Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cubiquity - A fast and powerful voxel plugin for Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidWilliams, Jun 2, 2013.

1. PixelSpartan

PixelSpartan

Soo ma man when the 2 commin up :C

2. PixelSpartan

PixelSpartan

Also will it be for UE4 too cuz i kinda switched and would like to continue using UE4

3. DavidWilliams

DavidWilliams

There is no fixed schedule, it's just done when it's done. I'm still hoping to get a prototype of the core engine on GitHub by the end of the year, but Unity and or UE4 integration will take longer.

4. Kroikey

Kroikey

Hi David, I appreciate the hard work on this engine but have a couple of questions if you have time. The GetMesh function in Cubiquity.dll seems to be the bottleneck in my testing, I guess because of the SQLlite implementation. Is it possible to store everything in memory? I'm seeing 26ms in profiler with a small volume.

5. Kroikey

Kroikey

For others I found enabling unsafe code to stop 99% of the spikes. The files are in the Cubiquity/Unsafe folder and should be copied to Assets and modified to mcs.rsp instead of smcs.rsp. Restarted Unity and found much better performance.

6. DavidWilliams

DavidWilliams

Hi, I'm glad you found the problem. The GetMesh() function does involve passing a significant amount of data from the DLL to the managed runtime so it makes sense that this would be a potential bottleneck. But to be honest I never profiled the safe vs. unsafe methods (or really noticed any difference myself), I just provided the unsafe version because I knew it was better in theory. I'm glad it turned our to be useful!

7. DavidWilliams

DavidWilliams

Hi all,

In the past a few people have asked for a way to export a TerrainVolume to a mesh prefab. One of our users has provided me with some sample code which does this. I'm not going to integrate it because I'm focused on Cubiquity 2 now but I thought I'd share it in case it is useful to anyone. You can get it here: Export TerrainVolume as mesh prefab

8. ootz0rz

ootz0rz

For some reason I'm having issues with lighting....

When the scene is not playing, it looks perfectly fine:

[​IMG]

as soon as I hit play... it seems like the entire terrain gets covered in a shadow

[​IMG]

this happens even in the included example scenes, without any modifications... using Unity 2017.1.1f1

anyone have any ideas? :/ the lighting on other geometry (ex the blue cylinder below it) looks the same in both cases

9. DavidWilliams

DavidWilliams

I've seen this bug a lot but I never resolved it properly (perhaps the most annoying remaining bug in Cubiquity?). It actually not the shadow but the lighting, because the normals are being flipped to point in the wrong direction. Have a look at computeNormalMultiplier():

https://bitbucket.org/volumesoffun/...meRenderer.cs?at=master#VolumeRenderer.cs-213

This horrible bit of code flips the normal to try and get it working consistently on each combination of OS, graphics API, play vs editor mode, etc. This is because normals are not part of the vertex data but are instead computed (inconsistently) in the fragment shader. Unfortunately I never properly tested it after Unity 4 (and even there it had problems). Maybe it isn't even needed anymore?

I have a better solution under development for Cubiquity 2, if you are feeling adventurous and are comfortable writing shaders I could give you a snippet to back-port. Otherwise just hack that computeNormalMultiplier() function until it works for your situation.

10. pappynaidenov

pappynaidenov

Same problem. Started with Trello, but it is pretty simple and doesn't have enough features. Switched to Kanbanize. We built various Kanban boards. It fits the needs of the team and it is pretty flexible and it has great analytics panel.

11. PixelSpartan

PixelSpartan

I get the bug too and its very annoying but come on man whens the 2.0 comming :(

12. DavidWilliams

DavidWilliams

I'm sorry but it is kinda stalled at the moment. I haven't had any time to work on it for the last few months and the next few aren't looking good either :-( I'm thinking about it all the time and have a head full of ideas... just no time to implement them right now.

But it is not dead, just going very slow. Unfortunately you shouldn't have expectations about getting it soon.