Search Unity

Cube placing on edges of cubes

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Senpai_Remling, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Senpai_Remling

Senpai_Remling

Hey,

For a game i make i currently work on a building mechanic. i've got everything working just fine, just one little thing i cant figure out how to avoid.

The problem is, if you loot at the edge of a cube you placed you will place a cube that is floating in the air without beeing "connected" to another cube.

here an image for better understanding:

here is the code that is responsible for the cube placement:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Physics.Raycast(ray, out raycasthit, placeRange))
    2. {
    3.     if (raycasthit.transform.gameObject.tag == "Block" || raycasthit.transform.gameObject.tag == "Ground")
    4.     {
    5.         if (mode == 0)
    6.         {
    7.             Vector3 hitpoint = ray.GetPoint(raycasthit.distance - 0.2f);
    9.             float ypos = ((hitpoint.y % 1 != 0) ? Mathf.FloorToInt(hitpoint.y) : hitpoint.y) + 0.5f;
    11.             Vector3 placeAt = new Vector3(Mathf.RoundToInt(hitpoint.x), ypos, Mathf.RoundToInt(hitpoint.z));
    12.             blockPlaceholder.transform.position = placeAt;
    13.             blockPlaceholder.SetActive(true);
    14.         }
    15.     }
    16. }
    18. if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
    19. {
    20.     if(mode == 0)
    21.     {
    22.         GameObject newblock = Instantiate(block, blockPlaceholder.transform.position, Quaternion.Euler(Vector3.zero));
    23.     }
    24. }

Ignore the "mode". This is a very cutdown version of the script since there is a lot of other stuff in there too.

i include the whole package too so you can test it out and change stuff easier.

would love to get some ideas on how to avoid this.

Attached Files:

2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

Raycast down from the cube you're about to place by 1 cube length distance and if there's nothing there, don't place the original cube?