Search Unity

Curious about where there might be a scripting need

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sarynth, May 16, 2017.

1. sarynth

sarynth

Howdy,

I've just begun to explore the Unity3d multiverse. I am a fairly competent developer, and I'm curious to know if there's a particular sub-category in scripting that could use a nice clean free or paid (or both) asset.

It looks like there are quite a few script assets in GUI, and a decent number but not too many in AI. Is there some challenge that might benefit from having another skilled developer tackle with a fresh set of eyes?

I am directly interested as a potential to create a clean easy to integrate package that may become a bestseller if executed well. But, I'm also interested as I'm going to be diving into making my own game, and as I've experienced in other industries, building a clean reusable module is often a great learning experience. I've gotten pretty good at that.

Thanks for any ideas or direction.

-Dustin

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Moved to general discussion. Scripting forum is for actual scripting, not generally discussing the topic in relation to assets.

3. mysticfall

mysticfall

I cannot think of a new type of scripting asset for now, which we don't have in Asset Store yet. But I suppose such ones like Zenject or UniRx could be the kind of assets you are looking for, so you might want to search for such common programming practices like DI or Rx which haven't found their way into the game development field yet, and create assets which implement them.

I'll offer my first born to anyone who'll find a working solution to allow me to use mixins (as in Scala) in C# on Unity environment. But I suppose it won't be easy to do that, and maybe there won't be too many people beside me who would want such a feature.

Personally, I'd love to have an open source Java/Scala APIs which can communicate with Unity clients, so I can implement my game server in Akka, which I suspect to be an ideal framework to create a MMORPG server. (Please don't take my words for it, as I'm just a newbie who came from a similar background as yours. But I cannot help but thinking that Akka (especially with its event sourcing module) would be the best approach for the job.)

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Because of no man's sky, planetary scale terrain is in high demand, however the implementation in the asset store never got fully integrated (only do basic stuff) and their there where full of request of things considered basic. The only one active now dodge the bullet by not being branded as a terrain but background object generation (which can be used a very simple planetary terrain).

If you can do basically a no man's sky asset flip, that should be a start :cool:

5. sarynth

sarynth

Thanks @hippocoder appreciate it.

Thanks mysticfall! What a great slew of insight. That's exactly what I was asking about. I'm very comfortable with DI, and with C# as a primary language I'm a little surprised that it isn't already established. I also have a lot of experience with building web API's and I have used Java a bit, but I'll have to think on how to expose a java api for unity. I'll keep my mind open to that while I'm scaling up on my unity knowledge.

Neoshaman, I'm not looking for game ideas, and I'm not entirely familiar with the term asset flip, but my understanding is that is used to essentially replicate another game. I'm more interested in what sort of scripting assets might be lacking polished offerings. I see some really well done packages for AI(A* Pathfinding), Animation (iTween), and a handful for input-output. So no need to reinvent the wheel there. Mainly curious under which stone there might not be any well polished assets available that I might be able to build something. Are you suggesting scripts to generate background objects or terrains would be valuable to the community?

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

I was being half jokey with the asset flip, just talking about planetary terrain not remaking entire game. In fact terrain in general is highest demand.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Since it sounds like you're an experienced developer but new to Unity, you might want to first take time to learn the details of editor scripting, Unity's serializer, and asset management as well as the common paradigms used in Unity projects such as its scene/GameObject/component structure, prefabs, etc. It'll save you and your customers a lot of headaches down the road.

Or, if you want to skip that, start with something that doesn't have to mesh too tightly with Unity, such as a data-driven machine learning system. Another advantage of this approach is that it's easier to port your code to other platforms such as Unreal to expand the reach of your product.

In either case, people contributed a lot of good advice for code asset developers in this thread.

8. John-G

John-G

An ocean system that has proper boat wakes and shoreline waves are as of yet unseen in Unity, plenty of ocean wave systems but none of the extra stuff to make them full ocean water systems.

9. sarynth

sarynth

Thanks @TonyLi I'm definitely interested in taking the time to learn the details of editor scripting, and the like. Cranking through several hours of tutorials a night right now. :) I completely understand and agree with becoming familiarized with prefabs and such to save time for myself and potential customers. So, thanks for that, and that thread is awesome. I'll read through it.

Cool, thanks John. Sounds like that is in line with auto-generated environment related assets.

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

Happy to help! Unity has a lot of details to absorb, but it's really exciting and a privilege to get to work with so many creative game devs as an asset publisher. Have fun!