Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This week we are focussing on performance and any bug fixing. Next week we will start working on our roadmap.

Roadmap so far:

• Weather update - per texture tint and wetness
    • Weather integrations - with Enviro (done), Tenkoku, UniStorm, WeatherMaker, Genesis
    • Transparent terrain - allows you to see into your cave systems - you will still need to manage colliders
    • Color map - add more interest through colourization
    • POM - fake tesselation
    • Water & Snow at same time (currently mutually exclusive)
    • Water Wetness - wet patch above your water
    • Gaia integration and & Gaia compatible profiles
    • Snow optimizations
    • Mesh support
    We plan to release this update in a few weeks after the existing release has stabilised. It ought to keep people pretty happy :)

Some people have asked about mesh blending etc - Bart will modify dynamic nature to work with CTS and you can get it that way.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

And for those who are interested in testing CTS for yourselves here is a sample scene for a windows machine. I generated it with 2017.1.f1 - so its coming out of a beta copy of Unity.

Its a relatively light weight Gaia scene with the basic shader on it, and also a Post FX treatment that can be toggled on and off. I have not particularly optimised the scene from Gaia its just a Gaia dump.

There have been a bunch of people comparing the speed of CTS to this and that shader. IMHO, these comparisons are largely irrelevant as each shader is different and has its own special powers.

Additionally, they will change from release to release as the authors try new things. What Bart sent me last night performs differently to what he sent me the previous day.

Ours is that it is profile based, easy to use, and pretty. It's also just a few days old, and we plan to improve it over time as we get feedback from the community.

Please feel free to PM me with any feedback or suggestions you have.

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/cts/demos/

3. ranaUK

ranaUK

Hi Adam, loving the look of my new terrains; and it feels faster in VR than it was before; a quick suggestion though: to share large assets between projects, I use junctions; as CTS is saving everything within CTS folder itself, it get's rather messy. Can we have a configuration somewhere to dictate where profile + replacement textures should go.
    thanks again.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Oh cool - glad you are enjoying it. That's a nice idea and will add it the road map. You can also just move things, and then next time it bakes etc they will stay in place. File management in unity can be quite a headache.

TeagansDad likes this.
  5. jimburn

jimburn

Hi Adam.I just purchased last month Megasplat and it is not working for my game (too many issues)... are you going to make a special upgrade for Megasplat users, there are many of them...

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  6. Freznosis

Freznosis

I was looking for a terrain shader to help take my scene to the next level and I was conflicted between RTP and CTS. I was going to ask about transparent holes for terrains as this is something I definitely need, however mesh blending is also something I need. Personally, I do not want to have to buy another asset I most likely won't use just to get mesh blending when the other option does it for me. I just feel like this feature could be added to your shader setup no problem as Bart has mentioned the possibility to do it earlier in the thread. Maybe you guys will rethink this decision in the future, I will be keeping an eye out in the meantime. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's not actually possible for us to do that. Perhaps you would be better getting some help from Jason? From what i have seen and heard he is very responsive.

ZoneOfTanks, GuinUK, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  8. blitzvb

blitzvb

nice roadmap. I cannot wait for all those improvements.

However, it's too bad that I cannot use it yet because I need mesh support and ultimately AT 2 support. roughly do you think that will happens in the next 4 months?

9. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Mesh support is 2 min but you will not be able to edit it after that - you will use only material.

10. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

can you unpack this comment a little bit^

11. blitzvb

blitzvb

same here. does that mean no snow/water/seasons ?

12. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I mean I could generate mesh support in less then 2 min - shader version. You will be able to create material for mesh and that all. Drag and drop into mesh. You will be not able to paint it or something or hmm you do.
    1) Paint terrain apply cts
    2) Generate materials
    3) export your terrain as mesh and apply our material with model version
    4) If you want to update terrain you will have to repeat this steps

Functionality will be holded in 100%. Is that what you need?

blitzvb likes this.
  13. blitzvb

blitzvb

Personally I was not expecting to modify the terrain mesh. I believe it's outside the scope of CTS.

And FYI my planned workflow is as follow :

- world creator export to mesh and texture (sorry @AdamGoodrich ;))
    - Substance designer for enhancement of texture and details.
    - Apply CTS shader to the mesh.
    - Gena for vegetation ;)

And I would be able to enjoy the CTS beautiful shader and enjoy snow/water RT modification ...

buttmatrix and AdamGoodrich like this.
  14. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I can easily support this

15. blitzvb

blitzvb

awesome!

16. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    Sorry for the question but i'm confused with the 16 textures available in CTS. Is it 4 splat textures combined with albedo height normal and ...to give 16? Or can we add up to 8 splat texture combined with normals give 16, Or ....Sorry if it sounds stupid..... I just wanna know how many different textures i can paint with? hope you understand....
    Btw, Congrats Nature_Manufacture and many thanks for this tool you brought to the community

17. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

16 texture sets + 4 splat mask + snow set + Global normalmap + Geo layer so:
    16 x AO x AlbedoSM x Normal x Height =64 +4 +5+1+1= 75 atm:)

Mark_01 likes this.
  18. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

@NatureManufacture This is verbatim what I was curious about. Glad to hear it should be a manageable update(!)

19. eaque

eaque

Many thanks for your prompt answer!!:):):) You made my day!!
    ...Oh my god! Hope tonight i will finally have time to play with it on Unity 5.5.4!
    i can't wait!!!!!

20. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

The link just seems to say coming soon with no download link. :)

21. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Along with that basic mesh support.... Would it be possible to export a composited texture for the entire tile as a super high rez image set? That way it could be attached to the exported mesh, assigned an AT2 compatible shader... And we've an AT2 supporting workflow without implicit support in CTS being required.

22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Btw... we have been spending a lot of time exploring performance.
    Yep - We did a bunch of testing because we want to compare apples with apples - and the FPS script we were using was an old one from the asset store that doesn't reflect reality. We checked the application against what NVidia was showing and it was quite different.

So then we found a another FPS script that was actually accurate, as verified against NVidia and have integrated it into our system. We will make a demo available tomorrow with much more realistic performance.

Interestingly whats reported in the Unity editor seems to be wildly inaccurate at higher frame rates.

Dwight_Everhart likes this.
  23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

As we close with amplify we have few ideas about streaming but it's to early now to talk about this.

Ninlilizi likes this.
  24. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Are you saying your CTS shader isn't good for large worlds? Only small worlds?

25. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I've got it running on a 64^km map as of today... Seems to handle large well enough, provided you've the hardware to edit at that scale. Just without streaming support you need a lot of RAM to work with it. I'm pushing 128GB for instance to do so.

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  26. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

You must have a Nasa PC :D 128gb ram :O

S4G4N likes this.
  27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nice! :)

If you bake for build this will remove the profiles and substitute place holder texture... which will reduce runtime memory.

28. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

yesh, which is why I asked the earlier question about what it did. Because I was hoping for exactly that. ^_^

29. one_one

one_one

So that means mesh-terrain blending is only supported for dynamic nature users?

30. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Right now it seems so and thats Barts focus which is ok.
    But I still hope it will come with CTS after the features of the current Roadmap have beed implemented. The listed features in the roadmap are far more important for me than Mesh Terrain Blending.
    But well for me it does not make sense buying CTS and paying 50€ only for mesh terrain blending feature using Dynamic Nature. So hope never dies ;)

P.S: Gonna buy CTS this weekend. Can not wait to play with it and see what it has to offer.

Vondox and one_one like this.
  31. Hormic

Hormic

Great asset, i'm looking forward to the weather maker integration.

32. Teila

Teila

Certainly it is okay but I hope that it will allow meshing blending with other tools that Dynamic Nature. That is a great tool, but not all of us need it for simply mesh blending. Will Vertex Pro work with CTS? I use that to blend meshes and will be sad if I have to replace everything we have done with yet again another shader.

one_one likes this.
  33. Kusras

Kusras

Well I will soon buy any terrain asset I was decided to buy RTP, but now I found this one, I know both will have its + and -. I see you have 16 textures vs their 8, quite similiar features... Anyone who has experience with both to help me decide which shall i go in?

Thanks

34. runningbird

runningbird

TRANSPARENT HOLES!!!!! OMG you rock.

I've been waiting for a good solution for doing this and was wondering if the CTS would.

Can't wait

S4G4N likes this.
  35. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Well, I am impressed! I've been playing with it for a whole day. It looks extremely good, especially with atmospheric scattering. I am really concerned about performance, though. I know that you are optimizing it, but still... 1800 fps on Unity terrain and 25 fps on advanced CTS... That's pretty enormous. I've been getting 180 fps by using Colormap V3 from forst with the same terrain. Are there any tips at setting it up to be faster for the time being?

buttmatrix likes this.
  36. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Right now it does not make sense to compare RTP with CTS. RTP does only come with 8 textures max at the moment and this will change with RTP v4 which will probably cost a little update price. CTS already supports 16 textures.
    As it stants RTP is faster in performance, where CTS is improving with upcoming updates.
    So it really depends what you need in what time. Do you have time to decide? Than wait for RTP v4 and new versions of CTS and compare both then. If you don't have time you need to answer the questions:
    How many textures do I need right now and how important is performance for me?
    What features are mandatory for me and do I need ASAP?
    Nobody knows when RTPv4 will be released so I can't tell you how long you will have to wait for more texture option... Btw if you are new to shaders and you like it simple you really should consider CTS.

As you can see some posts above the new version will fix and increase performance. Are you using SSR? Take a look to the Post Effects of Unity and disable it if your are using it.
    I don't own CTS yet but as you can see a new version is coming up and Adam has post the problem of using SSR.

Cheers
    Ronny

S4G4N likes this.
  37. S4G4N

S4G4N

Also in Unity, the v-sinc option unchecked gives a HUGE amount of extra frames

RonnyDance likes this.
  38. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Even with just the basic shader it looks awesome and the extra fps it gives made me choose cts to use for my project :). With Adams and Barts XP things can only get better! :D

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I've just optimised basic shader by 35%. Haven't finished yet but tommorow it will be it's last optimisation. Then Advanced and tess:). I really must back to other packs after this. 1 week with them and I will start adding new features to cts.

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This was extremely dumb mistake of ours. The numbers are not realistic at all. Grab latest download and you will see substantial improvement. Or for an immediate one just turn off SSR. Reflection probe setup was also not great.

Additionally, we have been optimising shader like crazy and getting good improvements. We will push this out in a few days after it's been stabilised and tested.

Kolyasisan, buttmatrix, Teila and 4 others like this.
  41. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

There has been some discussion on mesh blending.

We have talked about it, and decided to add it to the road map - however it is not a trivial thing to add - and will take some time to do.

We will most likely also raise the eventual target price of CTS to reflect the complexity and time that will be involved.

one_one, Teila and RonnyDance like this.
  42. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks so much. Take all the time you need and concentrate on your planned roadmap. So happy to see that important features are added to CTS and you take feedback and suggestions seriously. Well I didn't expect nothing less from Adam and Bart. :)

Thanks guys

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    one_one, Teila and AdamGoodrich like this.
  43. ranaUK

ranaUK

Question about Building:

Hi Adam, I have two backgrounds that uses terrain and CTS; all my backgrounds are prefab and loaded on demand - ie. my main scene has no terrain object.

With this setup, I get the following error on build:

Shader error in 'CTS Terrain Shader Advanced LOD': unrecognized identifier 'UNITY_DECLARE_TEX2DARRAY' at line 317 (on d3d9)

If I use "Package CTS for build", a new gameObject (CTS.CTSTerrainManager) gets created to the scene; but I get the same error at the end.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    Rana

44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah this is a weird thing and am not sure whats causing it. There isn't really any guidance around the place for how to do this.

A couple of options - removing dx9 from your build targets remove it - or alternatively - just bake - pack - save scene - build and it goes away.

This is why I am confused - the error makes no sense to me - suspect it is a Unity bug.

FYI, as far as I can tell, despite the compiler error, it still works just fine at runtime.

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

IIRC - Texture Arrays are Shader Model 4, only supported on DX10+

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I think we probably need to add some sort of warning for DX9 based systems.

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

Looking at the docs, it appears Unity only supports them in DX11 (among others):

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-TextureArrays.html

However, like most Unity documentation, it's a bit confusing, as it also says you can use Shader Model 3.5 a little later:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-ShaderCompileTargets.html

edit: maybe not so confusing, as I forget there is no DX10 specific Unity Rendering engine. :)

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

There is so much that is unsaid or assumed in the Unity doco. Its a pity they don't open source the code base - then we could dig in and work out exactly how to do it right - or alternatively - give their engineers meaningful bug reports.

49. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

I was using another terrain system religiously before, and I just recently picked up Gaia. To say I'm impressed with it would be to understate by a landslide. Because of your excellent product and my experience with it, I just bought CTS without even thinking twice. I'm more than happy to support developers that truly deserve it, and I look forward to my time with both Gaia and CTS. Thank you!

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thank you! This is my first collaboration with another publisher and I am very proud of what we have come up with - it is better than either of us would have done individually i think.

We look forward to hopefully delivering and expanding on a similarly excellent experience with CTS :)

RobsonFMaciel, S4G4N and Gunsrequiem like this.