Search Unity

Curl error 51: Cert verify failed: UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FLAG_EXPIRED

Discussion in 'GameTune' started by Egil-Sandfeld, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austin-beck

austin-beck

You guys should look into modern solutions like LetsEncrypt. The fact that things like this can happen indicates a lack of a modern devops department. This does not inspire a lot of confidence tbh.

Bloody-Swamp and Colin_MacLeod like this.
  2. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Unity reporting they pushed a fix. Seems fixed on my end.

Everyone else?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  3. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Take that back, error just changed to:

Curl Error: Empty reply from server

jjrice2233 likes this.
  4. renman3000

renman3000

Go offline.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  5. seseguy

seseguy

I'm facing the same issue on Unity 2019.2
    Is it just an error or it would block some unity's functionality?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  6. AstroCool

AstroCool

Same for me:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Curl error 52: Empty reply from server
    I think fix not fully works at this time.

Game build for standalone work fine.

jjrice2233 and Tylthul like this.
  7. tuhinkarfa89

tuhinkarfa89

ohhh, I think that's mean unity's server is down.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  8. jodzjcm

jodzjcm

same. Different error same result. Still crashes my editor.

EDIT:
    it's intermittent though.

9. tuhinkarfa89

tuhinkarfa89

It seems that the error is gone. Nothing happening in my project now. Everything is ok.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  10. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Hi All,
    The certificates have been replaced and everything should be back to normal now, or in a few minutes until some cache servers are reset.
    Sorry for the trouble.

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Until the next time it happens. What was this? Why did Unity need to connect somewhere?

12. Gillissie

Gillissie

Can we get a postmortem on this issue? A lot of us would like to know how and why this happened. Thanks.

atomicjoe, jjrice2233 and sawchain like this.
  13. Archie747

Archie747

yeah, not only in unity editor, even my already built application from last week also fired this curl 51 error when I check the log with adb log on my device

14. Baschti-aus-s

Baschti-aus-s

As already mentioned: What was this? Why did Unity need to connect somewhere?

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The sound of crickets is deafening.

16. MrG

MrG

There really needs to be full disclosure of what data you're collecting, how it will be used, whether it only applies to the editor, or dev builds, or release builds, which build platforms, and most importantly, how we can opt out of it.

17. austin-beck

austin-beck

It shouldn't be too hard to put an SSL proxy between the Editor and their services and analyze the content of those messages. Judging by the fact that we started getting these errors I'm guessing they aren't cert pinning so the only concern would be if it somehow violates terms of service or something like that. Given how progressive they sound from https://unity3d.com/security though it's probably fair game

jjrice2233 and Baschti-aus-s like this.
  18. erlbrecht

erlbrecht

All that leaves us is the feeling of having unknown data be send to an unknown server for an unknown reason...
    Would be nice to clarify this issue.

jjrice2233 and Baschti-aus-s like this.
  19. Fendtastic

Fendtastic

Now the error is Curl Error 52: Empty reply from server

20. _geo__

_geo__

That's worrying. Did you use Unity Analytics, IAP etc.? I guess with all those Unity Services so deeply integrated into the engine it is unavoidable to send some data (not implying that I like that very much).

The more pressing question for me is: Did it impact your published game?
    Was the game a debug build? Did it crash or anything? Does IAP still work?

If such a thing happens then I expect Unitys code on the client side to fail gracefully. What errors should we listen for? Can this be handeled with Exceptions? From what I hear the timing of the error seems pretty random.

Would be nice if someone from Unity could give some answers to that. Let's look for solutions and prepare for similar future events ('cause they will happen).

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  21. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Whatever code Unity uses to report to the mothership everytime we try to enter play mode crashes the editor if you have "pause on error" enabled and the request fails. It caused constant crashing while connected to our company's VPN, so I had to revert to keep an eye on the console for errors.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  22. Paradoks

Paradoks

@Charles_Beauchemin
    Hello, I had the error yesterday on my build, today everything is fine.
    But i wonder, why does my unity build needs to comunicate with the Unity servers ??
    Is that a kind of backdoor or something ?
    Before it happened yesterday i was not aware of that hidden - for me at least - behavior.

@_geo__
    Obviously, if it happens again, your distant server should generate an exception.

[EDIT] it still happens...

jjrice2233 likes this.
  23. Tylthul

Tylthul

This is not resolved. As other have reported, now getting intermittent errors:

Curl error 52: Empty reply from server

Not nearly as often as the Curl error 51, but I've had my project open now for 15 minutes and it's popped up 3x.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  24. Starbox

Starbox

Change the name of the game.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  25. Davideogames

Davideogames

Same for me, I keep having "Curl error 52: Empty reply from server" every hour or so.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  26. jason416

jason416

The solution for me was to block Unity.app from connecting to pubsub.pubnub.com

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    jjrice2233 likes this.
  27. magician_creator

magician_creator

I think they fixed it.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  28. Yearwood

Yearwood

Still getting "Curl error 56: Receiving data failed with unitytls error code 7" What's the deal Unity?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  29. S4UC1SS0N

S4UC1SS0N

Still no news about why the curl is curling ?

Starbox, jjrice2233 and PokerDawg like this.
  30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe someone at Unity really misses the winter Olympics.

31. ArtistAhmed

ArtistAhmed

UNITY ADS NOT SHOW ANYMORE

jjrice2233 likes this.
  32. Yearwood

Yearwood

Any one else still getting an error?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  33. Davideogames

Davideogames

I keep having "Curl error 52: Empty reply from server" every few hours or so.
    Since Unity announced that they fixed it yesterday, I am not 100% sure if it's related, but in play mode, Unity crashed and shut down several times without any reason since yesterday... which never happened before.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  34. d34d_p1x3l_

d34d_p1x3l_

Same here url error 52 lastest LTS version.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  35. Baschti-aus-s

Baschti-aus-s

Has anybody tried to get answers from Unity on a different way of communication and already got some response which can be published here?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  36. CSuman

CSuman

On Friday there was Curling:
    NotSupportedException: System.Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod::.ctor
    at System.Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod..ctor (System.String name, System.Type returnType, System.Type[] parameterTypes, System.Type owner, System.Boolean skipVisibility) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.DynamicReflectionDelegateFactory.CreateDynamicMethod (System.String name, System.Type returnType, System.Type[] parameterTypes, System.Type owner) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    etc.

*****************************************************************************

Today (Monday) the "Curling" is gone, but the exception still persists:

NotSupportedException: System.Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod::.ctor
    at System.Reflection.Emit.DynamicMethod..ctor (System.String name, System.Type returnType, System.Type[] parameterTypes, System.Type owner, System.Boolean skipVisibility) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.DynamicReflectionDelegateFactory.CreateDynamicMethod (System.String name, System.Type returnType, System.Type[] parameterTypes, System.Type owner) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    etc.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  37. CSuman

CSuman

I tried 2019.2.8 - the problem persists.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  38. Archie747

Archie747

Actually I dont use unity IAP or unity analytics, but turns out its there on the package manager by default.
    Its not a debug build, but fortunatelly it didnt crash my app, just firing that error every several seconds

jjrice2233 likes this.
  39. _geo__

_geo__

Okay, that sounds tolerable. Thanks for letting me know.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  40. pcg

pcg

Hi Charles,
    I understand how this was happening however as a number of people have already requested, we would like to know why this was happening?
    I could understand the Editor connecting to a server for analytic purpose but why did my (development) build also show this same error.

Thanks.

Tim_Alexandrovich and jjrice2233 like this.
  41. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So yeah, it appears Unity’s trying to sweep things under the rug. I should have expected it by now.

Noisecrime and jjrice2233 like this.
  42. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

I am gathering the info and will get back to you shortly.

43. Tarrag

Tarrag

Any news or solution anyone?

Similar curl here for MacOS build: Curl error 51: Cert verify failed: UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FLAG_NOT_TRUSTED

I'm on Unity 2019.3.13. Tested on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Works fine on Editor PC and Mac, builds for UWP and Standalone.

I confirmed azure host where unitywebrequest is going has certificate.
    I checked the project with Fiddler and built project only seems to handshake with host on tunnel, I can't see Multipartformdatasection fields exchanged.

I created a fresh test project and tested the same url unitywebrequest. Worked fine. Then run fiddler in parallel and got the same Curl error above.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  44. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Hi Tarrag, you are getting this error today? I was told everything was resolved and the expired certificate was replaced. You seem to be encountering a new error but I can't tell which server you are trying to connect to. Are you seeing this in the editor or your compiled game?

jjrice2233 likes this.
  45. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Hi all,
    Thank you for raising your concern to Unity. Please rest assured that all you saw in the error message was a hiccup on our end to our normal and previously disclosed data collection. We had a certificate expire that interrupted our ability to collect the data, and you were seeing that error message. Please remember Unity provides you with a place to order data reports to see the data that we collect about you and an ability to turn off certain data collection. You can visit the "privacy" page in your account and order reports as well as change your Editor collection settings. All Unity developers may exercise these rights regardless of their license type (e.g. Pro and Personal alike). As a reminder, the usage data we collect is aggregated and anonymized, and we use it to improve and maintain our software product that you license. We do not sell this information or profile you in any way individually. We deeply respect your privacy rights, and we hope the tools we have put in for you to exercise your rights are helpful to you both in getting your data reports and in being comfortable with our data privacy practices. Thank you. If you have further questions, please write to dpo@unity3d.com.

jjrice2233 and mopthrow like this.
  46. Tarrag

Tarrag

Hi @Charles_Beauchemin , thanks for keeping an eye.

I'm connecting to an azure server, I've sent you the domain to the email address you've posted dpo@unity3d.com.

I confirmed azure host where unitywebrequest is going has a valid certificate.

I'm on Unity 2019.3.13. Tested on Windows 10 and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. It works fine on Editor PC and Mac, it also builds fine for UWP and PC Standalone. It only failed on MacOS compiled build which is what we're due to release next week, any interim work around much appreciated or will fail the release.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    jjrice2233 likes this.
  47. jcrabtree_unity

jcrabtree_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi - this is Unity’s DPO. I just saw your email. I’m pinging a couple of internal people to see what this is.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  48. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Can you give me more details on this host? We don't use any Azure servers at Unity.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  49. Tarrag

Tarrag

no worries, we've found the issue lied on fiddler firing the curl error and newtonsoft.json corrupting our request on macos only, thank you for your help.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    jjrice2233 likes this.
  50. S4UC1SS0N

S4UC1SS0N

Does it means even with everything disabled, you still send informations from a build to your server ?
    Are we sure this comply with the General Data Protection Regulation laws when releasing a game for the European market ?

jjrice2233 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.