Search Unity

Cubelands - MMO Building game - Private beta starting

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MikeHergaarden, Sep 8, 2010.

1. konzon

konzon

Good fun! I like the speed with which I am able to create a structure very quickly. I also enjoy tunneling. It is rather exciting to be tunneling along and running into another one.

The LOD is a little disturbing at times. Seeing other people floating around in the air is a little strange, only to find that when you move closer to them, they are on a wall. Are you using occlusion culling?

From a business perspective, I would encourage you to look into creating an economy. Look at the farmville citystory economic models and create some form of desirable good which a player is then able to produce on a limited schedule and then consume the output of their efforts. When demand is higher than supply, you then have an opportunity to monetize thru the sale of these virtual goods...

2. Lydekker

Lydekker

Very cool! I wondered if Unity was able to make a game like this. I liked the screenshot uploading also.

"Generating own meshes in 4x4 chunks."

So does that mean you have a GameObject for every 4x4 chunk in the world?

3. msborat

msborat

Do you use the unity networking or any other server

4. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks konzon. Yeah the business perspective will need some work. But I'll be adding some more required gameplay for that first.

1 GO per chunk yes, but come to think of it it might be better to add all meshes to just one gameobject. Not all chunks are 4x4 though, those further away of players are combined into bigger chunks.

Just Unity networking atm

5. msborat

msborat

can you only be 3 players in each server. I have heard something like that

6. Anonymev

Anonymev

I am clearly the only who who has played minecraft this was a lousy rip off game completly the same as minecraft just worse.

1. Come Up With Your Own Game!
    2. If you wanna make a upgraded version of a game include all features! (Fail By You)
    3. Get an imagination!:mad:

7. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

This game looks very nice.

@Anonymev: Just because the game involves building with blocks like minecraft, doesnt mean its a ripoff. Take some racing games for example, they are similar, but are not ripoffs. So anonymev:

1. Its not like this was a simple task, he didnt just copy paste minecraft and add HD graphics. It's not exactly the same...
    2. Can't comprehend.
    3. Get a life you lousy troll ;)

But anyways this game is coming along well. Its a shame i couldn't help test though...

8. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Is it really a mmo or just multiplayer?

9. Discord

Discord

Aren't you funny. You have obviously never heard of Infiniminer, which Minecraft was modeled after. Minecraft wasn't totally original. So if you feel that strongly, maybe you should tell notch to get an imagination too? People are inspired by other works and build off of that inspiration. This isn't even a copy, it looks like the only similarity is the block system.

10. Ethan

Ethan

Hey Leepo,

when you said you took unity's networking i wanted to ask you how many players with how many state updates/second do you get on one server with your settings? Did you stresstest this yet? :)

Thx Cheers
    e

11. PolyMad

PolyMad

It's fun when people arise against missing of originality in titles just because there is ONE or TWO other games similar... very fun because nobody arise against FPS or MMO or RPG or RTS and there are TENS AND TENS around :D

Fact is that, yeah, Minecraft had a huge success and going after it and try to do better is nothing bad. Cloning it would be bad but isn't Minecraft just a clone of LEGO after all?
    And how many clones cameBEFORE Angry Birds on the concept of "destroy the castle"? Just check Kongregate to see how many :D

But I don't want to do polemics, just take into consideration that coming out with a completely brand new original concept is way difficult nowadays and also hazardous if you want to go commercial and put resources and time and effort in it.
    So it's common use to take a good game dynamics and add some new elements in the design.

12. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Im having a bad time using unity networking along with their master server. Are you using their master server Leepo or using your own?

@Anonymev - Lately the only one ive seen doing it, and probably its because i didnt know which one inspired her, were the gravity shifter games from Shopie Houlden.

You should curse the whole industry then friend, as I havent seen any "imagination" for years now, at least on my interest area (MMO).

Take it easy man, notice that when you point your finger at someone you´ve got 3 other pointing right back at ya! ; )

Great work leepo, keep it up as usual! =)

Hugs!

13. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Except for the screenshot uploading this is basically a complete clone of Minecraft Classic with some fancy image effects. All you do is build with blocks, and that's exactly what you do in Minecraft Classic. Don't steal ideas, don't be a dick, don't ignore criticism. And no, Minecraft isn't an RPG game.

14. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Uh, minecraft is very rpg.
    RPG = role playing. In mc you can play many different roles. Especially in survival mode. While in classic it's a bit less of an rpg, it still is one.

Just because it doesn't have STR,INT,LUC,CHA doesn't mean it's not an rpg

15. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

It's not an RPG. Sure, you can build cities and roleplay in them but that's completely player-powered and not at all a function of the game. That's like saying lego is a table-top rpg because you can play with lego-men when you've built something. Also, if you're gonna call MC Classic an RPG (It's not) cubelands is also an RPG. (cubelands does not deserve capitalization)

16. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Notch said he's making it an RPG and always intended to, just not the conventional type. Hence the whole crafting, sleep, hunting etc Then there's the future additions he's planning on top of those. Also Minecraft Classic was more a proof of concept, to get the basics working before he moved onto indev and eventually alpha and now beta, it's not a focus or actively developed any longer and was simply a stage of development.

You're being silly hating on Cubelands, it's like crying over Bioshock because it's a bit like 3D Monster Maze. Besides, it's no secret Minecraft was highly inspired by another game, you should hate on that if you're going to hate at all.

17. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

There's a difference between a RPG and a roguelike. Also, No, the Bioshock thing is completely different, since this and Minecraft Classic are THE SAME THING. By the way, at least Notch gave credit to infiniminer for the inspiration and infiniminer isn't like minecraft at all. Not even like minecraft classic. And he didn't release it in a stage when it was exactly like infiniminer.

Edit: And Minecraft Classic doesn't have a single RPG element.

18. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

I can build stuff and roleplay, that is an rpg element right there

Seriously, just because you don't get to roll a dice doesn't mean it's not an rpg.
    What is it then, an fps?

19. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

As I said before, calling Minecraft Classic an RPG is like calling LEGO a table-top roleplaying game. It's not a roleplaying game because roleplaying is not a part of the game. In Minecraft Classic all you do is build and that's all you can do. What you decide to do after that is not handled by the game, but only by the player.

20. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Already told you that Minecraft classic was just part of the development process, not an actual game. He simply made it available in a player usable form because that's how he does things, same with alpha and beta.

21. Novodantis

Novodantis

Not really... they're completely different media.

Of course no idea comes from nowhere. Cubeworlds may be inspired by Minecraft, Minecraft by Infiniminer etc. What will be interesting to see is what Cubelands adds to the mix; last time I played it didn't really hold my interest to be honest, but I will be sure to try it again once it has more features.

I see the sense in looking at a successful game to see what made it good, but I wouldn't agree with 'going after it', or you'll only end up with something derivative. Take some good ideas, by all means, but I'd change the feel a little more. Infiniminer was more like a traditional deathmatch game in its feel; Minecraft went the more lego playset direction. It's also worth remembering that while Infiniminer wasn't very well known (relatively), Minecraft is arguably one of the most popular games of the last 6 months, so follow too closely and you're more liable to be overshadowed (unfair as that may be).

That said, I'm generally pretty skeptical of those that stamp "ripoff" and "totally original" on things, and there's always room for another creative, open-ended game about building things =)

22. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Well i like CubeLands, "rip-off" its just a matter of point of view. Some think it is, i personally dont htink so, and that´s it.

You cant please everyone and that´s a fact.

I just dont understand why people is hating the game so much just because its based on another one.

Anyway, who the f*** am I to judge you all.

Fight at will! =)

Hugs!

23. Stardog

Stardog

Anyone know how the mouse-look smoothing works? It's a lot sharper than any other script I've found.

24. langju

langju

Just to let me know... :)

What Mutliplayer server do you use ? unity3d built-in or another one like photon / smartfox ... ?

25. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Leepo wrote the unity networking zero-to-hero guide and put together the ultimate networking project on the asset store. Needless to say, cubelands was built with the built-in networking :)

26. langju

langju

Yes but he can choose to use another game server for it ?

27. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yes, Cubelands uses Unity networking. If done again, I would also consider using Photon.

28. pure7angel

pure7angel

How can I register for this game or get a key to play. This game looks like fun and I would love to try it out.

29. sover

sover

Hello, I know that this is kind of a dead thread, but I thought it better to revive it with new information rather than create one from scratch. My coworkers and I greatly enjoy playing the classic cubelands. We are all computer people and would greatly appreciate it if we could get ahold of a copy of the dedicated server. The current downloads on this page do not have the startdedicatedserver.bat or startdecidcatedserver.sh files necessary. If anyone could please just get us the content of those files, I'm sure we could make it work from there.

Thank you for your help. -David.

30. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Sover: for the StartDedicatedServer.bat, save the contents of a text file as StartDedicatedServer.bat

Edit: Oops, that DISABLED there doesnt look good. I believe I remember the last few builds had bugs under dedicated mode in Unity 3.5..

31. realkillerx

realkillerx

Upjers was the worst thing that happened to this game.