Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cubic Engine

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Zhosay, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Zhosay

Zhosay

Hey,

for my upcoming game rts like I decided to switch into a cube look. As you have the ability to deform the Terrain. So I started workin on these 'engine'.

NEW Screenshots

working currently on a fps demo of the engine. If anybody can lend me a hand on the blocks would be nice (self drawn, so they suck :D). Only the tree is a real life texture.

Version 0.0.1 - Buggy but you get a basic Idea of where this is going.
    Features:

- Place different blocks
    - Transparent water expanding itself
    - Destroy blocks
    - Detecting when character is in water (so he can swim later or get damage in lava)

Known Bugs:

- Water will try to expand itself over the world boundarys (Try not to place water that can expend endless may result in a crash)
    - When placing a block under the character he will fall through the collider

Webplayer V 0.0.1

Controls are:
    Q - switch block
    X - Reset position (in case you fall down)
    Shift- sprinting
    Space - Jump

To be added:
    - Too much yet

Custom Editor:

The editor to choose the size the max limit is currently only for my Project would be possible to use bigger sizes.

Waterflow:

Flowing mechanism is one of my first key features as its required for my game alot.
    Currently its a simple solution the water moves 1 Block per second without any limits.
    I plan to do it power based a full water has 100 power and spreads to the next block which then has 80 power and so on.

Tell me what features you want to see as I may release a public version of the engine.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. IndieDude360

IndieDude360

Amazing work, I have a few ideas.

Multiplayer support, syncronises the blocks with other players.

Dynamic loading, parts of the world load up when go towards them, similar to chunks in minecraft.

Custom block implementation, allowing upto 256 blocks to be added to the terrain, and block settings, where these blocks will spawn and whether or not they'll spawn randomly.

Good luck!

3. Zhosay

Zhosay

Yeah an other User had a big list of features via pm gonna post it with the next Update of my engine.

I allow currently more then 256 blocks but i guess texture problems would appear as for now its 1 big atlas.

4. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

How is the progress?

5. Zhosay

Zhosay

Worked on transparency for water today and did some improvements expect new Video/pics tomorrow.

6. aixaix

aixaix

Nice work!

7. Zhosay

Zhosay

Added first webplayer buggy but you get a basic Idea of where this is going.

Here is a list of feature requests from Inovora (thanks for that) tell me what functions you like for the engine.

8. IndieDude360

IndieDude360

A few more ideas:

The ability to create individual worlds and set the block height (How much blocks from top to bottom)
    World generation settings (Similar to the settings in minecraft, the ability to create flatlands, normal worlds etc..)

Scallable blocks (Change the block sizes, if they're smaller they can be used to denesly populate a world with blocks for more detailed mountains and more life-life interaction with the world)

9. Zhosay

Zhosay

Added 2 new Screenshots of an fps demo I am working on. Gonna work on a simple enemy ki now.