Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. SSL7

SSL7

Regarding the snow/rain issue in MapMagic with CTS it would be a good time if you could talk with Dennis now that he is working on the integration, because as he said in his forum, he doesnt know about the issue.
    thank you.

edit: One more issue when spawing CTS on Runtime (Mapmagic) is that Unistorm doesn't move the season slider on the CTS Weather Manager. Snow and Rain sliders work fine.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

CTS news:

After many shader optimisation our basic shader is as fast as unity terrin shader with the same setup or a bit faster 5-10%. Ofc like always everything is relative we need to make more and more tests but from our first test it looked like this:
    Unity 188-190
    Basic 200-210 (with geo layer, global normal, colormap, no snow)
    Basic 212-214 (no global normal, no geo, no colormap, no snow)

We will also add optimised for build version which will jump it with performance alot - another 10-20% - we not sure about usability now. Anyway we are testing performance vs unity editor experiance and realtime changes. So hmm final result everyone we will see with new update and everyone will judge it yourself.

Our shader is trully first pass like we promissed, we jumped over unity bugs today (before it was 2 pass shader).
    We also added colormap feature.
    FPS boost in compare to unity terrain will grow after 4 each textures at unity terrain.
    All shaders like tesselation, advanced will get fps boost.

We added hole systems into terrain but.. It should be used for selected terrain tile or if you have 1 terrain hmm you could but you don't have to lose 20 fps (first early version). In this area we've added culling verts by sea level (optimisation for ship games etc) , this could give around 60-80% fps more, dependns from amount of sea area)

So in another few days we will focus on optimisation and adding new features.

I have also small info:

Dynamic Nature Starter now is 1:1 compatibile with CTS so you are able to get models blending 1:1 with terrain (take a look how it works) Dynamic Nature Starter is on sale today!. We added wind to our tree shader, and also tadam speed tree support (but not billobards yet) So you are able to cover trees by snow and seasons. We have few grass shaders there:
    - unity terrain shader (cheap and covered by snow)
    - uNature (cheap and covered by snow, probably it will need some actualisation now)
    - Heavy AAA grass shader for visualisations and.... for Vegetation studio which will handle it so you will get cool effect with good performance.
    Vegetation studio works on dynamic nature integration:)

Video:

Ok few screens from Dynamic Nature Starter - all assets from screens are included in pack , ofc SKY is not but you have all image effects as post process stack included:

-Unity grass shader:

- uNature Grass:

- Heavy grass shader for vegetation studio.

Dynamic Gifs related to the screens below:

https://gyazo.com/bc2a96e290489838b39e50c9c33334c4
    https://gyazo.com/56b3a4ef125d1decd1372a8b99049cbf

Other screens:

(unity grass, enviro)

Uh that's all:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. lawsochi

lawsochi

Incredibly cool! And you can make screens with rain and puddles, pleeez :)

4. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Nice, i am thinking of buying it to see how it works with CTS. I hope that after work, i will buy it before the sales ends.:).

When the optimizations for the basic shader will be avialable for CTS to download from Asset Store ?

5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Monday or a bit later when we polish all things - UI:). We will also make more tests:)

Rastapastor likes this.
  6. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Great cant wait. Bought the Dynamic Nature Starter, can't wait to see what can i make with it during the weekend :)

7. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

For anyone still on the fence about buying CTS or not I created a first look at CTS video. They include a side by side comparison and a FPS counter for the CTS part of the video. The full fly by side by side comparison videos are linked at the end of this video:

The assets used are: CTS (1.1.0), Gaia, Suimono, Tenkoku, Pegasus, Bird Flocks, Ultimate Game Music Collection, Unity Post Processing Stack.

I didn't do any optimizations and still the results are great.

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi Goodgulf, your showcase is useful as it shows how CTS looks in comparison to Unity terrain. Still - for performance measurement it's not much related to terrain shading. As other people posted above similar measurements (https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/page-15#post-3146242) - it might be a bit misleading. First what hardware you run it on? What are the tessellation values used as they can affect performance a lot (with overtessellated scenarios)?

In the end FPS counter shows how much does it take to render _everything together_ and gives an information that no single element (terrain, speed trees, water, postfx, etc.) kills (your machine).

So, when I personally test performance:

1. I open profiler
    2. then turn on GPU usage (not active by default - take care you don't have renderjobs active in player settings - they break GPU profiling)
    3. then I inspect "QuadTreeNodeRenderer" which is the job pushed by Unity when rendering terrain - look for it in gbuffer section or forward opaque rendering).

Then you can better see which elements take the most time and how to budget frame rendering time in relation to how many milliseconds terrain rendering takes in worst, best and average case. Also - look at how many drawcalls it issues (it's related to CPU load).

In forward it needs to be fired 3 times (1st - depth pass for shadow collecting, 2nd - to render shadowmaps, 3rd - to render terrain into camera target buffer).

In deferred it needs to be rendered twice - 1st - gbuffer (most expensive), 2nd - shadowmaps when necessary. If you don't use tessellation 2nd step is exactly the same as with Unity shader.

I found that for complex multilayer shaders (like CTS) it's generaly better to use deferred - esp. in case of highly tessellated terrain.

CPU profiling is also very useful to adjust optimal terrain layout (more smnaller terrain objects vs. less larger vs. terrain hieghtmap resolution vs. pixel error value used).

Tom

P.S. I esp. like nav mesh moving formation part ;)

9. Wright

Wright

I'd like to report the current progress: I've added CTS Output Generator to MapMagic that will handle all of the CTS-related stuff, and here is a quick video about how it works:

10. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

Hi Tom, you're absolutely right. Although the videos weren't meant to be a performance comparison -more a feature / value add comparison- I did fell for that trap by including the FPS counter didn't I? Thanks for the insights into properly measuring performance. Would be nice to include some of that in a split screen comparison, but let's first see if I can actually reproduce (and fully understand) your method first :).

For reference the PC is relatively high end since it needs to meet the Rift minimum specs: GTX980, i7-6700K@4Ghz, 16Gb, Win10. When I looked at VR previously the speedtree and grass were the heavy hitters so yes, it's not just the shader showing in the fps.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Great video - super cool !! :)

It's been commented here many times that performance is relative to your scene and to what you want to do with your game.

While we are already quite comfortable with the performance we delivered in the 1.1.0 release we always want to do better and in our next release we have made some significant advances. In some cases we even out performed unity which we were super happy with given how much more we are doing visually.

However, we also introduce new features which you can configure in a bunch of different ways, and all of these affect performance, and so it becomes more and more difficult to get an objective measure.

For example, something as simple as whether or not you are running 1k textures or 2k textures affects your performance. Has nothing to do with the shader and everything to do with the reality that moving more data takes more time. If you are targeting low end hardware then this could well be the difference that makes the difference and you need to make a render price vs render beauty judgement.

Our performance benchmark is Unity as its the only objective one we can think of for a given scene - and the question we ask ourselves is whether we can we deliver something that performs well - looks great - and is also usable by people like ourselves.

We have become a bit obsessive with performance and in the latest release there was a bunch of work that Bart and I did that we ended up shelving for now. We got it to run faster which was cool, but it failed the looks good test, so we took it out.

In the end, game development is a tradeoff between performance and beauty. CTS does it's best to deliver a balance between beauty, power and usability and it's impact on me personally is that I could no longer imagine using Unity without it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Goodgulf likes this.
  12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This can happen in two scenarios:

1. when you apply a CTS profile to a terrain that had more textures than the CTS profile has. You need to make sure the textures in the terrain match the number of textures in CTS.

2. or, you have added a new texture to your terrain but not told CTS about it. Hitting Bake Textures will resolve this.

GeNa of course :)

I have never used it. CTS will happily work with anything that uses standard unity texturing and splat maps.

13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Kennth, Rastapastor, BHS and 3 others like this.
  14. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

I tested the CTS demo scenes and discovered something very interesting...

On my laptop with 16 GB RAM and a cheap intel graphics card, the Landscape demo (25 tiles of terrain) runs between 10 to 80 FPS at the "Fantastic" setting. This bodes well for me using CTS on a large map that I had intended. I am very happy about that. It also means that CTS (in some situations) can run on an app on a laptop, which no doubt will be on the low end of player/customer systems using our apps. The fact that a large beautiful map with a lot of distant views can run on a laptop with CTS is great. I'm currently using it with that in mind.

But oddly enough, the closeup views of the "Basic" and "Swamp" scenes ran at between 2 to 4 FPS, both on "Fastest" and on "Fantastic" quality levels. The CTS closeup scenes on low-end systems are a CPU hog even at "Fastest" setting.

So, according to my testing, CTS will run on a low-end system even on a large map if you're not closeup to the scenery. I was wondering how to leverage the beauty of CTS on a huge map on "Fantastic" level on a low-end system like my laptop, but then (in the same scene) choke it down when I get into a camera close-up scene similar to the "Basic" demo? Is there a way?

Will World Streamer increase FPS for CTS in these closeup scenarios like the Basic and Swamp demos show? Based on what I reported above, do you think that if I use World Streamer, I can get the benefit of CTS on the large maps (on low-end systems like I tested it on), and then still get the benefit for closeup scenarios using World Streamer and CTS together? Because without World Streamer, CTS has 2 FPS to 4 FPS on the laptop I tested. I think it's fair for users of CTS to want to make this work on low-end systems too.

I noticed that there is absolutely no quality or FPS perfomance difference between "Fastest" and "Fantastic" for the CTS demos you have of "Basic" and "Swamp". So is it safe to assume that at this time, there is no build difference if I choose, for example, mobile settings and "Fastest"? So CTS renders the actual textures the same regardless of quality settings? And if that is the case, would that also be solved by using World Streamer?

mukki014 likes this.
  15. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

Amplify Texture 2 increases Unity terrain rendering speed by 1,500%. It would be great to see CTS (and Gaia 2) have an integration with Amplify Texture 2 which will be released in a few weeks or so.

http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/

CTS seems to be complimentary to it.

I bought World Streamer and like it, but since Amplify Texture also splices everything up, I'm wondering if those conflict. If they are complimentary, it would be great to see the Gaia 2 / CTS / World Streamer group align with the Amplify group.

Anyway, as I said above, I got an FPS of 2 to 4 on my tests of the CTS Basic demo and CTS Swamp demo terrains so it would be more realistic if it could be paired with an emerging technology like Amplify Texture 2. Gaia is an amazing product, I just know that people like me are pre-purchasing Amplify Texture 2 at $400 a pop because of the strength of that technology and it would be great for CTS and Gaia 2 (and World Streamer) to integrate with Amplify products.

16. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Amplify texture have no conflict with world streamer. We co-work together many years. I setup mmo game with world streamer+ ampilify texture 2 about 3 years ago.. Their system is available long time:). Umm with AT 2 you can stream terrain textures if they will behave like colormap so - 1 albedo per terrain. I would say its not really useful for terrain. CTS was made with Amplify tools and their team direct support.
    At next update ( i hope in 24-48h) many things will change in performance:).

Will world streamer help? Hm...if you will replace unity terrain by low poly meshes in far distance then yes. I could make direct shader support for this. This will be very cool idea:)

17. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

I wish there was a tool that combined all the most common used stuff like World Streamer, Gena, CTS etc. etc. be usable from one gui :). Opening tons of gui windows is annoying :), but i know its impossible.

Eagerly waiting for the performance update :)

18. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's delayed most likely to later this week.

With the introduction of cutout support I needed to find a way to use the cutout shader to minimise its performance impact (it's an expensive thing to do), and ended up totally reworking how we generate and use materials, which in turn caused other issues.

Its quite a significant change and needs a more time to be finalised and tested. Being ill and having some issues with my sight hasn't helped either.

Mark_01, blitzvb and Rastapastor like this.
  19. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

As Shigeru Miyamoto once said - "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.", so we can paraphrase it here as "A delayed shader is eventually good, but a rushed shader is forever bad." :). Take Your time healing and don't rush things out :D.

20. smada-luap

smada-luap

Someone will still moan and complain about how long it's taking...

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  21. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

There is yet no one born, who will make everyone happy :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  22. Velcrohead

Velcrohead

Has anyone had any luck integrating Curved world with CTS? Just bought CTS and opened the shader file and oh my god ahah. Don't even know where to start!

23. jbooth

jbooth

My preferred technique is to use a vendor specific GPU profiler. These can show you how many nano-seconds the shader is spending on each line of your code- you can even tweak the code and see how much of a difference it makes. I've also found Unity's profiler to be wrong in some cases (both CPU and GPU) and have had it send me down rabbit holes which don't exist. The only real downside to this is that these are vendor specific profilers, so you can make an optimization for one architecture, then realize it makes things slower on another one.

24. Mark_01

Mark_01

I agree take your time to heal Adam. I think your body, might be saying " slow down some " .

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  25. snacktime

snacktime

Not sure if this was brought up before, but CTS appears to work well on regular meshes. I took a unity terrain and converted it to a mesh, used the same material, and it looks great. It appears there is some difference in texture blending, but it's not noticeable that much, could be the difference in tri counts causing it to look slightly off.

With mesh 44 setpass 44 batches. Terrain 48 setpass 137 batches.

26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

After next update you will see that this batches from terrain will dissapear:). Normals could not work properly with mesh.

27. DigitalCandy

DigitalCandy

Easy fix for map magic. Select your terrain with the CTS script on it, find your global normal for that terrain in your project by clicking on it in the inspector. Highlight the actual normal texture file in your project, change any setting, change it back, hit apply. It now works, permanently

28. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Hey there, sort of a forward-thinking question I had, but I was wondering if either Bart or Adam had started looking at the scriptable render loop development that's been going on in the background? I mainly ask because there are supposedly two new render loops that Unity will be shipping with in the next couple months: a mobile-friendly one (farther along in being finalized) and a new HD render loop (slated to be considered in a good-but-rough state in October).

I don't pretend to know the guts and details of getting into SRLs, but it feels like lots of graphics-based assets will be affected by this shift, whether to accommodate the new default rendering modes or to empower asset developers to do newer/cooler/better/more performant things they couldn't with the current rendering pipeline still being opaque in certain places.

As always, thanks for another amazing product. :)

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It will be interesting to look into it just to see how Unity does it. Not sure whether or not we can get value from it.

Work on next release is continuing - got my new glasses back and can see again. Runtime support for map magic, the new optimisation idea, plus 3 new shaders to support cutouts in basic, advanced and tesselation means that I need to take a new approach to managing materials - and the challenge is that the wide range of scenarios that need to be supported means I can easily break things.

So at the moment its broken, but should have it all working together again nicely soon. The optimisations we have made plus the new features should make the next release a pretty sweet addition!

Mark_01, ZoneOfTanks and chiapet1021 like this.
  30. sadicus

sadicus

Will CTS work with Voxeland?

31. mukki014

mukki014

Hi i'm new with CTS can someone tell me , How to use it with Relief terrain or Map Magic?

32. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

is there any update on mobile performance or test ? i hope u can upload APk to test thanks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  33. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

If you're referring to RTP, then CTS is more like an alternative - it is also a type of relief terrain shader, and much more. Map Magic is supported (see above in thread).

mukki014 likes this.
  34. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora from across the ditch again @AdamGoodrich

Adam I guess your aware that Stefan has put splatmap out puts for CTS into World Creator 2 standalone
    Can I ask please which dir/folder is the correct one so that CTS see's them and knows where textures are to be placed, I see it does take in any textures that have been applied to the map, maybe just not always laying them to the original heatmaps, tho I have to say I'm going off Unity with it light flick issues

35. SSL7

SSL7

@AdamGoodrich We finally have the MapMagic 1.8.3 with CTS generator, but as I was afraid, again the snow effects doesnt work. Could you please co-operate with Denis and have this fixed? Its the main reason I changed from RTP to CTS, the rain/snow effects. :)

36. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

RTP already has rain / snow effects
    O__o

37. SSL7

SSL7

It s not compatible with Unistorm too with the weather manager, and CTS is more straight forward on MapMagic. And anyway, this is not the point of my post :)

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  38. mukki014

mukki014

I have seen the effect of shader in demo and also trailer of CTS. Its just awesome. So RTP is also a terrain shader ? Right.
    Well I think I can confirm the fact that World Creator terrain is working with CTS.
    I wanna get or atleast very close to the demo I've seen. So can you tell me how to get those kind of effects, I know effects consist of other components like image effects lighting. You can leave those topic. Just tell me what resolution of textures I should use. Like today I created a terrain in world creator about size of 2k and change import setting of textures to 2k but I still don't get desired effect. Do I need native 2k or 4k textures ?I wanna create AAA quality terrain. Like one we saw in trailer of unity assets. I'm sorry if I go off the topic. And one more thing I always use tesselation shader so do I also need to import displacement or height map for textures in order to see the effect of tesselation ? CTS already has ambient occlusion and other features. So do I still need to set SSAO effect ? Or CTS AO is more advanced. Thank you for the reply.

39. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i guess this statement clearly shows how things get out of control.
    hello guys, wake up!
    rtp is the terrain shader and has most likely introduced most of the terrain shading features any other terrain shader nowadays tries to mimic. i assume hundreds if not even thousands of hours of work which have been spent on developing rtp.
    so in my opinion it is a pretty silly performance going on here. and i do not really feel well with who ever is shouting out most loudly will get the fruits. people talking about unity and terrain shading should be aware of rtp, megasplat and any other long term supported solution.
    new kids on the block? you are welcome! but do not abandon your parents please.

cheers,
    lars

40. mukki014

mukki014

Do you talking to me ? I'm not a kid and I don't use RTP yet so I don't know. I just kept RTP in my arsenal. And I just start developing since July so I'm still learning my way around. But I practice and learn about developing and designing for 18hours daily.

Kennth likes this.
  41. pikoff

pikoff

Hello! could you help me?
    After build application for webgl I get error
    Chrome
    UnityLoader.js:1 exception thrown: TypeError: Failed to execute 'compressedTexSubImage2D' on 'WebGL2RenderingContext': parameter 8 is not of type 'ArrayBufferView'.,TypeError: Failed to execute 'compressedTexSubImage2D' on 'WebGL2RenderingContext': parameter 8 is not of type 'ArrayBufferView'.
    FireFox
    exception thrown: TypeError: Argument 8 of WebGL2RenderingContext.compressedTexSubImage2D is not an object.,_glCompressedTexSubImage3D@blob:null/b21ce5de-3486-415f-8a23-c91eaed8bbec:2:99038
    Tbm@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:28:1
    uDa@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:17:1
    qEa@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:17:1
    nva@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    Qub@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:11:1
    wub@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:11:1
    o1@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:8:1
    qqa@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    Kma@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    qla@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    pla@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    nla@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    kla@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    _9@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    M9@blob:null/93ae55b4-b8f2-4504-af63-a72b1ce99b9b:12:1
    callMain@blob:null/b21ce5de-3486-415f-8a23-c91eaed8bbec:4:29817
    doRun@blob:null/b21ce5de-3486-415f-8a23-c91eaed8bbec:4:30520
    run@blob:null/b21ce5de-3486-415f-8a23-c91eaed8bbec:4:30706
    runCaller@blob:null/b21ce5de-3486-415f-8a23-c91eaed8bbec:4:29334
    removeRunDependency@blob:null/b21ce5de-3486-415f-8a23-c91eaed8bbec:2:34431
    processDataJob@file:///D:/Projects/SH_B/Unity/Build/CTS/Build/UnityLoader.js:1:3549
    schedule/a.callback@file:///D:/Projects/SH_B/Unity/Build/CTS/Build/UnityLoader.js:1:15892

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I think we may have broken something - am checking into it.

I was not aware of what Stefan is doing with his standalone product :) If you have a normal unity terrain then they are presumably already assigned - so you are all good. If not, then you can assign them directly to the material in the relevant splat map slots.

Sort of hard to answer this as there are so many questions here. Will do my best:

To get the nicest effect with our textures set them to 2k - the originals are 2k textures.

To use tesselation or height blending properly you need to assign height map / displacement textures.

CTS has 3 settings for AO - None - Normal map based (generally good and fairly cheap), Texture based - in which case you also need to supply AO textures. I think Texture based looks best but its a little more expensive.

SSAO is more for things like grass and trees - but it does also have a slight impact on your terrain as well.

In general I agree with Lars. Every major terrain system on the store has had stacks of time and effort invested into it, and I have been appalled by some of the comments made since CTS was launched. For those that don't know, Lars is the author of Colormap Ultra Terrain Shader and an amazingly talented shader guy.

One of the downsides of putting yourself and your work out there is that every man and his dog seems to feel that its their god given right to pour out their version of who or what your product should be - and some of it is delivered in a way that is designed intentionally to hurt.

I really do wonder where these people get off - as publishers some of us feed our families based on what we put on the store, and we put months and months of hard work done to the best of our ability, and then support it, and charge less for an entire finished product than what we would charge for even an hour of our time personally.

In general I would expect other publishers to understand this, but unfortunately not even some of them seem to get it and I was amazed at the very personal attack that was made on Bart and I today. Interestingly, in my opinion you get back what you put out and everything you do is a reflection of who you are.

I have zero time for people who indulge in unprofessional behavior - whether they are customers of mine - or competitors. And if I see fan boy style behavior in my forums against a product mine or otherwise then I will be approaching the moderators to have the people involved banned.

For every project there are multiple tools - and each has its own strengths and weaknesses - and imho there is room enough for us all.

Think you need to be using webgl2.

43. magique

magique

In one sense I can sympathize with this statement, but in another you're not representing this correctly. Yes, you are charging less than an hours worth of professional coding time, but no you're not selling the end product to just one person. You're selling to a mass market and making a profit on the bulk sales of your product. Are you going to sit there and try to convince us that your total profit is not fair for the work you've done?

Kolyasisan, nxrighthere and elbows like this.
  44. elbows

elbows

I'm very confused because I see these sensible points being made with passion today but I dont understand what triggered them, has something been deleted from this forum thread or are you referring to something that happened elsewhere? I've tried rereading recent messages but all I see is someone that didnt know RTP was a terrain shader, hence my confusion.

I find one of the hardest aspects of this is maintaining an unemotional and professional tone when dealing with comments and reviews that are unprofessional, ill informed, rude, aggressive or threatening. Very much including reviews that are unfair. I have a vague memory of becoming rather uncomfortable about how a bad review was dealt with in one of your other threads some time ago, and I didnt consider it a professional response at all.

nxrighthere and magique like this.
  45. Mark_01

Mark_01

Neither is many of the other developer's that say this in their own promotion, ( about how many hour's of development , etc ) in their OWN forum's, with out having " the other team's " fan boy's coming into their forum's with continued and ongoing statements of support of a " competing " product. Having an " opinion " is fine, but by underhandedly through
    statements promoting other product's in this forum for the topic of CTS . Is what Adam is talking about,
    yes he can speak for himself and yes I am writing this in anger and that's not good. Really that was not Adams main talking point and to go after that statement to sway or minimize / trivialize what he was really trying to say, in a nice way.

Your not getting the point. AFAIK Adam has given more lea-way to people talking about other competing products
    then any other asset store developer their own forums and far more then they would put up with.

And to be clear, it was NOT the developer's of the competing products that felt the need to jump in
    here all on their own. If some one has obviously shown a bias towards another product, AND has no intention
    of buying " what ever " in the forum they are posting in, then really why are they still in the thread posting ?

Adam has been more easy going about that then most and maybe it affected his health last week.

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  46. elbows

elbows

Someone just took the time to send me a PM explaining a bad situation that happened recently which I can understand, and overlaps with what you have said there.

I have to say though its no wonder I was confused because I cant actually see (m)any places in Adams post where he is addressing that particular issue explicitly, as opposed to a bunch of other ones.

S4G4N likes this.
  47. magique

magique

I completely understand and agree with that aspect of the situation, which is why I didn't address that part. I was only addressing the part that was a misrepresentation. However, that being said I do believe there should be a fair amount of lee-way given to talk of competing products. But there is a line to be crossed and I agree that it has been crossed many times to the detriment of all.

48. elbows

elbows

It's an especially big shame not just because of how tolerant Adam has been to the discussion of competing or somewhat overlapping products, but also because Gaia and more recently CTS are surely shining examples of how many different asset authors (and users) can benefit when there is a lot of effort put into both cross-compatibility and cross-promotion of assets. I would hope the successful stuff on that front still hugely outweighs the negatives.

49. Mark_01

Mark_01

You are right you don't see many places, that is/ was because of Adam's willingness for a open environment where
    people new and old to Unity can get a lot of different " opinion's " And even though he may not say something,
    that does not mean it is / was not hurtful. And the real point is that many of the other " similar " cross-compatibility / competing products would not allow this type of discussion in their forums.

Your right and i agree with you :)

Quote Adam " Interestingly, in my opinion you get back what you put out and everything you do is a reflection of who you are. "

This is a choice of what matter's in life. And changing your view because of other people is not the way to go. But at some point it is enough

50. claudius_I

claudius_I

hi
    i want buy CTS but i need wait a few week because i dont have money yet xD

i want to know if the seasonal variation change the color of tree and grass or only modify thre ground?

if not. there is an asset in the store what do that?

thanks