Search Unity

Cubed Wars

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesPro, Mar 10, 2012.

1. JamesPro

JamesPro

Well I like to have a couple different projects going at once so I currently have a Christian based 3rd person Shooter and now I have Cubed Wars that I am also working on.

Based on it's name you guys can prob. get an idea of what Cubed Wars is about. It's based in a Procedurally generated World made up of Cubes (Like Minecraft). Like Minecraft it's a Sandbox Game in which you are free to build and destroy.

At this point in time I really have no set features in mind for it. Cubed Wars is a clean slate in which I want to get players feedback and see what they want added. After all I may be the one programming it but they are the ones playing it! So it's just as much the Players game as it is mine. So here today in this post I am releasing the first Alpha version of Cubed Wars.

You are currently able to generate a new World, Dig, Chop down trees, and walk around. The World it currently generates is pretty small but there is plenty of room to dig!

Right Click on a Block to dig it. It takes about 5 times for it to dig up the block.

The HUD Explained:
    There is currently a very basic Hud. It consists of a Portrait (Currently just contains a test image), a Health bar (Top bar), a Stamina bar (Next bar down), and a Hunger bar (Bottom bar).

Stamina: You must have enough Stamina in order to Dig, Chop, ect. This is currently not implemented but will be shortly.

Hunger: Hunger effects your Stamina level. You must eat in order to refill your Hunger. Again this is currently not implemented but will be with the next update!

Health: Used in the (Future) Combat System. When your Health Reaches 0 you are dead!

Updates:
    I will be releasing Updates once a week with smaller bug fix updates whenever needed. A Couple days before the Update is released I will post a listing of changes in the update.

Hope you enjoy and Please respond here with any feature requests you guys have!

Download VA0.1:
    Windows Client - http://www.mediafire.com/?4b5rb3q8hitl5ou
    Web Client - http://cubedwars.riseofheroesmmo.com/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. 3dju

3dju

Sweeeet, man! Great scripting work!
    You could put on a webpage so it's easier to play - doesn't need to download it.
    I turned a rock into lava, I think :p very look a like minecraft.

Good luck with the next updates! I'll be following the game!

3. JamesPro

JamesPro

Thanks for your interest 3dju!

I now have Stamina working. Hunger doesn't affect it yet but once Hunger is working it will affect how much stamina regenerates every 10 seconds. Most likely I will start out with a base amount that Stamina increases and then if your Hunger is completely full meaning you don't need to eat anything more then your stamina will increase twice as fast as the base. If it's at 50% then Stamina will increase the exact base amount. Then if your Hunger is completely empty then your stamina won't increase at all.

The amount of Stamina different Actions take will need to be tweaked some but so far:

Dig = 2 Stamina
    Chop = 1 Stamina
    Build a Block = 4 Stamina

Since there is no crafting in the game yet Crafting doesn't take any Stamina yet...

4. Ch123ad

Ch123ad

I would like to check it out, but I got a mac :/

You should do a mac client...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

I would make up a pause menu for the esc button and not exit the game as I was like wtf happend when I tried pausing

also lock the cursor and press a button to unlock or something, like in Fallen Earth MMO u press tab to switch between a FPS kinda mode where the cursor is locked, and tab again to go to MMO mode where cursor is free.

So make a pause, and fix mouse.

I like your gravity settings, seem realistic for the character. Many games over exaggerate. Also when you fall will u increase velocity over time like in real life? That would be cool, maybe have a terminal velocity as well.

6. JamesPro

JamesPro

A Mac Build is on my list of things for the next update.

Also until then I will be posting a Web Build tomorrow. I made one right after the Windows Client but I never got around to uploading it to my hosting. It will be done sometime tomorrow afternoon though.

A Pause menu will be added with the next update.

Here is a quick Screen shot. You will also notice that the Hunger Stat (Bottom Bar on the Hud) is now working as well as Stamina. It still doesn't affect Stamina at all but I am done working for tonight so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edit: Ok none of the Hud elements showed up in my Print Screen... Oh well until the next update you guys will just have to take my word for it I guess! lol

$CubedWars.jpg

Edit: I was just exploring a newly generated world and came across this pretty cool view:

$CubedWars_LavaWorld.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  7. JamesPro

JamesPro

RingofStorms Request of locking the cursor is now implemented... The Cursor gets locked and visibility set to false when you first enter the world. Then pressing tab unlocks and shows the cursor as well as disables the mouseLook script so you can interact with the GUI. Pressing tab again will lock and hide the cursor and enable the MouseLook script once again. This will be released Next week with the next update.

8. JamesPro

JamesPro

Added a web based client... May add it to Facebook here soon!

9. JamesPro

JamesPro

I now have building with Stone working... and it will be added with the next update...

Left click to build and Right click to dig or chop.

10. Ch123ad

Ch123ad

I like how is minecraft like(obsess with that game), but try making your own twist and turns. Maybe your own kind of blocks, more features, better gameplay. Because if its just the same as minecaft then its just another copy. This is just a suggestion 'cause i believe if you put your own mind to it, it will be amazing.

Another thing is when you break a block and the character goes inside the hole, the camera collides with the other blocks and it makes the player see through the blocks. Other than that its great! I could help if anything!

Keep up the good work...

This is how it looks like:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  11. JamesPro

JamesPro

Yup it's a known issue... Not really too concerned about it at the moment. I'll get to it at some point.

Also as far as being like Minecraft like I said I really have no set features I'm interested in adding... This is really a game for the players so whatever features are requested are the features that will be added with in reason. The Only features of mine that I know are going to be added is Building, Crafting, and Combat as well as the features that have all ready been added. So other then that what ever this game becomes is up to the players...

12. Ch123ad

Ch123ad

I like how the game is going to be created for the mind of the players. I was just giving a suggestion b/c basically Minecraft was created for that too. But I like your ideas to keep it plain and simple for the players.