.0b1
    And...
    Seems like that means 2D Renderer is now no longer experimental.

12. castor76

castor76

I still say without proper support for Emissive channel and tilemap shadow support, 2DRenderer is still not production ready.

zyzyx, elZach, AzureMasters and 2 others like this.
unityunity