Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Culled (backsides of) polygons no longer cast shadows

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by AcidArrow, Nov 1, 2014.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It seems in Unity 5, culled polygons no longer cast shadows, which is a problem for how I've set up a few scenes.

I can work around it, of course, but I'm not sure if it's a design choice, or simply a bug.

And I must add, it makes more sense that they do cast shadows. If something is there, there should be shadows cast.

shadows.jpg

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I submitted it as a bug report, because I hope it is a bug.

My apologies to the QA department in case it's a design decision.

Case no: 644446

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

This is by design. If you want to have backfacing shadows, then a custom shader is the right way to go. Enabling backfacing for shadows by default would make rendering shadows by default slower.

It might make sense for us to add an option to the standard shader to support backfaces shadows specifically in the standard shader material UI.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I can work with that. I still have some trouble writing shaders that properly hook up to the new systems (the new cubemaps for example), but I'll figure it out.

In any case, thank you for the clarification and my apologies to the QA department for a useless bug report :)

5. steego

steego

Would it make sense from a performance standpoint to use separate low-poly shadowcasters instead of enabling backface shadowing?

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm guessing it will depend on how complex the original geometry is. I made a variation on the Universal shader that cast shadows from backfaces and I'm going to use it selectively.