Search Unity

Cube world type game - could do with some tips!

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by iamkingjoe, Apr 22, 2019.

1. iamkingjoe

iamkingjoe

Hi all.
    I'm new to Unity, but have watched some tutorials and know a little of the basics. I have some friends and family members who create successful Android/iOS games so they may be able to help me. I'm quite interested in game developing, so I started with Unity.

The plan:
    -Making a 3D cube world style game with several skills to level etc.

I know this will be a big project as it will be an Indie game development however I am willing to put loads of time into this.

-Graphics.
    I know 3D graphics design can be a big pile of work, so the idea is to keep it relatively simple, but attractive. I want to do this by making the graphics similar to those of CubeWorld: items consist of small cubes & the textures are plain/easy on the eyes. To create items, I have found a very simple tool called Zoxel, which one of my friends told me about.

-The world
    This is probably my biggest problem as of right now and my main focus. I would adore to have that of a terrain such as cubeworld. The random generation in cubeworld is literally the exact thing I'm looking for in my game. After I have sorted this I will need to create biomes and merge them together so it's a smooth transition from each biome and not that of Trove. I would also like to make it so it loads chunks and can be infinite with no borders, exactly like cubeworld/minecraft.

Below are some other ideas but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself yet!
    -Animations

-Scripting, AI, Objects, Classes, that kinda stuff

-Putting everything together

So that about sums up my plan as of right now. I would greatly appreciate any help concerning the things mentioned above. Of course, any other tips are very welcome aswell. IF you haven't gathered by now I basically want to create a similar version of cubeworld but more updated as that game had so much potential in my eyes and I wanted the developers to do so much to it but they never did.

Thanks in advance!
    - Joe

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Volcanicus

Volcanicus

Sounds like MapleStory 2.
    If you're new to Unity, I recommend you practice the basics to know what you can and cannot do in Unity and when to get scripting. Do you have friends that would be interested in this? If so, start together and see what your strengths are and work on the project together as partners rather than trying to solo.
    You cannot solo if you don't want to do animations, scripting, classes and putting it together.

I also made a post here on my personal journey and how I got to where I am:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/need-help-with-beginning-3d-game-design.659494/#post-4420072

Try it out.

xVergilx likes this.
  3. iamkingjoe

iamkingjoe

Firstly, I can navigate around unity and personally have made a few simple games (one a bit like terraria) so I think I'm up to grips on the basics and some scripting.

Secondly, I have no friends which are into reviving this game as for some of them videogame development is their job and they have to update their own games to keep the playerbase interested consistently.

Finally, I would like to do animations, scripting, classes and putting it together but all of that is unnecesarry for me as of right now as I need to focus on worldgen etc. Once that is complete I will then add some simple animation etc and get players working in correlation to the world.

4. YBtheS

YBtheS

There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube and other platforms that'll go through how to make that kind of terrain generation. Here is one tutorial video. You should probably look around though and see if you like the tutorial style of one person of another.

Edit: Also that video is only a year old so not enough should have changed for the tutorial to not work for the newest version of Unity.

5. iamkingjoe

iamkingjoe

Thank you so much man, I've searched but not found anything. It's all for none cube games but thank you so much :D
    I have also now got a few friends working on the project with me now :)

YBtheS likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Below is my recommendation. I haven't finished watching them (I've only gotten halfway through the first video and I'm time crunched on another project) but the author explains the code as he is writing it which is one of the most important things to me when it comes to a tutorial series.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVsTSlfj0qsWEJ-5eMtXsYp03Y9yF1dEn

7. validname1

validname1

xVergilx and YBtheS like this.
  8. iamkingjoe

iamkingjoe

I don't understand? Surely it will be fine on a world such as minecraft where chunks are unloaded and loaded etc. If so and it's game breaking then what other engine should I use?

9. kdgalla

kdgalla

What he means is, you want to keep the location of things from getting too far away from the origin (0,0,0) I can't remember exactly where it starts to get wonky, but maybe it's 10000 units from the origin? I've never made a game that huge before. It's not really an engine limitation, it's more of a computers-in-general limitation.

Professional games usually have some sort of system for re-centering the entire world to avoid this problem. It's not necessarily a difficult thing, but @validname1 is just suggesting that it might make your life easier if you create this feature earlier rather than trying to retrofit it on later.

xVergilx, validname1 and YBtheS like this.
  10. iamkingjoe

iamkingjoe

Okay, thank you for the advice guys

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's scale dependent. A float has exactly seven digits of accuracy. If your game works with very small objects then the errors will kick in far sooner than if you were working with very large objects.

xVergilx likes this.
  12. xVergilx

xVergilx

If you're really going to make your game totally out of voxels, I suggest looking some already made voxel assets from the asset store.

It will cut down major time loss from reinventing the wheel.