Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Seams like missed texture. Did you rebake for basic shader too?

2. unity_cwjdyNWLKcKTAg

unity_cwjdyNWLKcKTAg

Rebaking makes no difference, it seems to appear when LOD distance is set to not-0.
    Is there anything you can think of which would produce this other than a missing texture?

3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Which texture is it? We fix alot in upcoming versions, small bugs like this. So im sure new version is free from this.

4. unity_cwjdyNWLKcKTAg

unity_cwjdyNWLKcKTAg

There is no missing texture, I've checked the terrain exporter as well and there's no specific texture on that location, the chunks happen on locations between 2 textures which incidentally are the same.

If I switch to advanced shader and play there is no issue whatsoever so there's some difference between basic and advanced (height blending I suppose) where the issue is resolved.

I'm using the oct. 2017 version

-EDIT- Ok I've isolated the issue to splatmap 1, texture 3. Could be that using multiple instances of the same texture is causing issues for me.

-It works fine with default Unity preset as well... so there's something specific about the "basic" preset then

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello,

I am dealing with this very strange problem, when I update the terrain textures by replacing the old AO and normal map then I hit bake and when I start the game after about 10 seconds everything freezes and it feels like a "restart" and after that I am getting null pointer exceptions on my own components that have nothing to do with the terrain. Does anyone know what is causing this freezing?

6. blitzvb

blitzvb

GL for the GDC guys!

recon0303, Mark_01 and DragonmoN like this.
  7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. Suavomirro

Suavomirro

I'm currently working on multiple terrains and when I'm creating and applying new profile it does so to every single terrain. Is there any way to lock preset to terrain so it won't change unless I uncheck this lock?

TchPowDog85 likes this.
  9. greyforest

greyforest

i make a very simple scene and test it on several android devices,terrain with 2 texture,128 size,no detail,CTS basic shader,all default setting. the texture is pure black, but the soomthness is ok."black mirror"

10. DragonmoN

DragonmoN

Awesome, that will fit really nice in my longterm Project :-D

Attached Files:

Gametyme and Quique-Martinez like this.
  11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone. Just a quick heads up. I have just updated the scripts for CTS and tested on 2018.1, added all of Bart's latest shader goodness (which include bug fixes both in the Amplify Shader system CTS was created with, and bug fixes in our own code), and so far its all looking good.

There is a new 'lite' version of the shader that removes features like snow and geo in order to get a little bit more rendering speed for those that need it, as well as Bart's new snow glitter system - which looks pretty cool!

If testing goes well then we should have an update for you in the next few days.

12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Mark_01 likes this.
  13. greyforest

greyforest

ok,i found the reason myself.I use Linear color space before,when i turn back to default gamma color space,everything is ok.From my test,it's not related of graphics api ,es2/es3/vulkan,only Linear cause the problem.

==Edit Add==>
    More infomation about the texture missing issue.When i uncheck the Compress Albedos option,everything works fine now.Maybe some compatible issue there?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  14. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

Same thing is happening to me. It actually ruined my textures. I have 16 terrains, each has an aerial view base texture (I imported data from Real World Terrain) for me to use as reference as I develop. CTS ruined all of them.

15. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

Also, when I click "Bake Textures" on the profile, it removes my textures from the "Texture Settings" list and my terrain turns black. To reset it, I have to go back to the Complete Terrain Shader script and rebake either the normal or color map. But this cycle continues, it will not let me bake textures in the profile.

16. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

My issue was with Real World Terrain - RWT causes issues all over the place... btw.

17. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

So apparently this wasn't the cause. My textures are still being erased from the profile when I click "Bake Textures". This is extremely annoying. Why is this happening?

I have removed the aerial view texture, removed Real World Terrain script. I add my textures to the terrain, Add CTS to terrain, add a profile. Setup all of my textures. Bake Textures. Terrain turns black and all textures are cleared from the profile.

18. Mark_01

Mark_01

It has been asked many times to please use the official support page, It is asked on the first page of this forum https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home

also its the week end .....

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  19. TchPowDog85

TchPowDog85

I did not find the answer to my issue on this site. My problem is not "black spots on terrain". My problem is that all my textures are being removed from the profile erasing all the work I do. I am not modifying the original splat map in terrain editor. I bake the textures initially. Add normals, heightmaps, etc. to the textures in the profile. Tweak the settings in the profile. Bake Textures. Everything is erased.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  20. Mark_01

Mark_01

You can put in a ticket there ???
    Adam has stated that people get help by using that system, as he checks there more.
    Also there is a discord chat too.

the problems you are having is something wrong some where, other wise more people would be
    experiencing this. So sorry if you missed the button,

here is the link to put in a support ticket on the same site ..
    https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

I would think* for sure there can be no other scripts on the terrain, last week some one had problems
    because they had another script on the terrain. Not saying you do now, just saying.

From what you are saying now, things should work .. but info like OS system, unity version ect .. might help
    if you can go put in a ticket. To be sure, they want CTS to work for you too...

21. mattis89

mattis89

bake color map? what is it?

22. mattis89

mattis89

I have a few scripts on the terrain no problem

23. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

I have a question about CTS - Enviro integration. I've got it working, but currently the terrain gets evenly wet no matter what texture. I tried setting the snow level in individual textures, but this has no effect.

24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Wetness is simulated by changing the smoothness value and generally when it rains it rains everywhere - that's the limit of our simulation at moment anyway.

You can make a colour map from the terrains textures (including grass). It's a low-fi way to simulate the impact of grass on the terrain in the distance.

To see what each setting does hit the ?+ button on your profile. It will show a more detailed description of each setting.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Next CTS is ready to go.

New features:
    * Lite shader - fastest shader variant - removes snow and triplanar
    * Snow Glitter - add some life to your snow with glitter
    * Color Map Masking - ability to choose where your color map is painted
    * Anisio settings exposed in optimisation settings
    * Removed substance support to fix compilation issues in 2018.1+
    * Latest Amplify bug fixes
    * Latest CTS bug fixes (including point light fix!)

If you would like to test then join our Discord server (https://discord.gg/rtKn8rw) and PM me with your invoice number.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Djayp and Mark_01 like this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Impossible for CTS to ruin textures. It does not touch originals. It copies them into the texture array.

27. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It's rather smoothness value not snow;) Check if it's correct everywhere

28. mattis89

mattis89

how to update without messing anything up?

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Same as you update any other product. Make a backup. Install. It will not affect any existing settings, although i will probable update the profiles.

mattis89 likes this.
  30. Rayco-Haex

Rayco-Haex

Is there a color map feature yet? if not then is there any way i could use a colormap?
    I wanna start importing this terrain and colormap would be pretty sweet to have.
    upload_2018-3-26_18-50-37.png

31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - we have them for some time now.

You add the color map to the terrain shader object on the terrain itself, and control the global intensity from the profile.

In the next release (imminent) we also allow you to mask them as well.

Mark_01 likes this.
  32. markashburner

markashburner

CTS says it is compatible with meshes. Yet there is no documentation whatsoever on applying CTS to meshes?

I just bought this asset because it said it's compatible with meshes, cannot find any tutorials or documentation on doing this.

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Meshes don't have the nice work flow that terrains have and its something we added as people requested it. Best way is to set CTS up on terrain, export the material, and then apply it to your mesh.

We are about to do a new release, and with the new release we will update our old tutorials and add a bunch of news ones.

34. Game-Armada

Game-Armada

Hey,
    will there be any shader updates in the new release?

Would be a great feature if one could easily use textures generated and mixed by the Quixel MIxer.
    Now I can hardly achieve the same look on a terrain with CTS :(
    (or a tutorial could be good)

upload_2018-3-27_12-12-38.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes there are shader updates - pretty hard to deliver new features without them ;)

Quixel works fine with CTS if you configure your textures properly - I use it myself.

Standard Unity terrain textures have Albedo in RGB, and Gloss / Smoothness in A. We follow this standard and you can configure Quixel to export this.

Alternatively you drop Albedo in albedo slot, and then smoothness / gloss and drop it into smoothness slot - or roughness and drop into roughness slot - CTS will then bake them into the A channel on the Albedos RGBA that is created during bake process for you.

KarelA likes this.
  36. Game-Armada

Game-Armada

Yes, the method is clear, PBR is clear, maps are clear, applying them is clear.
    My problem is (if it is a problem), I cannot get Unity to look the same or at least almost the same as in the quixel editor.
    Something is always different and it is very hard to get the same look and feel, and I think this is because there programs using different ways (maybe shaders) to render, different sampling..etc..

A cool tutorial would be appreciated how do you use Quixel mixel (or any similar) and how do you use those in Unity3d to achieve a good look (what lighting, maybe GI or not..etc..)

Like if I'd like to achieve this:
    upload_2018-3-27_13-35-21.png

It is way too hard, because of the PBR limitation (min 4% fresnel), I can not get maximum roughness ground like very rough soil.

KillerNads and Kory-therapy like this.
  37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Oh ok I misunderstood.

I don’t think you will be able to get exact same look as it is two different applications, different shaders and most likely also different lighting models.

I would make sure I have linear deferred and then experiment with things like smoothness, normals, texture mixing etc.

38. markashburner

markashburner

CTS says it is compatible with meshes. Yet there is no documentation whatsoever on applying CTS to meshes?

I just bought this asset because it said it's compatible with meshes, cannot find any tutorials or documentation on doing this.
    I will have to be honest with you as I only want you to improve your asset, since I spent 50 bucks on it as well. So far I am not very impressed with the quality of terrains CTS is able to produce and I was only sold on it because in the description it said that it works with meshes as well.

I think that is a very disingenuous marketing technique. I have Distingo which is only 15 bucks on the store and it works with meshes out of the box...and the quality is great. I thought I would get my value for money with CTS but unfortunately you failed to deliver on the mesh setup. I am an indie developer and although I am extremely great-full for the wonderful assets on the store including yours but just for future references...please be honest with the product you're selling. I am sure CTS is a great asset for Unity terrains and you have that market covered, so why include the meshes in the description of the asset you're selling when it's not really included?

I am creating procedural terrains that don't use the Unity terrain system...so like I said the meshes was literally the ONLY thing that sold me on your asset.

I am looking to make extremely high quality terrain meshes with good level of detail as well as getting rid of tiled areas. I thought CTS would be a step up from Distingo but in all honesty it seems like a step down.

I don't want to discourage you, but only to give you fair and honest criticism. So that you can make this asset into something truly wonderful. I suggest you have a look at the Distingo setup to get some inspiration for your asset. Read the description and then see that it lives up to all its promises.

Prove me wrong and maybe turn me into a happy customer, I won't rate your asset on the store. When it lives up to what it says it can deliver then I will recommend your product to others.

Sorry again for the salty reply but like I said, most of us are indie developers...with no income from our somewhat expensive habits in game development. So money is only spent on products that truly does what it says it does.

Thanks!

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I understand your frustration.

CTS was released as a Unity terrain shader, not a mesh shader, and we added the shader switches that would support meshes as well at our customers requests. It’s more of an after thought than a major design feature.

There is no disingenuousness intended in the way that CTS is marketed as it does support meshes, however I understand the confusion now that you have pointed it out, and will make the workflow implications clear in the next release so that nobody else gets the same impression.

If you would like to PM me your invoice number I will also be happy to offer you a refund.

40. markashburner

markashburner

Thank you for your kind response. I have been tinkering with CTS and I am actually quite impressed with the tessellation setup you have on the Unity terrains.

I am sure I will find a way to integrate this with mesh terrains but I understand there is a lot of baking involved, the terrains I have generated are procedural and wouldn't necessarily work with baking. However, I might study your asset and see if I can find a way to apply it.

I am also going to be purchasing megasplat as well hopefully in the near future. I am going to have to compare CTS/Megasplat and Distingo...so it's probably best I hold on to your asset for now.

Like I said it probably works amazingly well on Unity terrains...and I don't think I am going to find anything out of the box for what I am going for.

I am using 4K textures for my terrains and I am also looking into a subscription with megascans. Tesselation is a huge factor for me, obviously it does come with quite a massive performance hit.

But I am only looking to develop for high end platforms.

I see you have plenty of shaders for meshes as well. I might have to study them and see exactly how they work, but it would have been nice to have included mesh integration in the documentation...but I will hold on to CTS.

This is using the standard Unity terrain with CTS...I am hoping to apply this to procedural mesh terrains.

41. markashburner

markashburner

Thank you for your kind response. I have been tinkering with CTS and I am actually quite impressed with the tessellation setup you have on the Unity terrains.

I am sure I will find a way to integrate this with mesh terrains but I understand there is a lot of baking involved, the terrains I have generated are procedural and wouldn't necessarily work with baking. However, I might study your asset and see if I can find a way to apply it.

I am also going to be purchasing megasplat as well hopefully in the near future. I am going to have to compare CTS/Megasplat and Distingo...so it's probably best I hold on to your asset for now.

Like I said it probably works amazingly well on Unity terrains...and I don't think I am going to find anything out of the box for what I am going for.

I am using 4K textures for my terrains and I am also looking into a subscription with megascans. Tesselation is a huge factor for me, obviously it does come with quite a massive performance hit.

But I am only looking to develop for high end platforms.

I see you have plenty of shaders for meshes as well. I might have to study them and see exactly how they work, but it would have been nice to have included mesh integration in the documentation...but I will hold on to CTS.

This is using the standard Unity terrain with CTS...I am hoping to apply this to procedural mesh terrains.

42. MrG

MrG

Don't use linked images ... we can't see them. Please put them directly in the forum post. The forum supports drag-drop and direct paste of the image itself.

43. Rayco-Haex

Rayco-Haex

Mind sharing a screenshot of how it looks like? i really can't find it

44. markashburner

markashburner

Attached Files:

• CTS.jpg
      CTS.jpg
      File size:
      696.9 KB
      Views:
  45. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hi,
    Is there any good system for disabling the collision in the cutout? I need both rigidbodies and raycasts togo through the cutout

46. mattis89

mattis89

Hello Adam! I was wondering that what textures is really the best to use with cts? I cant get the tillng to go away!

47. mattis89

mattis89

just add a spehere at the entry that disables the terrain collider if the player is coming thrue :D

48. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

So all rigidbodies fall through? I could use Physics.IgnoreCollision to only disable the collider between the rigidbody inside the "portal". But that will not help for raycasts :/ (We are a shooting game)

49. mattis89

mattis89

rigidbodies fall thrue yes... raycasts , you could add a line to ignore it and they go thrue until they collide with something else..

50. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You dont want ALL rigidibodies all over the terrain to fall through, thats why you use Physics.IgnoreCollision for the colliders inside the "portal". Yeah I guess I can fxi raycasts with alot of code thrown at it. Not very elegant :/