Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Crossway

Crossway

What kind of information? After updating CTS 2019 from 1.9.1 to the last version I lose 8 more fps (35 to 27) with same setting.
    I use CTS Basic with unity build-in render mode. (Unity 2018.3.1)

2. BryanPW

BryanPW

f you can please do a comparison of the CTS demo scenes, to see if there is a degradation. Also please check to see if Draw instanced setting on. Also there is a bug reported that you can check as well, if you go to your profile settings and look to see if there is an entry called "Semaphore.WaitForSignal". this was for you.

Crossway likes this.
  3. Crossway

Crossway

I Couldn't fix the problem! I don't have enough time to dig more so I revert back to CTS 2019 1.9.1v and it's good I get 35 frames again.

If I'm going to update again someday I hope to not face this issue again :(
    Also I use vegetation studio too maybe that's involved somehow.

4. SLASH24

SLASH24

HIi There ! I'm using CTS 2019 along with Map Magic,
    When I set up the textures on terrain, once I enter play mode, the look of the terrain revert back to something else...
    I can't manage to keep my terrain settings and appearance persistent.

Can I get some help please ?

5. Aligdev

Aligdev

Hi guys, I'm using CTS 2018 and I have a problem in my build. While albedo and normal compression format in CTS_Profile/Optimization Settings are set DXT5 (for Windows build) I have rendering problem, how can I fix this? Thank you.

Build version:
    2020-01-07_14-44-11.png

Unity Editor version:
    2020-01-07_14-49-41.png

6. BryanPW

BryanPW

Try to rebake the CTS profile and when finished before the build Disconnect the Profile. When the profile is disconnected then, make sure that your lighting is correct, the editor has different lighting then the game view.

7. BryanPW

BryanPW

Im looking into this! Will let you know as soon as possible! From what i'm seeing CTS is compatible, but there may be issues with CTS 2019 and Map Magic.

8. Aligdev

Aligdev

I just restored a backup and problem solved, thank you for your reply.

9. Shadowing

Shadowing

damn I have this problem too.

I'm using the latest version of CTS 2019 on Unity 2019.2.17.
    I lose 85fps when changing from Unity Shader to CTS Basic shader.
    Only thing running in my scene is my character controller. No vegetation or anything else.
    This makes CTS completely unusable.

10. BryanPW

BryanPW

https://forum.unity.com/threads/extremely-slow-editor-in-2019-2-0a7.640354/ Here is some information about this, more than likely there is a Unity Bug. Though it is explained in here.

11. Shadowing

Shadowing

Its very possible 2019.2.17 is a pretty buggy version. Waiting for thier update this week

12. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hi all!

I am wondering which texture slot does AO postfixed textures go?

Thanks in advance!!

13. BryanPW

BryanPW

Albedo is diffuse, without any lighting information baked into it.

It's sometimes referred to as "diffuse" in specular/gloss workflow, and albedo or "base color" in the metallic workflow.

In the unity 5 standard shader, it's called albedo in both spec/gloss and metallic.

Recon03 likes this.
  14. Enigma229

Enigma229

Just bought CTS and trying to use my World Creator terrain and splatmap but no luck.

Any ideas?

15. BryanPW

BryanPW

Per default, CTS takes the currently active splatmap from the terrain it is running on. So you can use any tool to create that splatmap and it should work. It is also possible to turn CTS in a persistent material and then assign it splat maps that are just textured in the asset hierarchy.

16. Binary42

Binary42

Hi, is the Update to 2019.3 / 7.1.8 scheduled yet?

17. BryanPW

BryanPW

We are still working on these updates! We will post here when it is completed!

18. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I am looking over all the assets I bought from Procedural Worlds and Nature Manufacture, and I never see this mentioned on any of them in the descriptions. Am I missing something? Perhaps it is hidden in some fine print somewhere?

These two companies should consider doing that, before some people round themselves up a lawyer, to teach them about honest business, and how it should be conducted.

The lack of warnings wouldn't be because they knew it would hurt sales if people knew they were about to be sucked into a subscription service if they wanted to keep, what many times is a massive Unity project, current?

I mean, yes, it would hurt sales, Of course it would. Because a lot of people would perhaps choose a different solution, one that doesn't charge constant upgrade fees. So of course letting customers know that once they spend, they have to keep spending, or stagnate their entire project for the sake of a few terrain assets, will hurt sales. Tough moral dilemma I see. Also a very nice indicator of intent. Perhaps it was just incompetence? "err... we just forgot to mention that part on our description page in the asset store. yeah, that's it... forgot"

Those of us who sank hundreds of dollars into these tow companies products got a nasty little surprise; Pay up, or your entire project stagnates.

VERY DISHONEST

I must say, it has come as quite a rude surprise to me to think that the people I gave hundreds of dollars to are now going to demand a hundred more, and maybe yet another $100 next year, and maybe another $100 the year after that. To think I defended them on a youtube video when people were calling these companies greedy.

Now I know why.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  19. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

This statement was almost four months ago!!

For four months now, people have been buying products from this company, and most of them have been completely unaware that they will be forced to pay upgrade fees, or forced to stall their entire Unity projects to keep using what they already paid for! Completely unaware!

This looks very, very, very dishonest, to say the least.

I would advise these two companies, 1) quickly rectify this dishonesty, and 2) Put this statement at the top of their Asset store descriptions, and not tucked away in tiny print at the bottom, and then let the customers decide if they want to involve themselves in such a business arrangement.

It is after all, what an honest business man would do. Take that as advice from someone who prides themselves as an honest businessman.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  20. barbodshahrabadi

barbodshahrabadi

Hi, I use CTS and it is really great but i have huge performance problems, i have a scene with only a terrain(1024 * 1024 with CTS) and Frame rate is 10! please tell me how can i improve my frame rate

Attached Files:

21. Kandy_Man

Kandy_Man

This is the reason I ended up not buying CTS, at least not right away. In order to make sure I don't get stuck on an old unsupported version I intend for CTS to be the last thing I purchase once the game is approaching completion and I know where I'm going to be in the Unity cycle. Unfortunately that means buying CTS at the end of every project to make sure I have a working version which leaves a bit of a sour taste to me.

Interestingly, the rest of the quote discussing pricing mentions that this pricing is required due to how much the render pipelines change at Unity over the course of a year. Once URP and HDRP stabilise will this yearly upgrade fee go away?

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can convert to mesh, ask yourself ,why do you need unity terrain components?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2020
  23. AJCodes

AJCodes

Did an install of the new version into an existing project today. I'm not seeing the "use hole" option anywhere...help?

It would probably help if I said I'm using the latest version of 2019.3 on a terrain that also has Veg Studio Pro on it. Tried all of the shaders - Basic, Advance, etc. and nothing. Using the built in pipeline.

In case anyone has the same problem...check what else you've attached to your terrain. I had a few things I dumped and one of them fixed it...don't know which although it wasn't veg studio pro. Also, it's the standard "use cutout" checkbox, not "use holes" (my very literal reading of the notes)...and don't forget to set the "cutout below" to a low number of you'll wonder where your terrain went :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  24. barbodshahrabadi

barbodshahrabadi

i want to change my terrain to mesh terrain and i cant find "Persist Material" in the optimization menu! can some one help me?

25. BryanPW

BryanPW

What are you using for your terrain and trees?

26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Really?

1. PW is dishonest. Actually no we are not!

We have stated in the forums for a long time now what we do and why we do it. If you go to our discord, you can see our upgrade policy, and its been there for ages. You pointed out that this was not also written on our asset pages in the asset store. This was not some deep state attempt to deceive, it was an edge case which you alerted us to, and which we have since rectified.

The reality is that the asset store is far from some endless pot of money for "greedy publishers" like us. If we instead chose to focus on the corporate world, we would do less hours, have more realistic targets instead of trying to support everything, be appreciated for the quality work we deliver instead of being subjected to defamatory and rude comments, and we would make a lot more money with a lot less stress.

Instead we choose to do this and we are super proud of the fact that we help indies to make their dreams come true. We bring pro tools to indies at indie prices, and I am absolutely not ashamed of what we do, or how we do it!

2. PW will charge 100's of additional $$. Again, simply not true!

I am really clear about what we charge. Expect to pay around 20% of the full purchase price for the next iteration for the next major version of Unity. On CTS this equates to around $15! Sometimes it will be more if we feel that we did something extra special, and sometimes we may not charge at all if there was not a lot of effort on our side to keep it going.

So, here is the painful reality for CTS. Unity changes. Regularly. And is buggy as heck. And to compound this, their pipelines change as well. This is builtin. LWRP, HDRP, and now UWP.

This breaks not only our software and shaders, but also everyone elses as well. Its an expensive and time intensive process to keep on top of it. A change to our software needs to be tested and checked against all major unity versions and then all pipelines.

Then, the first thing that people do when things break or do not act the way they expect is to come to us for support. We employ a guy full time just to help the community, and often the questions we answer have nothing to do with our products as they are instead Unity 101.

I do not work for free. My team does not work for free. Our support guy does work for free. We all have families and lives, and we need to be paid for our time. If we can not pay our bills, you can be sure that our wives will rearrange our priorities quick smart!

Even as a top publisher, the asset store more often than not does not cover the monthly cost of running the team. There is not some imaginary 'rich trove' of endless indies clamouring to buy our products. Your assets and the team behind them survive only because we also take on pro projects for big studios and enterprise.

The reality is that indies are by definition indies and their budgets are limited like ours. What we do is bring pro quality products to the community and we deliver man years of effort for less than what it would cost to engage a pro for even one hour of their time.

If this post sounds a bit frustrated then I guess it is. It would be awesome if you could take a moment to consider what I have said about what we do and why we do it. Your success is our success and we really do try very hard to help you and the community to succeed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Khyron99, ZimM, TeagansDad and 3 others like this.
  27. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

im glad you rectified it. if it wasnt "deep state conspiracy..." ..it was the out I gave you, incompetence due to moral hazard, and the out any lawyer would take. " I do not recall." " mistakes were made". Fine.

raise the prices on future customers if it is costing you so much to develop. lots of people are integrating hdrp and urp, knowing it will be essential to sell it in the future, without charging their current customers.

please stop saying you are working for free. you are working to create a product that you can sell in the future. plus, i paid $67 for gaia, $55 for cts, cant remember what i paid for path painter and gena.... and so far, i have used gaia for about 3 hours and cts for 10 minutes.
    I only once ever asked for "support", i asked if gaia could do random terrain generation.

and i never called you a " greedy publisher". i called you dishonest.

"rude" is taking hundreds of dollars from me, and claiming i should pay more to fund the future quality of your product so it doesnt get pushed over by a competitor that does support hdrp and urp. you are mad about words, when you have my cash. so sorry not sorry i said words. enjoy my cash.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  28. AJCodes

AJCodes

Wow. Just going to reply here because I have great respect for the PW folks. I've been buying their tools for years. And the upgrade policy has always been clear.

Hate that folks like Ne0mega might influence others but there it is...the nature of social media.

And to be clear, I'm writing this while part of CTS isn't working for me. Do I expect them to work for free? Provide support for free? Chase Unity design decision for free? Nope...that's not realistic...although maybe it's just Seattle :)

29. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

no it hasn't. it still isnt. read adams post. they dont know when or how much they'll charge for upgrade fees in future.

" sometimes it will be more if we feel..."

30. AJCodes

AJCodes

Why would I expect anyone, doing anything, to tell me what they will charge me in some unknown future? Let alone a team that is dependent on a completely *different* team's decisions? How is that rational?

Think about this from the perspective of another business. If you buy tires for your car, do you expect the tire company to give you new tires for your truck when you sell your car? Would you expect them to tell you what your truck tires will cost in two years when you sell your car?

slaczky, TeagansDad, Arkhham and 3 others like this.
  31. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

a tire company makes its money from selling tires.
    A tire company doesn't send out bills to people who have bought their tires before, telling them if they want to keep using them, they have to pay for the tire companies new vulkanization practices.

and we could go round and round with this. im really not intersted in trying to compare tires to asset store products, as they are not even remotely similar.

i am also not replying to you anymore, because your first post was in this thread, and after my posts. im not new to the interwebs.

32. AJCodes

AJCodes

Forum member since 2017. Never really needed to ask a question before...and honestly maybe I don't visit the forums enough but I've never seen such an undeserved crap attack on a developer.

Thanks for your answer - explains a lot.

slaczky, TeagansDad, S4G4N and 3 others like this.
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I upgraded JUST to to support the Developer..I'm not even using unity 2019..They did not get a vote when unity decided to 'Split' the rendering pipeline, and take 2 years to do it.

34. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hi, this option was replaced with the "Disconnect Material" button on the CTS component. Disconnecting the profile will:

• Create a persistent material in the Profiles\Material folder (-> this is then the material you could use on a replacement mesh that replaces the full unity terrain)
    • Create persistent copy of the terrain splatmaps in the Profiles\Splatmaps folder
    • Remove references to the CTS profile, normal, color map and cutout mask texture
    • Remove all splatmap prototypes / terrain layers from the terrain
    • Remove all splatmaps from the terrain data object

The process can be reversed by clicking "Reconnect Profile" afterwards.

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

In addition to Peter's comment, your personal message was about overall performance.

Hard to say without seeing your project but the following things can have an impact
    • Post FX - use sparingly
    • Scene density - spawn less stuff - the more you have the harder it is to render
    • Layer based camera culling - cull small stuff more aggressively than larger stuff
    • Multiple terrains - use streaming and terrain culling to limit what is in scene
    • CTS shaders - consider dropping back to basic or light to reduce their performance impact. There is documentation within CTS that talks about how to optimize for performance.
    • Drivers - make sure your GPU drivers are up to date - we have seen reports of issues with CTS that were resolved by updating drivers

When I am concerned about performance I use the profiler and build my scenes up until i can pinpoint the culprit. Performance gains are often made up of many things.

Here is a blog post that I wrote a long time ago - it is still relevant today : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/mobile-unity-scene-optimisation-with-gaia/

36. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

Hi sorry for asking, the question was probably asked before, but when do you plan the release the support HDRP for 2019.3? Its what my proect is currently running on and it would be really what i need currently.

Just a short answer with estimated release date would be enough

37. BryanPW

BryanPW

Version 2019.1.5(current)

Released: Mar 9, 2020

v2019.1.5 March 2020
    - Support for SRP 7.1.8 added. This release includes new URP/HDRP shaders that are compatible with SRP 7.1.8 and therefore CTS can be used in URP / HDRP under Unity 2019.3 now. The summary of supported SRP versions is:

SRP 4.8 in Unity 2018.3 & 2018.4
    SRP 5.7.2 in Unity 2019.1
    SRP 6.9.1 in Unity 2019.2
    SRP 7.1.8 in Unity 2019.3

We will continue to support higher Unity & SRP versions with future releases.

- Support for the unity terrain hole system added in Built-in and URP rendering. Activate the "use holes" feature in the CTS component to display terrain holes drawn with the terrain inspector. The original controls for holes in CTS still work so you can use them in addition to the hole painting system.

- Optimizations for Snow and Detail normal maps: If the snow and/or the detail normal map feature is not used, CTS will now remove those textures from the texture array to save memory.

- Fixed a bug where baking an array with the normal map resolution being higher than the albedo map resolution could result in an error.

- Fixed a bug where switching the hole texture back to "None" would not update the CTS material.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  38. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

Thanks didnt see that :D

39. unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

unity_8p6oRXXqiWbRTQ

I have a question: When importing cts, after i make a new default scene it completly brakes the lighting of the scene and the terrain is shaded completly black, is there any reasons for it on my side that i dont understand or why does it do that? It happens with other objects too, like planes. Im new to hdrp so maybe im missing something.

Im using unity 2019.3 with the hdrp renderpipeline.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it works fine on older scenes so i really dont understand why it does that.

Edit 2: I dont know if its a mistake on my part but here i s the solution: Do not create a scene from default but creeate a hd template scene. For some reason even if i add Sky + Fog and Post Process it still doesnt work for me, but this way it seems to work..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  40. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sounds good. If you need further assistance please let me know!

41. S4G4N

S4G4N

42. bfoddy

bfoddy

43. Velo222

Velo222

Hello,

I am using CTS 2019 and HDRP. I am getting "shadowy" square areas on my terrains whenever I enable Light Layers in my HDRP pipeline asset settings. This happened in previous versions as well. Does CTS currently not work with Light Layers in HDRP at the moment?

The dark/light areas change and flicker a lot in both the game view and the scene view, and especially when playing the game.

Here is a picture of my issue:
    CTS_LightLayer_Problem1.jpg

The "Sun" is out in this picture so the terrain is supposed to be all bright/lit like in the lighter squares. Is there a setting I could check to maybe fix it?

Thanks for any help.

44. BryanPW

BryanPW

Can you please check your quality settings and or send a screenshot so I may take a look. Also, see what your shadow settings are set to.

Kind Regards,
    Bryan

45. BryanPW

BryanPW

There is an issue with light layers, you will need to disable it. We are looking into this and seeing if we can come up with a solution.

46. Velo222

Velo222

Thank you BryanPW. There's no hurry for me fortunately. I'm just playing around with HDRP and settings right now. Thanks for looking at it.

47. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, I just upgraded to CTS 2019. Do I simply install it into current project that has CTS standard? Thanks.

48. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Hi, I purchased and upgraded my CTS last night and after install on one project (I have 2 projects with CTS) the terrain is red when you zoom close to the terrain. The red moves depending on the position.
    Red.jpg
    See image.

Heres a video of the same issue in action:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqCnWIL3cdjfgvEdLrd7SVbK8z_yXQ?e=tBNaVt

(Unity 2019.3.7, CTS 2019, Gaia 2019/Pro)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  49. retired

retired

50. ValWe

ValWe

Hi, I have a problem. At first, CTS worked perfectly. No issues. But then I created a new project. When I clicked "Create and Apply Profile", it shows "Ingesting Albedos" for ever. When I then try to edit the Profile there are a lot of errors. I am confused, because it worked before and now doesn't. I hope anyone can help me.
    I am using Unity version 2019.3.0f6

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020