Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

I'm strongly considering buying CTS for two reasons: First, it supports Substance directly, rather than having to bake textures out of substance. Second, CTS from your video tutorials seems very easy to set up and to script interact with my own environment management logic.

I do have a couple of questions:
    1. Could you please elaborate a bit on your Substance integration? Is it just a matter of edit-time population of Substance textures into the fields in a CTS profile? Or is it deeper than that? In particular, what if I have a Substance archive that produces multiple materials as outputs, or I have created multiple materials from a Substance with different variants of the procedural parameters?
    2. No offense to Gaia, but I'm using Terrain Composer in some projects and World Creator in others. Both of these have rule-based systems that apply textures based on terrain height, slope, and so on, with biome-like zones and different texture sets for different zones. How does CTS interact with something like that, and has it been tested at all with either of those terrain systems?
    3. Will CTS work okay with a tool like EZ Roads 3D, which modifies terrain features late in the creation process?
    4. I see in this thread several passing mentions of UniStorm. What's the status of integration there? (If the answer is, "It's known to work but one needs to create a thin integration library," that's okay, as I'm comfortable with C#.)
    Thanks for listening. This looks like a great asset.

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You drop your substance into the substance slot - CTS exports the textures for you and pre populates the outputted textures into the various texture slots. If you change settings you will need to re-export these textures - thats convenient as well - you can tick a checkmark to automatically do this when you bake your textures.

None taken. CTS was not linked to Gaia in any way, although it borrows a lot from what I have learned after 3 years of specializing in terrain, and will work with any terrain tool that does texturing in the normal way i.e. via splats, so if they support normal terrain splatting then it will work seamlessly. The implication of this decision was that each terrain can only support a maximum of 16 textures - and our thought was that this is over kill for many situations.

No we have not tested with other terrain tools.

Again -> Standard terrain in -> CTS will work. You will need to re-bake your global normal maps after modifying your terrain heights - however this is a single button click - and usually a rare occurrence.

I am in communication with the author and its on the way. In the mean timer integration is simple. You find the instance of this in your scene (there will be only one) and modify the properties on it.

It broadcasts the changes out to all of the terrains that CTS is attached to. Simple and effective.

Integration.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    syscrusher likes this.
  3. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

I'm probably missing something big, but I've read through the readme multiple times and can't figure this out. In "Scene" mode, everything looks as it should, but when I go to "Play/Game" mode, the textures/normals change and look flat. I've tried running the builder, to no avail. Any thoughts?

Silly me, I missed the "Runtime Mode" option. Doh! If it wasn't for the convenient "Help" toggles, I might have looked really silly there . . . . ;)

Hmmm . . . well, actually, the problem is persisting, even after applying the profile. Odd.

Looks as though it's designed to only work when the project is actually built. Makes sense. Ignore me :)

4. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm curious about Mac support. You mention Metal, which is awesome but only supports pragma target 4.5. Do you support OpenGL on Mac? OpenGL can do pragma target 4.6 and ought to support tessellation (other terrain tools do)... but the hardware support section on the asset store makes no mention of regular OpenGL support (only ES and Web).

The virtual world I'm building for isn't planning on adding Metal support for a couple months, so regardless of tessellation support I need it to be able to work with OpenGL 4.1 on Mac...

Dwight_Everhart likes this.
  5. one_one

one_one

Great! I'd gladly pay more for mesh blending as it is pretty much a must-have for modern terrain shading. Slopes, cliffs, rocks, roads - it's important to make them look like parts of the terrain, which gets very tricky without blending.

pixelsteam and AdamGoodrich like this.
  6. jimburn

jimburn

Hi Adam, I have a problem with the Snow (Water).
    Water won't accumulate on slopes, and also generally not on the top of cliffs.
    It would be great if you had 2 more options to limit the water showing by slope and by height.
    For example Max height would limit the water to a certain height, and max Slope to a certain slope.

I hope that it can be done, because right now, hills are showing weird in the middle of my tropical paradise!

About moving from Megasplat to CTS I don't think Jason is still friend with you since I am quite sure that his asset is not going to sell well after now that CTS is released. But it is called progress. Megasplat was a technical experiment, I never get it work on my project. CTS is working perfectly.

And people seems to not pay attention to the basic mode. For me it is really good because it mixes all the textures exactly the same way as Unity does, which is very important to get the vegetation matching the textures perfectly. The advanced version give quite random results to the fact that it is not mixing the textures, in my case, many textures that were not noticeable are going upfront, the result is visually good, but I get Ivy in place of sand in my lake for example.

7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I will add this.
    Hmmm I'm still in contact with Jason (everyday). He helping me alot all the time via skype -we do not compate. Megasplat is different way of thinking then I present in shader build and workflow. Im sure megasplat is better in some cases because it is.
    Hmm because Advanced need different way of painting for example; stone will show up at 0.07 density, at unity its invissible. If you will start painting your game with advanced shader, you will never back to basic or unity shader hehe. Anyway this make them diffucult to compare at 1 terrain;p

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  8. olavrv

olavrv

Just purchased this, and it is amazing! Definitely the best terrain shader system around. We previously used RTP3.

BUT: We are really missing the cut-hole functionality that we used in RTP. Is this possible to do in CTS?

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks - we plan to get see through terrain within a few weeks. You will need to handle disabling unity terrain yourself thoough - this should be a relatively simple collider / collision sort of thing.

10. olavrv

olavrv

Sounds great. We would like to remove the triangles below sea level. Is there any method to do this atm? (ie. workaround)

11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not that I am aware of. I am open to suggestions from the community. If not crazily time consuming / difficult we can look at supporting something more sophisticated than merely see through terrain.

12. olavrv

olavrv

In RTP3 it uses alpha in a globalmap to discard triangles, this increases performance a lot (!) when you have a terrain with a lot of ocean.

13. ColonelTim

ColonelTim

Hi,

I recently purchased this package and encounters an issue.
    When using advanced or tesselated mode, a wireframe is visible over the terrain. This is ugly in advanced mode and worse in tesselated one (of course there are more wireframes visible, cause of tesselation nature...)

Please find below different screens of what happens.

It looks fine in basic mode:

Some wireframe are visible in advanced mode (don't know if it will be very visible on the post, see the closest rocky terrain on the left):

Tesselated:

I hope this is not related to my hardware :/

Thanks a lot,
    Tim

14. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

What gpu and unity version? Do you have dx9 or 11? Also actualize drivers.

15. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I will try:)

Mark_01 and olavrv like this.
  16. ColonelTim

ColonelTim

ATI Radeon HD 6970 CUII (starting to be a bit old...) and DX11.

When I was developing in DirectX/C++, I had to take into account different behaviors between ATI and NVIDIA (in tree leaf animation shaders for example, but there must be various other examples)

When fully covering the landscape with the "snow" layer (used in swamp demo for water), the wireframe disappears, so the issue comes from the base terrain (I didn't find any other setting for reducing or increasing wireframe)

17. olavrv

olavrv

18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I know how to make it its 10seconds but i wonder how much it will cost in gpu.
    Snow behave the same as other textures but probably lines in snow are invisible because of color. You saw them at swamp - swamp is also snow at this scene. Hmm how about project settings?
    -linear?
    - gamma?
    - defered ?
    - forward?
    - anisotropy AA etc.
    Fresh project ? without any other assets?

How about actual drivers? Some things could goes from drivers.

19. eaque

eaque

Last night, i bought it!!And because of you guys i was quite tired this morning cause i played too much with it! :) And my first impression was : "It is so easy to use and understand!!" Thank you guys only for that!! I took a terrain i had, already painted. 10 clicks later "Boom!" My old terrain was thrown into the 21st century! In few seconds!!

I wish all the authors had this "Kiss" principle you were talking about as an objective for people like me!;)

I guess a lot of people already have a lot of terrains to upgrade with CTS, it would be fun and interesting to show pics Before/After CTS!! it is so easy to set up! People could really see the graphic revolution (compared with unity default)! Stunning!
    I will definitely do that and show some before and after of my (very simple) terrains real soon! I'm impressed!!;)

I will revert later on the performance impact, i need to study that deeper and it's brand new so it's gonna be updated a lot..

It's so nice to hear that!
    Peace out!

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I finished performance today. Adam will probably upload it tommorow:)

21. elbows

elbows

Since last time I replied to your previous mac question I only went on about what pragma target metal is, I thought I'd try CTS on my mac for you. In opengl mode it appears to work fine, including the tessellation mode. I only tried the demo scenes quickly though, and I would perhaps wait for the version with performance improvements given the typically lower GPU power in most macs (I've got a 1070 in an old mac pro tower so not a typical setup).

Dwight_Everhart and trilobyteme like this.
  22. ColonelTim

ColonelTim

Good point for the snow color. I hadn't thought to it (my brains must be melting because it is the end of the week...)
    As indicated in the readme files, I set all rendering settings to deferred (camera, and graphic settings), and set the Linear mode. I even checked the texturing mode (clamp...), as I had already seen this kind of effect using "repeat" texturing mode when developing HLSL terrain shader.

I can't see why gamma and anisotropy could have an impact of this kind (although a big anisotropic filtering pass could probably reduce this effect, I don't think this is an ideal solution)

I think I will check the drivers, but I have never seen this kind of rendering artefact in any other Unity package or project, so I'm not very optimistic.

It's too bad because this shader package seems really promising, but I currently can't use it (or only "basic" mode, but that would be a pity...)

23. jimburn

jimburn

I have another problem with night / day.
    The day color is good, but the night is not matching the current light.
    I think that you should check that, maybe add a slot where we drag and drop the current sun, then do o.Albedo=o.Albedo*_Sunlight
    Something like this, just to get the water / snow changing with the sunlight.
    What do you think?

Another problem, I cannot get the water to be bright yellow, or blue, it does always turn to dark. After 50% it seems that the brightness is getting into the negative. (forgot to do saturate(o.Albedo.rgb) ???
    So the Snow/Water color can only be dark, even when using brightness to compensate. Actually I try to get something like the picture attached , but whatever combi I try with the Brightness, Smoothess and color, it does not work.

Here is the result I try to get: 20170527_094745.jpg

Here is the same scene day/night. Note the phosphorescent look in the night.Also behind the trees, the textures are looking self illuminated, because of the water.

buildings_night.jpg
    buildings_11.jpg

24. jakejolli

jakejolli

Hi Adam,

Thanks for these great assets.

I've been using Gaia for about a week, and just imported CTS into my project, and now I'm getting some compiler errors.

They're coming from the scripts 'CTSTerrainTextureDetails.cs' and 'CTSProfile.cs', and they're both type/namespace errors for ProceduralMaterial, which Unity cannot find.

I'm eager to start using CTS, but I'm going to have to uninstall it for the time being so I can get the ability to build/test back.

Can you assist?

I suppose I should note that I'm using Unity 5.5.4f1, but I'm assuming that shouldn't be an issue given that the asset store lists 5.5.0 the lowest compatible version.

**Update:
    After some more troubleshooting, I've realized that I only get the error while trying to build, or when trying to play the scene immediately after trying to build.

I believe this is because I'm deploying to WebGL, which, according to this post, does not *really* support the ProceduralMaterial class.

Is there some way I can get this working for WebGL? I don't need to update materials at runtime.

For now I'll try building my terrain, then removing the CTS scripts when trying to build.

Thanks,
    Jake

25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm... that's interesting. If we can detect some how with compiler defines then we can conditionally compile it out. I will look into this.

26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Btw.. can you let me know what the errors are ? Thx.

27. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

MAN you have to put reflection probe for this area and bake it or left realtime with low res to save performance. At swamp movie demo I had the same issue until i've added reflection probe for area where is water:).
    If you have dynamic light etc it must be realtime:)

ZoneOfTanks and AdamGoodrich like this.
  28. jimburn

jimburn

Megasplat has been a total disaster, a waste of money, and my worse experience with the Asset Store so far - making me loosing about a week in my schedule.
    Here is what I wanted: textures matching vegetation: that mean if I put grass on a green texture, I don't want a rock to replace it and have the grass on the rock. I use World Creator to generate my terrains, I have +70 different type of trees and +30 type of grass, including underwater vegetation. I cannot fix texture/grass matching manually.
    This result (actually displayed is CTS running)( was absolutely impossible to do with Megasplat, due to a flawed conversion from unity terrain to his tool. After having acknowledged the problem, and the fact I will not be able to use his tool, he refused to refund my money. I am very bitter about this experience, my budget is small, my salary is low and I live in a 3rd world country in East Asia, I cannot afford to buy useless tool, specially from people who are advertising features that are not working. I will NEVER buy anything to this guy ever.
    So thanks for being professional and deliver a product that matches the description, it feels good and the Asset Store reputation have raised one step because of you.

CTS-1.jpg

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  29. jimburn

jimburn

The reflection is only SSR (from the post processing stack). I use no planar reflection. But I think that I have found the problem, the Global Smoothness was the problem, it was too high.., Now I can get the result I want. CTS rocks... it solved many problems. Keep up the good work.

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  30. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

SSR is expensive and will not give you proper result in far distance because its off.

31. jakejolli

jakejolli

Wow, I can see why your customer service is so often mentioned in reviews. Great response time!

The exact errors are:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/CTS/Scripts/CTSProfile.cs(917,37): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ProceduralMaterial' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    2. Assets/CTS/Scripts/CTSProfile.cs(1029,54): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ProceduralMaterial' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    3. Assets/CTS/Scripts/CTSTerrainTextureDetails.cs(82,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ProceduralMaterial' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    4. Assets/CTS/Scripts/CTSTerrainTextureDetails.cs(103,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ProceduralMaterial' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    5. Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    Also just noticed this:

When my target platform is Desktop, this is my scene view for your landscape demo scene:
    Desktop.PNG

When I switch to WebGL i see this:
    WebGL.PNG

I also get the error

Code (CSharp):
    1. Loading script assembly "Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.dll" failed!
    in WebGL.

32. magique

magique

That's a shock to hear that. I have MegaSplat and it's the best terrain shader I've used so far. I can't speak of CTS because I don't have it. And Jason was super professional and helpful for everything I needed. When I was trying to get it to work for the Wii U he even spent many hours helping me to troubleshoot it before we found that Unity didn't support texture arrays for the Wii U. But since I moved to a PC build, MegaSplat has been fantastic. I think your experience is rather isolated.

33. magique

magique

How does this have anything to do with the terrain shader? Isn't that more to do with the object placement tools you are using?

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  34. jimburn

jimburn

35. jimburn

jimburn

I think that it is a forum about CTS, I will be happy to debate about Megasplat in another place ;) Glad that you like it.
    CTS is by far superior to Distingo, RTP, Megasplat, UV-Free Triplanar etc... Kudo to the authors of CTS, technology have moved one step further.

36. magique

magique

Not in regards to the question. How does CTS place your vegetation based on textures?

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Dont be so critic to them. Everyone have idea and complete it. Btw Jason help me alot when I was making this shader. He teach me alot and give knowledge many times.

38. jimburn

jimburn

CTS take the unity terrain and accurately matches where the texture were originally. In consequence the vegetation don't need to be moved, they are still perfectly placed as it was on the Unity Terrain.
    Megasplat has a problem when converting Unity terrains, and the textures are not accurately converted to a Megasplat terrain. In result, some textures are moved randomly resulting in grass being on rocks, or sand: it is a mess.
    If you want to create a complex terrain with vegetation you cannot do it by hand, you need to use a tool like Gaia, World Creator (my choice), World Composer etc... These will create both the terrain, the texture map and place the vegetation based on rules, very precisely.
    When converting to any terrain shader, the matching between rocks and vegetation must be kept or it is impossible to use because you loose all the benefit of using a terrain generator and need to fix everything by hand.

39. magique

magique

That makes more sense. I understand Jason has improved that conversion process and things are better, but it's definitely a paradigm shift using MegaSplat because you are no longer using a texture to texture conversion, but going from a single texture to a cluster of textures. For me, I will be using Awesome Vegetation Studio, which will have a MegaSplat plugin and vegetation rules can be based on texturing clusters, which should match accurately. But I understand your situation. I still think you are being very harsh to Jason and what he's accomplished.

40. ColonelTim

ColonelTim

Played with settings for several hours, checked recommended ones, looked for precision issues or difference between Basic (looking good) and Advanced (F***ed up) modes Vertex shaders code, and updated my GPU drivers, but looks like it is definitely unusable....

The "Basic" mode is quite cool already, but the terrain per-height texturing, and distance aspect improvement were the most interesting parts....

That's too bad because far mountains are gorgeous, but close terrain is far too ugly to make any project with this package (place crying sound here).

But I'm happy that it works for most people.

S4G4N likes this.
  41. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Tommorow |I could send you small test, maybe it will help.

hmmmm I will check what is going on I will try to find difference. Btw tommorow or today Adam will upload new rebuilded version, maybe it will help. If not catch me via skype and we will try to jump over this.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  42. bigmonkgames

bigmonkgames

I threw a little environment together using Gaia, Gena, CTS and the rest were free art assets (models,textures, etc.)

43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This is a CTS forum, so lets keep the conversation just about CTS please. I guess I would to say one thing however, and actually that's a big thanks to Jason. He is is part of the Gaia 2 beta, so we speak quite often, and both Bart and I are very grateful for the support he has given us, even though he knows that we have a competing product. CTS is better thanks to his constructive feedback. Speaks volumes for his character imho.

44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nice!

This is very interesting (and frustrating all round), the issues you are having. I understand your review now. Unfortunately we can't test for every card, particularly older ones, but if we can we will get all the modes going for you.

I do however disagree about your comments on the basic terrain shader. It is orders of magnitude better than Unity, and you can get absolutely stunning results with it if you take some some time and tweak the settings to get the result you want.

Here are some screens showing basic vs advanced from the other day. I was going to turn this project into a downloadable playable demo but Unity 2017.1.f1 decided to trash the project and I lost the work :(

Basic:
    Basic.jpg

Advanced:
    Advanced.jpg

Basic:
    Grab 20170523122508 w1920h1029 x-966y62z-390r97.jpg

Basic:
    Grab 20170513075251 w1920h1029 x44y77z-598r325.jpg

Mark_01, S4G4N, TeagansDad and 2 others like this.
  45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

One good turn... sigh... we added this to make it more convenient for the many people who use substances.

I will install WebGL and see if i can compile that out so that you can at least build. FYI, in my Gaia experiments I have had very poor results using decent sized terrain in WebGL. The issue seems to be that most WebGL players have very limited memory, and as often as not when I have tried terrain there, it hasn't worked - but that is quite an old experience - I will check again and see if its improved in the past 8 months or so.

Your second image seems to indicate that Unity does fog differently in WebGL than it does on the desktop. There is not much we can do about how Unity choose to do fog :)

S4G4N and syscrusher like this.
  46. jbooth

jbooth

Most browsers will kill a WebGL app if is consumes more than 512mb of memory, which is sad, because you might be on a GPU with 8gb of memory. I was also under the impression that TextureArrays didn't work under WebGL at all (they certainly didn't under 1.0, under 2.0 they are supported, but I didn't think Unity had implemented them yet).

You can implement your own fog in the final color function, though I find it odd that it would look different on WebGL..

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It really annoys me what Google did with Chrome regarding plugins e.g. Unity plugin. Having spent many many hours over the years trying to get web sites playing nicely across the browsers it seems like ground hog day all over again.

48. jbooth

jbooth

The web will always be a mess, because if someone can tilt the scales in their favor, there's a lot of money to be made. So people spend all their time trying to tilt the scale in their favor rather than moving the whole ecosystem forward.

49. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Thanks, I was hoping that the omission from OpenGL on the asset store was a mistake and am glad to hear that it's the case.

Dwight_Everhart likes this.
  50. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey