Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Recon03

Recon03

Its NOT cheap, not for a cheap priced asset...Shader coders cost hundreds per hour.... and Unity shader code is a nightmare, I been coding in Unity for years...Now thats shader graph in Unreal its easy./.. Unity shader graph is a piece of junk... ok to be fair its new... but still a nightmare... still...compared to Unreal graphs.....

CTS was made before with Amplify which is comparable to Unreal.. So, as Adam said its expensive. coders in general aren't cheap.. I charged 120-180 an hour..in real world, and shader coders in general are getting less and less..

. .:

2. Recon03

Recon03

This is rare that happens... from PW..... but more common in the asset store, due to how cheap assets are and most asset devs don't make a good living... I know as someone who has been around for decades I would NEVER sell my work for 20-100$...No way in hell... I make more in real world, before I had retired... So its something you better get used to with asset devs outside of PW...

PW is one of few that do support all of there ASSETS and well... CTS was a partnership ... so sometimes its beyond there control, but if you stop using PW tools.... than you are missing out on one of few asset devs that are PROFESSIONAL on the store... just saying, this is coming from someone who is now retired from doing years of client work, 28 years... and someone who has supported PW since the start... and they never let me down.....

expect assets to go out of date, and for them to charge for upgrades, no one works for free.. I doubt you do? So that ends up what happens when selling assets so cheap.... They never last..

But I know PW has had GAIA, GENA for years ...... I have used both in professional manner.... Gena is the first tool that would enter my project...

Be well.. Don't let CTS, issue cause you to not buy from PW.... you will regret it.. I use Unreal for 20 years and wish GENA was in Unreal..... that is how much I like the tool... and I used many different software over the years.

PS, if it was 2 weeks I cant see why they would of not refunded you....

AdamGoodrich and TeagansDad like this.
  3. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

The whole deprecation and asset abandonment issues have soured me from buying as many assets as I use to. I understand, though, that on the whole these developers don't make much money in comparison to the amount of time and effort they need to devote to their products. I can well see why so many just give up and walk away. It doesn't mean those of us who purchase these items aren't upset and left hanging, but, I do see both sides.

Also, as far as PW's issues, I can see their situation as mostly out of their hands. PW's products are top tier so I'd hate to see people punish PW for this.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  4. Recon03

Recon03

Yup, I completely understand and also got mad, at some asset since I own 200 + and 195 are not usable, due to them being junk from the start. but I wanted to be sure everyone sees both sides. Alot of the times, people just lash out. I been on both sides, believe me, and like I said its the reason i refuse to sell my work ever.. people always asked me, but I can't see myself supporting thousands of people for 20$. . when I can support 10 people for them paying for my hard work.. in the thousands.. So in real world we make more money and can support our users. I know ADAM also does real world, as well. So its something that is a battle with asset stores. sadly.

This is also why I hate if source code of any kind or shader code is not accessible.. in development its a must.. I stopped supporting most assets that do this, unless I really know the developer REAL WELL..

also a business makes mistakes they are human, like ADAM was saying, about partners, I doubt he would ever take one on again, because it can make him look bad, and I know he really cares about support. I got to know him real well, over the years. Which is why I tend to back him up.. The asset store is full of junk and PW tools, have never failed me in the professional world... which matters the most.. I use Unity way less since I retired, mostly with kids and other stuff when I use Unity these days , but I seen this post and wanted to comment. I use Unreal and you don't need assets for 20+ years.. and ... just saying. :) You don't have to worry about asset issues..

PS: PW assets is what keep me using Unity in a professional setting. With out them, I would of never keep using Unity over the years.

This is why I speak up the way I do.

Anyways be well Steven.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    TeagansDad and StevenPicard like this.
  5. lod3

lod3

What would be the closest replacement for CTS right now?

6. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Relief Terrain Pack 3?

lod3 likes this.
  7. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Microsplat

AlexisInco and lod3 like this.
  8. MarkSharpe

MarkSharpe

Hi, I'm having problems with the terrain editor accepting materials under the basic terrain tab. The Error: Can't use materials with shaders which need tangent geometry on terrain, use URP/Terrain/Lit instead. So when I create a new material and try to push it through it drops all the color and when apply it the error clears but the entire map is a default checkerboard map. I also cannot paint textures or effectively paint trees onto the terrain either. Any help is appreciated Unity 2021.1.6f1

9. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@MarkSharpe CTS doesn't work with 2021. Its has been deprecated and only worked with 2020.3 I believe

10. Unplug

Unplug

those high quality asset should be bought by unity at good price and be integrated directly into unity. The only reason they should let go those kind of professional asset is because it has become standard in the engine. It's sad otherwise

11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It would be great to see something like this happen!

Unplug likes this.
  12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Better yet. Unity should release a decent terrain shader.

13. Recon03

Recon03

yes alot of things sadly Unity should have.. like most other engines. If Unity made games like Unreal and others, they would have these things, this is what hold Unity back sadly.

14. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

What is the maximum Unity version CTS is compatible with?

I realize its not getting updates so far as I know but what is the max Unity Version that it currently supports? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  15. Shadowing

Shadowing

I think its Unity 20.3.--

Hawk0077 likes this.
  16. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Shadowing, much appreciated. Again.

17. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Shame it asted 3 years or so.

18. tredpro

tredpro

i am struggling to solve this but can anyone help? i get these errors when i bake textures or something. i believe i learned how to solve it before but i cant remember. the errors i get are

Graphics.CopyTexture source and destination have different master texture limits. Source 1, Destination 0 UnityEngine.Graphics:CopyTexture (UnityEngine.Texture,int,int,UnityEngine.Texture,int,int) CTS.CTSProfile:GetTextureArray (System.Collections.Generic.List`1<UnityEngine.Texture2D>,CTS.CTSConst

it changes all my textures to a grey and i have to run gaia again. i believe it happened when i upgraded to gaia pro 2021

19. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Not sure if its the same issue I had but when I upgraded my project from 2019.4 to 2020+ the terrain was lawyas invisible.

I believe its because CTS no longer beging supported and isnt compatible beyond a specific version.

Im kindda pissed that its not being supported because I paid for it in 2017/18ish got it allworking fine, upgraded to 2019 version and then they stopped supporting it. They did the same with pathpainter too. And I refuse to buy Pathpainter 2 for fear they will do the same again. I meean whats the good supporting a company through its assets when in a year or so they dump you/ the asset, so you have to keep the Unity version you have, os find another shader.

So, I decided to complete my game with 2019.4. I just upgraded from 2019.4.33f, to 2019.4.34f and it still works fine with those.

I believe it may also work with 2020.1, but when I tried 2020.3 CTS definitely didnt work.

So Unity version could be an issue.

Just thought I would dump al that your way.

other than that, im no developer so wouldnt be able to help. Good luck.

Not surre about the Gaia stuff.

20. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

2019 is your best bet with Gaia 2 as the platform you should use with it.

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This decision was not in our control, as has already been explained here.

Also beyond our control. The partnership seemed like a good idea at the time but eventually the author of Path Painter wanted to do it himself, and I am not the sort of person who wants to dictate what other people do with their IP. I believe he put in place a process to get you up and running.

What I can say, is that I have learned from these experiences and will never again do a partnership which leaves us at risk as it is us that gets the bad reputation. Our approach now is to have 100% ownership of anything we put into the unity asset store.

BrokenVector and Hawk0077 like this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hawk0077 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  23. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks for the heads up adam. Glad you learned by it. I didnt realize these were shared - oh until recently I saw NM as a contributer.

24. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Congrats on the creative eye. That creates a cvery clean and tidy forum experience for users - nothing like that godawful discord which does the oposite of Unity and creates discord in my mind. Its a mess. Vent over. lol

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  25. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Can i get same Result with Microsplat?

why when import Frozen Land Demo so much Materials are Pink and Shader not work.

Also how can Switch from CTS to Microsplat because CTS not Supported anymore and Microspklat has Snow Trails and Tracks with deep snow etc.

With CTS

Is there a way with Mcirosplat look same?

CTS with Vegetation Studio Pro Biome Splat
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494620340077592576/941825889283481650/unknown.png

2nd 2 Screenshot with Mictosplat 1 after Convert 2nd with Some Tweaks
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494620340077592576/941825889807765504/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494620340077592576/941832857553346611/unknown.png

Or cant get Microsplat that result? Or can you implement microsplat in VS Pro like CTS?

The CTS Result is automatic with Vegetation Studio Pro

Thank you so much

26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Suggest you send your questions to the author of Microsplat. We don't use it.

27. frankslater

frankslater

Posting here as well, in case somebody is facing the same thing. I only learned recently that the path to Path Painter 2 is broken for those who didn't use the path to version 1. Please don't buy PP2. I contacted the Asset Store about this mid October and will let you know when I have news.

You can also track this in our support article that was created for this.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  28. frankslater

frankslater

Unity said they can't help, but don't give up hope just yet. Please get in touch. I've been able to help all the users that contacted me about this so far.

29. keifyb

keifyb

I just found out this news as i haven't had chance to use unity is some time and wow how things change.

Not sure when CTS was released so i was just wondering if i am within the 6 months of the launch of CTS to get whatever it is that is free. Purchase date: Sep 27, 2017.

Also looks like my GeNa asset is dead too that i got. Purchase date: Nov 3, 2016

I really like CTS and GeNa and am gutted about it is gone now.

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

While those original assets have long been deprecated, you can still download them from the asset store, and they will still happily work for the Unity versions they were targeted at.

You can also choose to upgrade to GeNa 2 or GeNa Pro, and we now also have GTS, which is a complete re-write and the spiritual successor to CTS.

All of our upgrades are offered at a discount for people who previously purchased our assets, and the discounted prices should show on the relevant asset store pages.

DragonmoN likes this.
  31. SSL7

SSL7

Is there an API documentation for CTS? Trying to mess with Optimization Settings in runtime for the Quality Settings menu

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We deprecated it years ago. What you have is what came with the asset.

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. vinnygombici

vinnygombici

Hello, we've been using CTS pour 6 years now and honestly, it still works great in unity 2022 (for what we are doing with it anyway). Howver, trying to port to PS5 is a bit difficult with CTS advanced shader. We just heard about GTS and were wondering how hard/easy it would be to transpose our CTS profile to GTS? The thing is, we launch our game in Q1 2024 and we have 20 huge maps to redo if we want to move to GTS. Anyone tried this before?

adamgoodrich-pw likes this.
  34. swredcam

swredcam

Is there no migration path or utility from CTS to anything else? I get that PW may not have access any longer but older projects that have a ton of CTS terrain need to be maintained. I'm really beginning to see the danger of using third-party assets.

35. C_p_H

C_p_H

A few years ago I noticed MapMagic 2 contains CTS compatibility that allowed for me to import those old terrain shaders and generate newer built-in MM2 versions that eventually replaced them.

36. adamgoodrich-pw

adamgoodrich-pw

Our current terrain shader is GTS. As previously mentioned no longer have any ability to work with CTS.

37. adamgoodrich-pw

adamgoodrich-pw

Glad you are still getting benefit. Quite unexpected!

We do not have any plans to port the profiles to GTS.