Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Tech-Byte

Tech-Byte

That is not false advertisement, the version you purchased the asset for, per the Unity Purchase Agreements for the Unity Asset store is, a product is sold is sold as is, with the understanding that the product may not be upgraded or further supported. Unity removes unsupported, non-updated assets once they have gone beyond the lifecycle of actively updated Unity versions.

The asset is not falsely advertised as, in November, you purchased the CTS version for the version of Unity that was available then, as later versions, such as 2018.3 were still in beta. It wasn't until December 7, Unity 2018.3 was removed from Beta, to which you purchased the asset in November where support for the asset was for Unity 2018.2. Unity 2018.2 to 2018.3 had substantial terrain engine changes that has broken a lot of scripts where a lot of developers have scrambled to fix their assets for that later version, although, they are not obligated to fix it as, again, when an asset is purchased, it is purchased for versions of Unity that are displayed as having been built for, which, CTS was not built specifically for 2018.3 ufntil much later and is patching in support since 2018.3 is the end of the life for version 2018.x.

2019 is the new Unity engine cycle which the update states it will begin supporting fully, specifically beginning with full retro support of 2018.3. I haven't tested CTS 2019 on older versions of Unity but likely legacy support is not available and thus CTS 2019 will only work on 2018.3 and forward as the old CTS will have as much support for 2018.3 that can be made but will be primarily for Unity versions 2017.x-2018.2.

Mark_01 and recon0303 like this.
  2. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

It's debatable as I bought it to use with 2018.3 with instanced terrains, and it was not working and rather than asking for a refund I reached out to know when it was about to be 'fixed'. Answers ranged from 'patience to soon and almost there' not indicating it would be fixed in a new version. So if I would have been aware of that I would have asked a refund as I'm buying assets to actually use in a project not because I'll like Adam's eyes. He's a business man and I'm a business man, that's it. Again, I will not dwell more on this topic and will take my loss making sure I don't make this mistake again. There are other terrain shaders out there, which can only be a good thing so the market does get's some pressure. Anybody is free to use whatever business model they like, just the lack of communication of PW did cost me money and budget of my project. That's it, lessons learned, nothing else to see here ... move on please.

3. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

That actually worked and I get to keep the same textures. I added the profile to individual tiles and now they all use CTS with my textures. I would have been nice though to use one of the cts profiles to see the differences and maybe find a better vase set to work from. I will most likely backup now then try adding a profile to all terrain tiles then changing it. B

But I remembered I had other terrains apart from the main terrains with only 2-4 textures on them. This could probably have been interfered in some way so I will try disabling those tiles and see if that works. Thanks though for getting me this far, CTS changes the textures somehow and make them much richer coloured.

4. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Peter, It looks much more realistic now that we managed to get cts working. I will backup and redo this though just to test whether it was another terrain I have in the scene that has less textures than the 16 and so it may have been using that so therefore leaving the terrain black. Il check and see. Just need some attention now, thanks
    2019-03-03.jpg

5. PWPeter

PWPeter

Great to hear you got it working! I still don't know why the original approach of applying an existing CTS profile did not work for you, I installed VsPro yesterday and I tried this with the demo scenes and newly created terrain and it was working for me.
    However I noticed that sometimes even though a terrain is textured by VsPro the terrain layer prototypes (the textures you can select in the inspector for manual painting) seem to be missing in the terrain, I could imagine that when the terrain is in this state while a profile is applied with CTS this could lead to the errors you had experienced.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  6. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I will do my backup tommorrow some time then try disabling the small terrain to see if that was interfering

7. Gua

Gua

Does version 1.9 supports Draw Instanced feature?

8. Rallix

Rallix

Hi,
    I have a suggestion regarding this warning:

CTS.png

It kept popping up even though I did a clean re-import, so I tried to narrow down the assets in question and turns out it wants me to delete unrelated folders "MUSIC_EFFECTS" and "IMPACTS". :)
    Could you please reconsider the way it looks for the old remnants (at least make it look for "/CTS")?

9. PWPeter

PWPeter

No, CTS 1.9 will switch off Draw Instanced on the terrain so you don't run into the rendering issues people were seeing before when Draw Instanced is enabled.
    CTS 2019 contains a new set of shaders that can handle both Instanced / Non-Instanced terrains.

Oh dear, that was an oversight this check was originally developed for a product with a longer name so that did not show up during testing. We will improve this of course for the next version. The good news is that if you press the "Don't show this again" button the directory check will literally "self-destruct" and should not bother you again.

10. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

lol, I deleted an enviro CTS file as I thought it was that causing the issues.

11. IIporpammep

IIporpammep

Have you checked in standalone build terrain with CTS 2019 with Basic shader on unity 2018.3.6f1 when a scene with terrain loaded from bundles? Because I don't see terrain at all(I tried both Enabled/Disabled Terrain Instancing.).

Frame debugger doesn't show any terrain related draw calls.

The shader in resources and in bundles.
    In previous CTS 1.8 all worked fine.

If I add a scene with terrain to build(not to bundles) everything is fine. If I load bundles when playing with unity editor all works fine.

12. PWPeter

PWPeter

We did not try terrain loaded from bundles specifically, but when terrain is loaded dynamically during runtime it can be tricky to get the correct shader variants compiled and included in the build. Can you please check the following:

1. When you do a development build, do you see any error messages coming up in the unity overlay dev console?
    2. Can you try to supply the CTS shader variants in a shader variants file for the build? To do so, please do the following:

a) Open Edit > Project Settings > Graphics
    b) Click the small "Clear" button at the bottom
    c) Leave the graphics window open and start the scene in the editor, and then record the terrains being loaded from the asset bundles
    d) You should see at the bottom of the graphics window that the number of tracked shader variants increases.
    e)After you loaded all terrains with the cts shader types, you can click "Save To Asset" to put all of the recorded shader variants in a file
    g) Then you can put that file in the "Preloaded Shader" list

Alternatively if you just use the basic shader type, you could add the shaders
    CTS Terrain Shader Basic
    CTS Terrain Shader Basic LOD
    to the always included Shaders list in the Graphics Settings window. This will however compile all shader variants for this shader which can take a very long time to build.

3. You could try the new "disconnect and reconnect" feature to create a permanent material for your terrains. Disconnecting a CTS profile will create a persistent material in the terrain in the
    Assets\CTS\Profiles\Materials directory
    and will remove all unnecessary references to textures etc. from the terrain. You can find more infos in the Release Notes in the CTS directory. Please Back up your project first before using this option, as this works directly with the Terrain Data objects in your scene.

4. When testing CTS 2019 in a build we discovered one issue when switching CTS profiles on an existing terrain with "Draw Instanced" enabled, which lead to an invisible terrain as well. This still occurred even though we did include all required shaders (especially for "Draw Instanced") as described in 2. above.
    The workaround in this case was to include a dummy scene in the build which features dummy terrains with the required materials attached. This then allowed us to successfully switch the profiles in the build. This might be worth trying for you as well, since there seems to be another factor playing into the availability of shaders in a build beyond the Shader variants file / always included shader list.
    If you want to try this you can just add a new empty scene and include a terrain that has the same CTS profile attached as the one you would load in from the asset bundles. If you got terrains with different CTS profiles in those bundles you would need to add multiple terrains with a different CTS profile to cover all used profiles.

13. IIporpammep

IIporpammep

1. No errors in dev build

Thank you for the help, found one variant, but will keep digging.

Checked:
    1. Adding shaders to always included - Not Helped
    2. Clearing shader variants - Not Helped
    3. Recording new shader variants - Not Helped
    It's really strange that recording variants haven't helped. Seems like correct variant is there.

4. Instancing Shader variants Keep All - Helped, but maybe it's not good to keep unneeded instancing variants

Unchecked:
    5. Adding dummy scene
    6. Disconnect and reconnect feature

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  14. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

I've used the Enviro integration, but when I set the weather to rain I get this blue tint instead of a proper "wet" effect:

What could be the problem?

15. tredpro

tredpro

I'm using cts with world streamer and vsp.
    I get an error telling me I cant remove terrain because cts depends on it. What is the best route to go about this?

16. razzraziel

razzraziel

Season Tint. It happened to me and i edited integration script to disable season change.

17. PWPeter

PWPeter

This sounds like the issue I had with switching profiles that I described under 4. in my original reply to you. I would suggest trying the dummy terrain scene if it is not too much work for you.

18. PWPeter

PWPeter

It looks like the overall smoothness is just to strong from this screenshot. Here is an example from the CTS swamp demo scene, with increasing smoothness:

Smoothness 0
    0.JPG
    Smoothness 1
    1.JPG
    Smoothness 2
    2.JPG
    Smoothness 3
    3.JPG

Smoothness 3 looks pretty close to what we are seeing in your screenshot. The smoothness is so strong that the terrains starts to turn into a mirror which reflects the blue sky above. Note that baked lighting influences the way smoothness looks on your terrain as well.

I would recommend to upgrade to CTS 1.9 / 2019 (if not done already) and then do the following:

1. Open your CTS profile and set the global profile smoothness to 2 at the top of the profile
    2. Now imagine there was heavy rain in the scene. Look at the smoothness setting for each texture and adjust it so that you would be happy with it if the texture would look that way when there is really bad weather in your scene.
    3. After you are done, adjust the global profile smoothness back to 0 in the profile. The terrains should look completely dry again.
    4. In the weather manager set the maximum allowed smoothness to 2. This will lead to the weather manager adjusting the smoothness between 0 and the maximum of 2 where all the textures should just look like you tuned them before.

The seasonal tint mentioned by razzraziel could play into this as well, it would be best to switch it off entirely in the weather manager if you are not using it.

19. PWPeter

PWPeter

You could either look up in the world streamer code where it unloads the scenes and remove CTS from the terrain before, if I remember correctly it has a place where it explicitly destroys terrains before closing the scene.

Another option would be to open CompleteTerrainShader.cs in your project and just comment out the
    [RequireComponent(typeof(Terrain))]
    at the top. It is more a cautionary measure so that users don't accidentally attach CTS somewhere where it can't work, but if you are doing terrain streaming already you should be good without this guardrail and can in return get rid off the error easily. ;)

tredpro likes this.
  20. tredpro

tredpro

Thank you. Those were the 2 ways I found but wasnt sure if there was some box I had tick that I shouldnt. Thank you

21. cybersoft

cybersoft

I agree with you and you and I have concerns about the lack of clarity and the timescale for updates and fees.
    I'm not so active on this forum because of time and I have a lot to do in my work.

PW makes great products but... I am considering replacing some of PW assets too. Why? You can read the post from @chrisk.

My assets from the PW:
    • CTS
    • Gaia
    • Path Painter
    • Pegasus
    • Sectr complete
    and similar from the competition:
    • MicroSplat
    • EasyRoads
    • Relief Terrain Pack
    • Multiple Terrain Brush
    • and much more
    PW please hear our voices because you can loose customers! But I believe you can.

22. SSL7

SSL7

edit: fixed previous problem, now I have a new one

in older CTS (1.6 I think) I used this code on CTSWeatherController so it registers the new shaders when MapMagic created a new Terrain (using OnEnable on CTSWeatherController)

CTSTerrainManager.Instance.RegisterAllShaders(true);
    CTSTerrainManager.Instance.RegisterAllControllers(true);

it seems I can't use this code anymore in newer version (CTS1.9). could you guide me fixing this?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  23. JW86

JW86

Once I add a CTS profile to the Gaia Terrain, the entire terrain glitches out with random black shapes (see attached).

Has this been encountered before, and if so, how best to navigate this?

upload_2019-3-8_19-38-18.png

Thanks in advance.

24. PWPeter

PWPeter

You need to disable the "Draw Instanced" setting in the Unity terrain settings. You can also upgrade to CTS 1.9 or CTS 2019, 1.9 will deactivate this setting automatically, 2019 comes with new shaders that support instanced terrain rendering.

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. PWPeter

PWPeter

This has indeed been changed in the newer CTS versions. These functions were replaced with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RegisterShader(CompleteTerrainShader shader)
    2. UnregisterShader(CompleteTerrainShader shader)
    and
    Code (CSharp):
    1. RegisterWeatherController(CTSWeatherController weatherController)
    2. UnregisterWeatherController(CTSWeatherController weatherController)
    In the CTSManager class.These should be called automatically when a CTS component / weather controller is enabled or destroyed, so in theory you should not need to call anything yourself anymore. If that does not work for some reason, you should be able to call
    Code (CSharp):
    1. CTSTerrainManager.Instance.RegisterShader(<Your_CTS_Shader_here>);
    2. CTSTerrainManager.Instance.RegisterWeatherController(<Your_WeatherController_here>);

26. SSL7

SSL7

What worked for me was: CTSTerrainManager.Instance.BroadcastWeatherUpdate(<CTSWeatherManager_here>)

is it wrong to do it this way?

27. PWPeter

PWPeter

It depends what you are trying to do, if you are using this to update newly loaded in terrains with the current weather info from the weather manager this should work fine, yes.

28. SSL7

SSL7

Yeah exactly what I'm trying to do and it works fine as it seems. Thanks :)

PWPeter likes this.
  29. imgumby

imgumby

Watch it..I was banned for daring to discuss the subscription fees I never agreed to when I originally bought nearly all PW's assets long ago...They should have upped the price for new users if they're financially strapped instead of throwing existing users under the bus ... Whatever you do don't rely on sellers contracts..they might as well be stuck to the bottom of your shoe.
    the 1*

cybersoft likes this.
  30. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I can understand to a degree because I hate spending money I don't have to spend, but, the other option is they go out of business and deprecate their assets because they can no longer afford to feed their families. Then we can all complain about the deprecated assets. I don't want to sound too harsh but I'd much rather optionally pay $20 a year for updates and have great developers like PW working on assets than for them to go out of business. The Asset Store would suffer a great loss, as would many of us.

31. Tech-Byte

Tech-Byte

There is no subscription fee, you are purchasing a license to access the asset you want access to while in the state that it is, with no promise or guarantee for future updates from that purchase beyond the scope of what has already been discussed.

The developers have been very clear about what they were offering, they have provided what they stated to provide on the basis of that license before establishing a new asset or an upgrade path for less money.

Right now, the price of the asset is good, we've seen assets on the asset store that are beyond useful cost 200-300, even up to 400-500 that DO NOT SELL at all, they are forced to put them on sale for 70% to even begin getting sales and then eventually drop the normal cost of the asset to 60-95 bucks to sell on a normal basis. There are competitors to Gaia that work just as well, Gaia is in the sweet spot for price where they can get sales without it being too much but they were forced to request more money from existing customers to continue and expand development.

We're literally paying 5-10 hours of basic income for an asset that would require, on our own, dozens to hundreds of hours to continue to correct, update, research, integrate, etc. Then we're paying 2 hours minimum wage work to get another 1+ years of updates for probably the most important asset in our project.

He did ask the audience if they approve of it, a majority said they were OK, I said OK to it. He went about doing it. If you don't want to buy the upgrade, stick to Unity 2018.1/.2/.3. When developing, you should stick to a single Unity version and not upgrade unless absolutely necessary.

SickaGamer, PWPeter and StevenPicard like this.
  32. imgumby

imgumby

Well semantics aside a regularly occurring fee is a subscription no matter how you parse it.PW (AG) did ask about a sub fee and the majority said no..So they just call it a "regularly occurring update fee"...None of this was in the contract I read thoroughly when I started using Unity...contracts are part of my business so I tend to read them. Regardless...it's a lost cause...they banned me from here and the store reviews just because I posted "Great asset for environment creation as long as you don't mind recurring fees" on one of their products which PW promptly deprecated.I'm paraphrasing a bit because it was long ago but there's a review of Ork with essentially the same message about Ork's sub fees (another mistake made by me) but about 200 words longer...still intact...So..me singled out by PW..?? Noooooo...lol...Obviously did not want people coming away with the knowledge that free updates are no longer a prospect for PW's assets.
    So..in the end..I own most of PW's assets...some they acquired recently.Each and every one will be abandoned as any subscription fees and deprecation's appear as it'll ultimately be cheaper to just purchase alternatives that promise in writing to update for free (within reason of course) .Like you said..plenty of alternatives that won't drain my wallet just sitting there on my HD..All I can do now is try to spread the word that Unity has made/allowed a change regarding updates to help others avoid the same pitfalls.
    Good Luck

33. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

DITO.

PWPeter likes this.
  34. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Just thought I would add to the complaining. There's always Fiverr?

Yeah that was sarcasm! All for $20 or so. I purchased an ad agency a few years ago $297, this was a lifetime licence, then the company was sold and guess what? Another $297, so I have to buy the product again and this time for just a yearly update, so will need to pay the same every year instead of the original purchase?

It gets worse, this has happened 6 times in the last couple of years. Ironically enough all at $297.

So the products I already had working are no longer available for updates unless I pay $1000 per year. Now that's steep. A little yes, thats ok, but $1000 is basically a scam. Which is why I never buy anything subscription fee'd or licensed.

PW $20 lol.

PWPeter likes this.
  35. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

That worked, thanks. Now another issue...

I want to add another terrain texture over the six ones available in my current CTS profile. So in the terrain "paint texture" I added it as I normally did until now. They are added correctly but once they're painted on the terrain, they are completely black... I tried to add it to the current CTS profile, but in the "textures" section I see the six original ones and no option to add new textures.

36. PWPeter

PWPeter

You can add new textures by pressing the "Bake Textures" button at the bottom of the CTS profile. This will add the additional textures from the terrain to the profile and rebuild the internal CTS texture arrays so that the new texture can be displayed.

37. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

38. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Gaia 2.0?

39. PWPeter

PWPeter

40. yumianhuli1

yumianhuli1

May create roads at runtime(including different terrains)?
    Thank you!

41. PWPeter

PWPeter

CTS itself has no functionality built in to create roads. Any asset (or your own script) that can create roads at runtime using the terrain splatmap should work together with CTS though.

42. alltradesgames

alltradesgames

The Lite Shader in CTS 2019 makes the shadows from the normal map appear black, creating a nice high-contrast look. Does anyone know how I can get the Basic Shader to do the same thing? (Make the normal map shadows completely black instead of just darkened albedo colors)

https://imgur.com/a/8hpehet

43. PWPeter

PWPeter

Can you try to increase the per-texture normal power in the profile settings? If you turn it up to values above 1 you should get the same high contrast look as well in the basic, advanced tessellation shader types.

Normal Power 1
    normal1.JPG
    Normal Power 2
    normal2.JPG
    Normal Power 3
    normal3.JPG
    Normal Power 4
    normal4.JPG

Mark_01 likes this.
  44. ksam2

ksam2

I'm using Easy Roads with CTS but splat textures under roads can't get updated. It was working before with RTP but doesn't work with CTS. I mean Easy Roads draw a splat texture around the road but this option doesn't work with CTS.

45. PWPeter

PWPeter

I just checked to make sure it is still working, and it was working for me on an example terrain with CTS.
    Easy0.JPG
    Can you please try to make a new road with Easy Roads for testing purposes on a terrain that has CTS enabled, with the following settings when you select the Road:
    Easy1.JPG

These are very "extreme" settings to make sure the Splatmap changes are visible. Then in the Easy Roads Build settings make sure that "Update Terrain Splatmap" is checked as well and build the terrain.

Easy2.JPG

Another reason why you might not see the texture changes is that CTS blends the textures differently than unity does when you use height blending in the advanced CTS shader type. Depending on your texture settings in the CTS profile it can be that the texture around the road is blended in such way that it is barely visible. Try adjusting the "Splat Sharp Close" and "Heightmap Depth" setting.

If you still don't see the texture changes you could deactivate the road network to double check if at least the splatmap changed directly under the road. Another thing you could try is to switch back to unity shading to see if the splatmap changes were applied there. You can also check directly in the terrain data splatmap if you see any changes there that look like the road structure.
    Easy3.JPG
    If those changes don't appear on the terrain splatmaps, CTS can't display them and the error would rather be somewhere in Easy Roads.

Let me know if you are still stuck, I'm pretty sure it should work & we can get this working for you as well.

Mark_01 and ksam2 like this.
  46. alltradesgames

alltradesgames

Sure, here's what they both look like with normal power increased to 3.5.

https://imgur.com/a/UTxTtfP

The Basic Shader seems to render a darker green instead of black. All settings are exactly the same, only switching the Shader type from Lite to Basic.

Somewhat related, when I remove all lights from my scene, the Basic Shader renders dark but clearly visible terrain textures, while the Lite Shader only renders complete black with no discernible texture.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  47. ksam2

ksam2

Thank you. Actually it works on a single terrain with CTS but when I use MapMagic and CTS it doesn't work anymore :eek:

48. SSL7

SSL7

With the latest CTS version the shader is the only thing in the terrain(using MapMagic cts output but I don't think it matters match) so I'm trying to get the textures and make rules in VS with them without luck, how did you achieved that?

edit:
    this was the video that it was referenced on the previous post

49. PWPeter

PWPeter

Could you please check if the normal map is set up with texture type = Normal Map in the texture import settings for the normal map file? If it is not, it can lead to all kinds of display issues with the texture normals. If it set up as Default and you change it, please make sure to bake the textures in the CTS profile afterwards for the changes to apply.

Unbenannt.JPG

If that was not the issue, could you please try to open one of the demo scenes that come with CTS, e.g. the performance demo. Those come with multiple profiles for the scene, could you try to increase the normal power in the basic profile to see if it works there? If it does, could you please compare the import settings between the normal maps of the CTS textures and your own?

Mark_01 likes this.
  50. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hmm, it is a bit difficult to tell then because I don't know Map Magic too well. Generally speaking:If CTS is applied to the terrain and all the textures that are on the terrain are contained in the CTS profile as well, CTS should display them as soon as they appear on the Terrain Splatmap. Can you please check if the terrain splatmap changes when you build the roads on the terrain that has MapMagic + CTS:
    Easy3.JPG

You would need to see that the terrain splatmap has changed after building the terrain and the road needs to be visible on the splatmap image as in the lower right corner in the screenshot above. If that does not happen when you build the roads, the error should lie rather within Easy Roads or MapMagic than with CTS, if the splatmap does not change there is nothing for CTS to display.

ksam2 likes this.