Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. DGordon

DGordon

Im having a strange bug. When I hit play, my terrain stuff changes. Everything looks fine in the editor until the game starts, then goes back to being fine after the game stops. It seems to be doing the same thing as if I deleted the profile from the "Add CTS to Terrain" component. If I leave that blank at edit time and hit play, it looks exactly the same.

[Edit - Created a new CTS profile through the top menu. Its still not working right. When I rebake the profile it switches my tiling back to a set number, when I hit play its ignoring this, etc etc. Not sure whats wrong. It even does this on my terrain with the pre-made profiles, it wont respect any changes to brightness etc once I hit play.]

[Edit 2 - Okay, now the tops of my mountains turned black, and I cant get it to go back to normal. This happened to me earlier today also. Im using Gaia Pro, but I havent changed anything on the terrain in ages.]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. BryanPW

BryanPW

That honestly I would need to look into I saw your message on discord so I will message you there!

3. BryanPW

BryanPW

I will look into this and let you know on Monday!

4. DGordon

DGordon

Thanks! Im using 2020.1.1f1 built in. Im just starting out to learn how to use this + Gaia Pro, but there were quite a few times when I didnt know what else to do but nuke the terrain and start over. Deleting the terrain and remaking it using Gaia got rid of the black mountain, which I had to do at least twice yesterday if not more ... I feel like I had to nuke my test terrain at least 4 times. At first I thought I did something wrong, but now Im leaning towards saying I just hit a bug. I still have the CTS profile bug though and figuring Ill have to delete CTS and reimport the package to get things back to normal (hopefully).

Im still in the stages of learning this to use it for real, but this definitely would have destroyed any real work I did with it, so thanks for the quick turn around!

[Edit - I'm on a 4k alienware laptop thats about 3 months old ... rtx 2060 is the worst thing on its list, everything else was pretty much maxed, so assume my specs shouldnt be causing any issues]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  5. BryanPW

BryanPW

If the textures are black then it may be that you need to rebake the textures themselves. This can be done by going to the CTS profile itself and going all the way to the bottom there is a button there that says bake textures. I would try this as well.

6. EntertainmentEnterprise

EntertainmentEnterprise

Can someonw please help, I've tried everything. I import CTS 2019 now and get a CTSMeshBlenderEditor.cs.meta has an invalid Guid error... Please help

7. EntertainmentEnterprise

EntertainmentEnterprise

Can you please advise on the meta Guid issue with CTSMeshBlenderEditor.cs? This particular file is not usable until I have a fix for this and it is the only remaining error in our project left. Thank you for your help.

Edit: It's fixed, Adam helped and I am dumb.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  8. wuming888

wuming888

After the texture is baked, black squares will appear. The demo scene is used.
    I am using Mac 10.15.6, unity2019.4.4
    See the screenshot for details 截屏2020-10-13 下午3.06.44.png

9. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hi- I used CTS to create & apply general terrain textures for my game.

Now, I want to go back in, and fine-tune the results by doing a tad of hand-painting.

Every time I try to do this, unity locks up.

Is there a specific procedure I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

10. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hi.

This is what I get, when I try to access CTS tutorials via your website:

upload_2020-10-20_13-10-27.png

Can you please assist in finding CTS documentation/tutorials?

11. OakSir

OakSir

Does cts work with Unity 2019.4.7f1? I'm getting GUID errors message. I tryed 2018.3 and it works in that version. This is bad =(

12. BryanPW

BryanPW

13. BryanPW

BryanPW

It should work in 2019.4 can you please send me the errors that you are getting?

14. BryanPW

BryanPW

Does it appear to be the same if you switched back to basic shading?

Does it make a difference if instancing is turned off?

Can you please try a different splay map as this looks to be pixelated?

15. BryanPW

BryanPW

Are you using CTS 2019 or the regular CTS?

16. OakSir

OakSir

I have both. Tryed both. I already imported my project to 2019.3 . Everything is working perfectly now.

17. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

18. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I saw @AdamGoodrich or one of the PW team mention somewhere that they removed a lot of the outdated tutorial videos because things changed so drastically in the 2.x versions. Here are links to their current tutorial videos available for Gaia and CTS. Unfortunately I don't see any that are just for mobile...

Gaia -> https://www.procedural-worlds.com/products/indie/gaia/gaia-tutorials/
    Gaia Pro -> https://www.procedural-worlds.com/products/professional/gaia-pro/gaia-pro-tutorials/
    CTS -> https://www.procedural-worlds.com/products/indie/cts-complete-terrain-shader/cts-tutorials/

AdamGoodrich and Fibonaccov like this.
  19. BryanPW

BryanPW

Fibonaccov and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone,

CTS has now been deprecated, and we have also announced our intention to deprecate CTS 2019.

CTS was a collaboration between @NatureManufacture and Procedural Worlds. NatureManufature did the shaders, and we did the UX and scripting, as well as sales and support.

As time progresses things change. Our organisations are going in different directions and CTS does not cover its costs to the point that neither Bart or I wanted to continue with it.

As the shader part of CTS was created by Bart, then it is his IP. We do not have the source code to it and he has not given us permission to use it. Additionally, he would prefer us to make a clean break, and not use the CTS name.

The problem with just dropping CTS is that it would leave all of our customers with an unsupported product and I do not believe that this is the right thing to do.

To address this, Procedural Worlds will develop a new terrain shading system, and when it is ready, anyone who purchased CTS in the six months prior to its launch will get it for free, and everyone else will be offered a nominal upgrade fee in line with our usual upgrade process and cost.

Now that we will be developing an alternative, things like mesh blending and other terrain shading approaches will be considered from the start, so our terrain shading effort will continue, albeit with a different form and name.

I would like to personally thank Bart and the team at @NatureManufacture for the amazing collaboration and product we created together. It has been a great pleasure.

I also would like to thank our customers for their support, and to everyone for their patience during this transitory period.

We will continue to offer support to existing customers, however there will be no additional releases unless it is a scripting issue that can be resolved by us.

I do not have a time frame for the new release yet. Making a terrain shader is not a simple undertaking.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    hippocoder, Mark_01, Magic73 and 2 others like this.
  21. ProceduralCatMaker

ProceduralCatMaker

Sad news. Hope to see an alternative soon.

22. BryanPW

BryanPW

We will be working on a replacement, and thank you!
    Only time will tell but this will allow us to fully integrate all of our products!

23. GAMERFLEXTV

GAMERFLEXTV

Does anyone know why some of my textures are crystal clear and others are blurry and pixelated. Im using VSP and CTS. I think i might have changed a setting after changing the terrain and now i have this issue?

24. GAMERFLEXTV

GAMERFLEXTV

Maybe a better question should have been, Once you added CTS to the terrain and later on raised or lowered the terrain should the terrain textures automatically adjust for that. As it only seems to happen on the areas i've raised or lowered a small bit? thanks

25. BryanPW

BryanPW

Are you using Gaia Pro?
    It almost seems like you might have a blur effect or something in the camera post-processing.
    If you are using Gaia can you please check the player and try turning off the Auto Depth of Field.

After raising or lowering the terrain sometimes the splatmap is changed and you need to re texture that area that was changed, you can try this as well.

26. AsicsoN

AsicsoN

@AdamGoodrich Hi Adam. Do you have any information when (if) CTS will support 2020.2 HDRP 10.2.2?

27. BryanPW

BryanPW

Currently, we have depreciated CTS and CTS 2019 so there will be no more support for this asset.
    However, our new asset depending on when it comes out might support it if it comes out soon!

AsicsoN likes this.
  28. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Hi,surely my question is already treated, but I don't find anything about it.
    Is it possible to update the terrain collider to Heigthmap Depth Tess?

Screenshot_5.png

The terrain collider does not take into account the heights generated by displacement.

Unity has a built-in class calledMeshCollider. This class allows the physics system to interactwith a triangulated mesh easily. As the base mesh has already been calculated for eachterrain tile, their data can easily be reused for mesh colliders. The problem is, that thesemesh colliders would not represent the tessellated and displaced version displayed by theGPU. This leads to objects colliding with seemingly invisible edges and faces where theterrain is indented and rolling through faces where terrain is extruded. Solving the collision problem is not an easy task because the displaced terrain data must somehow return to the CPU to use it in physical collision detection.

A solution could be to save the terrain data after its "coloring", including heights generated by the displace and apply it to the collider.

Without this, tessellation is a nice feature, but unusable in real design.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not so.

At the time we worked on this (several years ago), we found that AAA games also do not do colliders on tessellation. If you think about it, changing physx in real time would be crazy expensive.

It is a visual effect only, much like normals, and should be used sparingly and with care.

Mark_01 likes this.
  30. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

I got it. Sin.
    However changing physx in real time could be work like the colliders of a terrain.
    Or it could be done in the editor, bake the terrain collider and that's it.
    Megasplat has a collision with tassellate parties and is not very heavy.

31. one_one

one_one

Megasplat has a sample of an idea of how it could be approached (basically read the tesselated height below a dynamic object each physics frame and place a small plane collider underneath). But that's not really feasible for a generalized approach and only really works for 'hero' objects.

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I would like to announce that we have just deprecated CTS 2019.

As has been previously explained, it is no longer possible for us to support it as we do not own the shader portion of the product. The speed of this transition was not something that we anticipated. It is beyond our control and 'just is'.

For those that purchased CTS 2019, you can still download it from your asset store account, and works just fine on Unity 2020, with older HDRP etc, but it is falling further and further behind on newer pipelines and Unity versions.

I appreciate that this is not an ideal outcome, especially for people who have purchased it more recently. It's disappointing for us as well. If you purchased CTS in the past 3 months, and do not want to wait, then you can lodge a support request for a refund.

However, we do plan to make a new terrain shader, and it will be built from the ground up in-house, and with the latest Unity versions & pipelines. We have big plans for it, and it will surpass CTS in many ways. When this is ready, it will be made available to existing CTS customers at a substantial discount.

I can not commit to a timeline for this yet as a lot of work goes into terrain shaders, and we are currently focusing on next generation support in Gaia first. It is however, a high priority for us.

Here is a little snippet of our new HDRP work:

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. newguy123

newguy123

You can't shoot video in the outback and then pass it of as a render. That's cheating.

LOL, jokes aside, that is looking AWWWWWESOME!!!

Can you say a little more about what is going on here in this video please @AdamGoodrich
    Is the terrain Gaia, with the sand the new replacement CTS shader?

Then are the plants scattered with Gaia or with Gena?
    Are those plants custom made with ASE shaders by you guys and will it be available somewhere, and also other similar plants?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  34. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Don't mean to bring up an irrelevant subject but thought I could share what we achieved regarding this so more people are aware here and may chime in if they know how to optimize it so that everyone can benefit.

We have been working for a solution some 5 years ago and we ended up with a system where you can see in the following video:

You can see the reconstructed surface at around 1 minute of the video but as @AdamGoodrich mentioned changing mesh colliders at runtime is so heavy and causes a lot of spikes during update which made us to abandon this until new meshcollider API is multi-threaded. I can also confirm that in all standard AAA games, tessellation is used for micro details and smaller displacements (e.g. pebbles, small stones...) but it's good to have a system covering colliders on them.

Interestingly I have found the same implementation a year later for Star Citizen and my eyes went wet (Look for 18:00 minute of the video):

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  35. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Yes I tried.
    I hope that in the new version of CTS have thought of this. Because visually and ease of use, CTS is really good.

36. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

Screenshot_4.png

TerraUnity likes this.
  37. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

38. ranaUK

ranaUK

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me with the following.

I purchased CTS when it came out; then I was away from Unity, and recently got back in. I completely understand assets being deprecated (I am a programmer myself); looking through the forum, seems like people have it working even on unity 2020, which brings me to my problem. I can't get it to work properly in 2019.4 (most menu items are missing, and no option to auto create profile)

I only find CTS - Complete Terrain Shader v1.9 in my store; some people mentioned CTS 2019; so was that a paid upgrade that I missed. Does that mean basically I am stuck without a working version? Thanks in advance.

39. GWStudios_Sudan

GWStudios_Sudan

CTS 2019.6 not working with unity 2020.2 hdrp 10 !???

40. NotoMuteki

NotoMuteki

Today I just updated to Unity 2020.2.6f and HDRP 10.3.1 for Vegetation Studio Pro Beta Testing.
    But now I'm heavily regretting because CTS 2019 shaders doesn't work with this latest environment,
    and CTS 2019 has been deprecated so there's no hope of fixes.

Shader error in 'CTS/HDRP/CTS Terrain Shader Advanced LOD': 'GetDecalSurfaceData': no matching 2 parameter function at line 700 (on d3d11)
    Shader error in 'CTS/HDRP/CTS Terrain Shader Advanced': 'GetDecalSurfaceData': no matching 2 parameter function at line 894 (on d3d11)

Is that possible to fix these errors with simply rewriting some piece of shader codes?
    Or I have to wait until the whole next-gen Terrain Shader System comes in the future?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  41. NotoMuteki

NotoMuteki

So there's no way to contact Bart and ask him to fix the shader errors?
    VSP works fine, NM Trees and Grass works fine, Also Enviro works fine,
    but with transparent terrain, the whole sandbox means nothing...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  42. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sadly, all we can do is wait for the new terrain shader. There is no way for us to fix any issues. When the new solution comes out we are going to be giving a discount for cts users, but that is the best we can do in the situation. CTS 2019 does still work in Unity 2019 any of the newer versions might have some issues.

Mark_01 likes this.
  43. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, So I using Unity 2020.3.1f and HDRP 10.3.2 (installed after upgrade)

Now my terrain is just invisible. Using CTS profile I chnaged to Unty tereain and it worked but when I go back to CTS Basic the terrain doesnt show again.

There are no compiler errors but when I restart the project this error shows, but I can clear it.

Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks

Shader error in 'CTS/HDRP/CTS Terrain Shader Basic LOD': 'GetDecalSurfaceData': no matching 2 parameter function at line 565 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Fragment program with INSTANCING_ON DECALS_3RT _USE_AO_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    Disabled keywords: LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK DECALS_OFF DECALS_4RT LIGHT_LAYERS UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING SHADER_API_GLES30

cts.PNG

44. koirat

koirat

The never ending roulette of unity3d assetstore assets.

Kennth likes this.
  45. BryanPW

BryanPW

CTS may not work in the newer versions of Unity and has been depreciated. There is no update coming.

46. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sadly yes, but we are working hard to make this right for customers as well. There is nothing else that can be done about it.

Mark_01 and Kennth like this.
  47. Magic-Thor

Magic-Thor

In 2 days we have june... I bought CTS 2019 and 2 weeks later it was deprecated... So I now know which companies I will no longer prefer...

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This call was not made by us.

Additionally, the possibility to continue to support it was also torpedoed.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader-deprecated.477615/page-55#post-6845183

I have tried several partnerships now on the asset store and all of them have failed. As soon as one party or the other changes their direction the entire thing is doomed, and the one that ends up with the ill will is the one that published the product.

In the other instances I was able to get the product transferred to the 3rd party so that our customers were not left hanging. In this case the 3rd party wanted the product immediately deprecated despite the fact that we offered it to him.

My learning is.. you need to own your product 100%. We will never do another asset store partnership.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  49. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ya it really sucks :( Maybe higher a temporary shader coder to get things moving faster?
    But ya shader code is defiantly far from cSharp lol

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeap. Good shader coders who know the evolving Unity SRP's are rare and expensive. We are working on a range of things, and I want a cool replacement to CTS as much as the next person.

StevenPicard, P_Jong, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.