Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

@jlocke

The issue is, how You deliver Your opinion saying that "here the devs have no idea what shader is". For me this is rude and not "professional" expression of an opinion. I would love to hear Your comments on stuff created in UE4 material editor, it is also a canvas shader :).

Considering that You are an industry veteran, i expect more professional criticism from You. It's all from me, because as You mentioned, this discussion doesn't add anything valuable in this thread.

2. eaque

eaque

Cool, no problem so

Man insulting the authors is far from a negative it's agressive and insulting!
    I have no cult and i didn't attack you but you did talking about "robbery"
    but am i asking for anyhting like that????!!!

So actually you had your answer, the authors are not professional enought for you, why don't you use the other shaders and forget about this one?
    you repeat that thru many pages but you're still there bothering....:)
    You seem obsessed by this story of cult, are you jalouse of adam and bart success? don't answer, no need lol

the most funny part is coming...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. eaque

eaque

Are you serious? Even if it's not always possible:

Actually it's made for that, to protect idea!!!!! what kind of entrepreneur are you? i'm gigglin to death man!

AdamGoodrich and Mark_01 like this.
  4. coverpage

coverpage

If you prefer to use other assets please do so, your criticism of the shader has been made. You don't have resort to ad hominem arguments and petty insults. It's arguably worst than the cult behavior you are against.

5. Olander

Olander

@jlocke
    Your statements really irk. So I am chiming in. Myself and many others stated in the wild ride early on in this CTS forum about Performance and Expectations explicitly. Seems you did not even read those parts. There are many variables latched into 'Performance' and directly comparing one terrain shader to another (that actually do perform really well) is virtually impossible (I own most of them and directly compared). The reason being texture palette sizes, quantity of textures, using Unity Terrain Vegetation or Object Based, bad scripting!!...and oodles more.

So instead of stomping your feet and throwing out trash how about actually quantifying WHY you are having performance issues with whatever you are doing. Nail it down...you may find that it is not even CTS related but something else you are doing. There are some really talented people in these forums and we do help.

Lastly...Unity's Shader CG Code is a pain to work with (C Syntax mainly). Using UE4 is a very good tool to make shader code with. ASE and SF are great tools but ASE is almost identical to UE4 so if you have a good shader in UE4 or ASE they can be mimicked between the platforms. And what exactly is wrong with that?

Bottom line is...go do your own thing. If something like CTS that works right out of the box, simple to set up, and has very solid performance is not for you...then by all means....GO DO YOUR OWN THING. Leave the foot stomping pouting elsewhere.

Also...let's just try to help on the performance issues....start here.
    forum.unity.com/threads/overall-performance-degredation-in-2017-2.497193/

RonnyDance, TeagansDad, eaque and 5 others like this.
  6. Mark_01

Mark_01

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/page-11#post-3132814

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/page-6#post-3127116

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/page-2#post-3116933

You won't or can't read between the lines, as a real Canadian, we are polite. A lot is being left un-said here, simply because a lot of people know the real story behind all this.

The real funny thing is you accusing CTS as being the one that " copy feature " " easy to copy features from other asset " You are treading in waters you do not know about and are making them seem like facts.

The fact is, it seems really Odd that you keep posting here when it is clear that you have no interest in CTS.

And in your last statement " funny the story about the copyright . what you are going to copyright ? idea ? . .eheheh "

You seem to be saying you think its fine and dandy to pretend to be some ones friend and help them out,
    then to turn on them and steal their ideas.
    While that behavior is acceptable and even encouraged in some countries, I am glad to say in Canada most people
    frown on that behavior.

More to the point here if what ever you are producing in Toronto there. If i know what game or what ever you release
    I won't be buying it, no matter what it is.

Please leave this group alone. We support Adam and Bart here. This is our choice, we do not need any information that
    could come from you. It's obvious now you are trolling this group, and not being constructive in the least.

There are many people that could go into the competing forums and do what you are doing here, but this crowd has a bit more morals and decency, So please, just get on with what ever assets HAHA you are supporting.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    frankslater, S4G4N, eaque and 5 others like this.
  7. jlocke

jlocke

Hey . that is good point .. help is appreciated ..
    I bought 4 terrain shaders . Tested on same scene that is the multitile terrain included in CTS. So only terrain . no other element . and camera of course .. do you agree on that test case ? or not ? I see that you are really smart guy ...

So . worst perfomance are from CTS ...i wonder what is wrong . . I am not telling you that A is better than B ,or C . just that reporting poor perfomance .
    Sure ASE and SF are really great tools . .but you cannot compare to Unreal as last one is native and code is optimized ...ASE and SF create spaghetti code that is really nice in most case, but not with terrain shader ...we own both assets and we also use in different cases ... really nice assets .

8. jlocke

jlocke

You reply is really rude and not professional . i will not add more

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have stayed away from your comments in our forum because I do my best to be respectful, professional and positive in the way I conduct myself.

You originally asked us how we position CTS in our space, and as Bart and I do not believe in trashing other people's products, Bart reflected this in his response at the time.

And then as I wanted to give you a more directed response I responded to your question way back here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/page-28#post-3326848

As we have answered your question and you have chosen a competitors product then I struggle to understand your motivation to continue to be active in this forum.

Bart and I do our best to deliver great products. We stand behind them, support them and our community, and we improve them over time.

If you feel that you would like to contribute positively or have more questions to ask about CTS then I am happy to take your questions and suggestions privately.

mons00n, S4G4N, Mark_01 and 10 others like this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We weren't aware - we are working on the next release so will check into it.

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

I will try to test it today on empty scene with couple of textures on the terrain with default lightning ( after work sadly :( ) on my rig.

Will report via ticket system :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  12. Olander

Olander

Multi-tile terrain is not really a ready factor in Unity as of this time. There are lots of reasons behind this but mainly because converting the Unity Terrain into a Mesh then chopping it up into a LOD based Matrix is a daunting task that few have really had success with. Now...couple that with 'Terrain' shaders that do all their magic THEN allow the terrain to be converted and matrix-ed and put into a culling system...all auto-magically. It is a coordination and integration nightmare.

Again, there are some really talented people working with the Unity Engine and this complex issue is going to be put to bed very soon.

On a performance test for side by side comparisons...you cannot compared directly with FPS in Unity. The numbers are wild and don't really tell the truth. You have to take the FPS and average them over a long period of time...say 10 to 30 seconds. This levels out any bouncing and gives a true FPS. Now...you have to get your visual fidelity of course....so make your 'Recipes' and set up 4 different scenes starting from scratch. The Time it takes to Make those scenes of the same size is your burden rate. Now what you have in the end is your burden rate and your scene budget for rendering terrain at the fidelity level you need/require.

See what just happened? It is ALL you...your design...your numbers...your budget. The tools you are using only get you the numbers and design visuals. Also remember that some 'Tools' have little effect as you add other thing to start mashing down on your performance budget. I will say for fact that CTS plays very nicely in the performance budget category because once you get your design budget from it....it goes pretty much static and simply blends into the other stuff happening...which kind of makes it work behind the scenes instead of fighting for a position in the stack of head banging.

Lastly...UE4 can easily make 'Spaghetti' logic as well. It is a link together node canvas...it is integrated with the engine so it is better. SF's code is a snarling mess when looking at the compiled code. ASE's code is more readable but for OCD people like me I go into the shader and make all the auto naming and code look a bit better...and yes it breaks the ASE node canvas. So I only do it once I am really happy with the shader. If you can get over the OCD...then leave it as is and use it ASE or SF...both do it right and are very well optimized for Unity's CG Coding Style.

@Rastapastor
    DX12 has some serious performance issues in Unity currently (testing proves it and just look around the forums). Getting better but DX12 is not ready for prime time yet. It is coming. Heck, DX11 only was smoothed out well late in the U5 series. In most cases DX9 is still the way to go for game design but more and more can use DX11 so why not? You may have some luck with flipping some various engine options On/Off during your testing.

Cheers
    O

13. jlocke

jlocke

May I ask where do you read I mention FPS ? . It is looks more that authors talk about FPS ...if you were a bit more humble, I would explain you a bit more about shader . but it looks like you have the universal knowledge as somone has 10 big title game in production .. May I ask you what is your latest game you releasead ?

Again . you cannot compare UE4 node canvas . I would sugget you to check unreal source code . so maybe you can understand the differences. ASE and SF are 2 excellent systems but both cannot optimize code .. it is something releated to the graphic developer . so that is the reason behind paying even 200K usd per year a graphic developer
    Again . wrong assumption ..

14. jlocke

jlocke

May I disagree ? . you have not answered to my question.
    If you are so proud, what is the reason you don't write down a features comparison table between your shaders and other shaders ...it would be nice show what your shader can do and what cannot do in terms of features ...
    It is not like "it is easy to use" . let user say that .
    I am here becuase we are in a open forum and I bought the asset .. .. or i need a club card to talk here ....
    And please . I have never said you are not a good asset developer . just I would see your view on shader . am I wrong ?
    You don't need to struggle to understand my motivation to be active here ...any problem with that ?

15. jlocke

jlocke

I w.. stop to reply to my point just with your assumption .. if you have technical motivation . that it would be usefull .or just compare features . or new ideas . that would be useful ..
    I hope you will not write that I am rude just becuase my feedback is negative comparing to other 3 shaders ...or that I am not canadian . or that i am some else fat ...I am not fan of any asset .. just someone who like doing a nice job and get transparent asnwers ..

16. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I hate to get in involved in these types of posts but I just wanted to say that you sound more hostile than inquisitive to me - but - you may not mean to come across that way. I think that's the main problem. Perhaps soften the "tone".

Mark_01, Olander, blitzvb and 3 others like this.
  17. blacksun666

blacksun666

@jlocke, just in case you aren't a troll and really are looking for answers/help, you can easily find the feature list for CTS from the following locations:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/91938
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/cts/
    That last link also provides access to the full documentation and the support knowledge base, so you can find out solutions to the common problems people have experienced with the product. I'm really surprised you haven't been able to find the details for yourself. Hope I've helped.
    None of the links include a feature comparison table, but I wouldn't expect one, producing one requires knowledge which products are available and an in depth knowledge of each. Adam is careful to never put any third party products down via this forum, his website or any presentations he gives, so I'd not expect a feature comparison table from him even if he had all the facts needed to produce one.

As you have purchased all the terrain shader products available, perhaps you are in a better place to document the differences and produce a feature table, it would have been quicker than taking the time to make all these posts. Perhaps you could private message me a link to your web/blog page once you've published this info?
    Cheers

frankslater, Olander, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@jlocke do not post here if you no longer use the product. If you do use the product then feel free to use the technical support channel provided. I notice that you are upset? PM me if you would like to explain your situation to a moderator.

19. mattis89

mattis89

@hippocoder , possible for you to clean up this thread? .. Feels like this kind of talk dosent belong here.. This is a place for ideas and helping each other...

Now Im totally lost and have to scroll past alot of "gnab" to find some usefull information...

Thank you.

S4G4N likes this.
  20. mattis89

mattis89

Hello =)

To lighten up the mood Im gonna post a picture =)

Just wanted to show Gaia & CTS in action... Gonna change textures now tough...

testing.jpg Hmm, what is those white spots? Looks like tiny holes in the "mesh, wich doesnt exist" .. I started see them when I begin to use tess ..

coverpage and AdamGoodrich like this.
  21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Looks a little bit like an image fx issue or could simply be light bouncing off the tess.

22. mattis89

mattis89

Okay, hmm.. It might be the aquas plane beneath the terrain too...that started acting up with the tess. . .

Any recommendations for good cliff/mountain textures?.. I find them the hardest to handle..

23. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

But isn't that the point? I think way too many people are expecting DX12 to be like all the other releases of DX and give boosts to the system, but that's not the objective of DX12.

I spent a lot of time late last year talking to the guys at Microsoft in Canada about what was happening with DX12 and even got to talk to Yingueng Mei about it, and the unerlying philosphy of DX12 is to provide a much lower level of API that leaves most (if not all) of the actual graphics performance in the hands of the developer, rather than in the hands of the API, especially with the controlling of asynchronous muti threading using both CPU AND GPU simutaneously.

DX12 has none of the error checking and inbuilt correction associated with DX9/10/11 and the implementation for companies such as Nvidea and AMD is going to take much longer and be much more complex.

Currently a lot of features are experiamental and depending on whether you use Nvidea or AMD will depend in which areas you see improvements in and other areas that you see much worse performance.

Ubisoft in Montreal and various other Canadian developers have looked at DX12 and no-one has seen a worthwhile performance boost by going to DX12.. most have seen a performance drop... HOWEVER.. what they have also seen is that by having a team dedicated to incorporating a low level API into theit game engine is that they have a lot more control, which ultimately means an upgraded engine has the POTENTIAL to work better with DX12, especially by hiving off a load of the graphic work to DirectCompute and the CORRECT use of the resource heap, but more importantly for a studio also means the integration of things such as VULKAN is also much more like the integration of DX12 and so in the long run will save time in development for different platforms.

Yes, in theory, DX12 can allow more objects, more drawcalls, more of everything, but ONLY if the engine and systems you are using have been built to control that.

I still believe that, currently, no-one is ( maybe that should read.. no-one should be) seriously looking to DX12 to provide any sort of performance upgrade, but to prepare the foundation for a future where the integration of many low level Graphic API's will be easier for a studio that can work to a level that can benefit from that freedom.

M

24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This was my also naive expectation from DX12 after seeing some of those early tech demos. I expected an auto-magic speedup for free :)

Sounds like Unity still has a ton of work to do get it to work well with their existing systems, and then Unity 2018 and the new scriptable render loops will turn it on its head all over again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  25. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

I am not a graphics programmer and tbh i dont follow all of this, so ofc i expected DX12 to work better than DX11 :) or at least not worst than DX11 :). Thanks for the explanation, hopefuly Unity will make that team and they will make a better usage of DX12 in the future :).

Mark_01 likes this.
  26. eaque

eaque

If i may join the discuss...i don't really understand all that i am not a programmer either, Do you think Dx11 isn't good enough ? and what can you do with DX12 that you can't do with DX11 ? :) Of course now i wouldn't go back to Dx9 by default to get all the great features of 11 but they both work in W7 environment....

Here is the point to me:
    I think it would be very sad to miss almost 50% of the PCs on the planet using W7 for some optimisation reasons.
    But i'm not a pro i don't understand much and anyone has his needs ;) Of course if people need some exclusive features of Dx12 my thoughts are meaningless:p

Mark_01 and S4G4N like this.
  27. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

I guess the huge question will be... Is it worth it for Unity.

I look at DX12 and I wonder if this was a good decision by Microsoft. DX12 is Win10 specific.. so first you alienate all those still on Win7.. secondly, you introduce a new low level API that requires a LOT of work to integrate it and make it as useable as DX11 is and finally, in native form, it's not really providing much benefit over and above what's already there.

Then you look at projects like VULKAN from Khronos Group which is an API at a similar level (it's really OpenGL 2 and free for all to use) and realise that VULKAN is an agnostic system that works with multiple operating systems and multiple platforms (including windows 7 and 10 and linux and smartphones and consoles and with the use of MoltenVK also runs on Mac operating systems although, as usual Apple have gone the METAL route rather than VULKAN similar to Microsoft going with DX12) and is already partially supported by Unity https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/29/introducing-the-vulkan-renderer-preview/ and you have to think that it would make far more sense for something like Unity to integrate one API (Vulkan) extremely well rather than just the one thats specific to Windows 10.

I guess time will tell really :)

M

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Mark_01, AdamGoodrich and Olander like this.
  28. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

As usual all will come to $. Who will pay more, users or Microsoft? :)

29. Olander

Olander

We are kind of coming into a new age of computing possibilities but it is more of a reach out and define these new techniques rather than simply upgrading on existing methods. There are some really fantastic engineers and software programmers out there that are opening a new box of thinking to utilize the new designs in hardware architecture. I see it quarterly in real life high end industrial applications....and we are all seeing it first hand in these gaming engines. Exciting times.

@moria15
    Excellent explanation in your posts. Thanks

Mark_01, AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  30. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Anyway enough of the future of the Graphics Industry.. using todays DX11, I decided to do a quick test.. yeah OK it's only so-so but its using CTS and Gaia. I needed a test zone to practice setting up UMA characters within RFPS for a few things, and I now hate standard terrains with a passion, and I totally blame Adam for this :rolleyes:

So 20 minutes work (most of which were changes for getting UMA into RFPS) and wound up with this which for me, as a solo developer for a hobby (these days) seems to me to be pretty much OK :p.

Anyway specs :-

UMA 2.7 character + Arteria3d Templar Knight clothing with ingame Katana using RFPS in 3rd person view.
    Environment.. Gaia + CTS + Enviro + Vegetation Studio + Dialogue Manager + Quest Machine + Emerald AI 2.0.1 + HUD Navigation System + World Manager API (my standard game engine)
    2km x 2km terrain
    Speed trees and various turboscalpeur grasses.

PC specs i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz with 16 gig Ram and GTX970 at 1920 x 1080 on Ultra settings with 125FPS in this screenshot.

rfpsuma.jpg
    M

Yeah, I know theres a dark area in the water.. as I said quicky test zone.. easy to get rid off and not there in the finished ones :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Olander, S4G4N, AdamGoodrich and 2 others like this.
  31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Also just a test image - as someone who makes a lot of terrain I have a bunch of ideas on how to texture them. This image has some lighting issues and the trees dont match the leaves on the ground on but its also just a quick proof of concept hack.

Am loving how CTS lets me blend between the textures I have captured within a kilometers walk from where I live.

Grab 20180104170518 w1920h1029 x22y60z52r76.jpg

drmanhattan, eaque, S4G4N and 7 others like this.
  32. jlocke

jlocke

Hi, no worries .i was no upset . all is fine .. @AdamGoodrich and myself had a quick friendly pm exchange ..have a nice day

S4G4N, hippocoder and AdamGoodrich like this.
  33. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Another day, another adventure :). While waiting for the next iteration of World Creator 2 i decided to play with manual sculpting of the terrain. The asset bundle is as usual + Fantasy Adventure Pack, but i had to prep it for indirect instancing in the Vegetation studio also the billboards are screwed, they are big as universe, so i didnt use them, bacground is empty because of that :)

The terrain itsefl is small, 512x512

Texture blending

Ingame screenshots

And if You would like to run around dis terrain here's the link to download a build

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlDPbyn91-DH12pOiN6p_6FM6FL3

The dense of foliage is quite big, so You probably need quite good GPU :).

S4G4N and eaque like this.
  34. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

CTS is heavy on the performance, however, it sure does give an amazing look.

9n7UZ2RiSmmGT3VAkQ-nVg.png
    qK8ZD-9uS0ulebstE1gHUw.png
    sZjcvfomQDah6FsQf3tSjg.png
    vo7gipvaRzWtsa49Gw87OQ.png

Attached Files:

35. eaque

eaque

what preset do you use ? advanced tess? in basic i think it's pretty fast! nice pics!

36. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I'm using Advanced as it addes the heighmap based blending, which is why it looks so clean and nicely blended.

37. eaque

eaque

it was quite obvious on the 1st pic! ;) very nice blending

VisualTech48 likes this.
  38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just had a report of a compile issue in CTS with 2018.1.b2...

Normally we don't support beta's, but i had a quick look anyway as I had a few moments and found that the issue was being caused by the removal of substance support by Unity in the 2018.x releases.

So it took all of 10 minutes to fix - double click on any red CTS compile errors in the console and it will take you to the error:

Scroll back a few lines until you find a line that starts with #if and also contains !UNITY_WEBGL

Then add the following to the end of that line : && !UNITY_2018_1_OR_NEWER

Pleased to say that CTS runs just fine on 2018.1 and I will add this modification into the next release of CTS.

twobob, Mark_01, bok and 2 others like this.
  39. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

I've watched your tutorial Adam and checked the documentation and I have 2 questions:
    1. Does 16 textures for a terrain mean 16 different types of ground like sand, grass etc. or 4 types, but with 16 channels (together)?
    2. Can I use an external splat map and a height map from World Machine with CTS?

Mike

40. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

16 texture sets so (albedo normal sm ao height) x16

Yes you also could use global color and global normalmap.

Mark_01, AdamGoodrich and Zaki_X like this.
  41. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Thanks for a quick reply NatureManufacture. 16 sets of textures? Wow! That is something. I have to give it a go.

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Especially cool with the strip textures option in Optimization Settings. We coerce Unity into only doing 1 pass instead of 4 passes to draw terrain, and this results in a significant drawcall reduction!

Zaki_X and Mark_01 like this.
  43. ksam2

ksam2

Does CTS support multi-tiles terrain?

44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

ksam2 likes this.
  45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi! While you are wait for update (it will come soon -everything is almost ready) I would like to show 2 things:

1: River Auto Material Upade with new video:

jpg3.jpg jpg1.jpg jpg2.jpg

Take a look how cts works here:

River Asset Store Link

2. New tree pack with ofc CTS in background

1jpg.jpg 2jpg.jpg

Take a look how cts works here:

Trees Asset Store Link

Gametyme, Olander, jlocke and 10 others like this.
  46. Mark_01

Mark_01

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Bart is an incredible talent - and Unity is rightup there with the best in terms of the fidelity that you can get if you take the time to learn how!

In the first video check the wet sand by the river and the small rocks... all CTS and height based blending!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  48. mattis89

mattis89

Hey! Have you encountered the 4gb texture limit issue? I have :(

49. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

That looks awesome!! :D That river and trees!!

50. drmanhattan

drmanhattan

NatureManufacture likes this.