Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Vastly different environments - one is relatively small - the other is a 25 terrain tile scene - quite a monstor.

I am making a moditication to the demo that will enable you to see the impact of changes to shaders / profiles etc and it will be up relatively soon.

Teila and buttmatrix like this.
  2. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

3. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Can I suggest a downloadable executable build so that people can check performance on their machines before buying?

4. Harekelas

Harekelas

Very impressive and interested! I'm using MapMagic to generate terrain tiles in runtime, and always looking for a nice terrain shader for my game (Currently using a very simple height blend shader), CTS seems like the best solution for me. But I have some questions to ask first:
    1. Does CTS compatible with MapMagic or intended to integrate with it? As MM generates terrain tiles in runtime so any manipulations within editor will be tricky. I haven't seen any tutorial vids of using CTS for real, so not exactly sure how it would work, need some hints of this aspect.
    2. As MapMagic won't add unused textures to a terrain tile, the generated terrain tiles will have different textures or a different number of textures. Does CTS process terrain textures for each terrain tile separately or else?
    3. I see that Chingwa, the author of Tenkoku is very interested in CTS and I'm a Tenkoku user as well, very excited if you can integrate with Tenkoku!
    4. About the texture limits, CTS can support 16 textures in one pass, that's great! And what will happen if I use more than 16 texture?(very unlikely in one terrain tile though ;)) Will it be an add-pass or the exceeded textures just won't show up?
    5. About the trailers up there. Which other assets have you used to create the scene in your trailer? I assume Gaia is one of them, but I'm very interested in the clouds in the 2nd vid, it looks voxel and realistic. Which asset is that?

Dwight_Everhart likes this.
  5. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Enviro Weather System :)

blitzvb, S4G4N and Harekelas like this.
  6. Harekelas

Harekelas

Thanks for the info! I bought Enviro before, but still using Tenkoku for its great lighting quality ;)

S4G4N likes this.
  7. Hitch42

Hitch42

Day-1 buy for me, just like GeNa. I appreciate how your assets have great functionality combined with ease-of-use. Looking forward to seeing some of your tutorial videos.

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I also reconfigured the swamp scene - now pushing 900+ fps on my system. No changes to shader - there were a range of issues with our demos from excessive light probes, to SSR, to textures being too 'fat'.

My system is quite powerful so i never saw it in the demos and as they came together on the last day my system chewed thru it with no issues. New demo's up soon, and it will be interesting to see how it works for the people who were having issues initially. Our apologies for that.

That said - anyone attempting tesselation on integrated graphics is always going to have a very poor result. If you want to target lower end systems then you need to be using our basic shader. You still get a remarkable improvement in look, at about the same cost as the unity terrain shader.

In the mean time Bart is optimizing the shader and i have already seen a 20% increase in the tesselation performance. He is amazing so I am sure we will see some increases there in the next few days as well.

The first set of video's have been recorded and are waiting for upload.

This is a good idea - we will put something together.

I don't see this as being an issue as its very simple. I don't own MapMagic, but if the author wants contact me then I am sure we can get something going.

The idea would be to generate your profile to suite what you are putting them on. You can mix multiple profiles in a scene.

We limited it to 16 textures so that it worked seamlessly with standard unity work flow. We have no plans to change this at this point. When you add in geo, snow, detail etc and mix it all up, this gives you a huge amount of variety.

Yep - its on its way.

Videos composed with Pegasus, weather is Enviro, water is Playway or Suimono, and in latest Aquas.

Thanks. We are really excited about this and have great plans for it.

9. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

^there is no better support on the asset store, awesome stuff @AdamGoodrich

10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone - here is the first of the "How To" videos.

In this video I talk you through how to set up and run the demo's. You will also get a sense of the performance of the new demo's. They should be live on the asset store soon along with the first few bug fixes.

11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Tesselation just have been improved by 100%, other shaders we will see at the end of this day. Im still finishing performance from day to day:)

12. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I'm using Unity 5.6.2 here... I don't have a CTS menu under components. No compiler errors were logged at import. Ideas?

13. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

This is from a test I just done, I'm using 4x4 terrains 16 total 1024 x 1024 and 750 height, using 8 splat textures(for RTP i'm using 8 textures in two passes).

Basic Runs really fast even faster than unity basic in this test, but seems to be something with advanced which goes down between 40 - 70 fps. The CPU render ms goes from 1.5/1.7 to 5.4

Unity https://ibb.co/nmWGA5

Basic https://ibb.co/kBqXiQ

Advanced https://ibb.co/kCcpV5

RTP https://ibb.co/cjusiQ

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Dwight_Everhart and buttmatrix like this.
  14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

And here is a beginning to end setup on a Gaia terrain. Its just a quick setup but should give you a sense of how it works:

By the way, I have mentioned Gaia obviously because I know it very deeply, but this will work just as easily with any other system that shapes or uses standard Unity terrain.

15. Harekelas

Harekelas

Great to hear from you! And also the tutorial vids!
    Will check out how this works. :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nope. If it can compile then you should be able to see it.

17. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Hi Gang, I just wanted to show you what I have been capable to create with CTS, Vegetation System Beta and Gaia.
    In addition this scene is un-optimized and I am getting 50-60fps in a 4km square terrain.

18. AlexandreCall

AlexandreCall

Hi,

Congratulations for this quality asset.

I am currently a user of "RTP" but I really would like to use your asset; But the absence of parallax makes me still hesitate. Could I know how long this feature will be available?

19. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Vegetation System Beta? Can you give details?

20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's on our roadmap - and will come in the next big shader update. Its not a big deal to implement.

21. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, after more testing I found if I start the scene with advanced the fps is really low but if I start with basic and switch to advanced then the fps is fine.

Also I'm wondering if I add more textures to the terrain the profile doesn't pick them up and the textures get removed from the terrain unless I paint with them first, but even then the profile doesn't pick them up and have to create a new profile and adjust settings again.

Thanx :D Really nice shader btw.

22. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

23. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Reimporting fixed it. All good now. ^_^

24. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I really optimised it alot today huge boost for tesselation and advanced shader.I hope tommorow Adam will upload another version:)

Mark_01, blitzvb and llJIMBOBll like this.
  25. eaque

eaque

Congrats Adam for this release, guees i'll buy it tonight as soon as i get home!! Really amazing! Everybody thank you and Nature_Manufacture for that. We accept the delay for Gaia2 with pleasure:p when we see what you have done for Unity!! It's gonna be a great summer for the indies!!!:cool:

26. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

Congratulations Adam and Bart with the release of CTS. I've made a few first images with Tenkoku, Suimono, SpeedTree desktop and Unity Post Processing. I love the geo effect and it took me only a few minutes (+watching the video Adam posted above)!

upload_2017-6-27_15-20-59.png

upload_2017-6-27_15-21-22.png

upload_2017-6-27_15-21-52.png

27. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

BTW, noticing the mention of Amplify Creations in your credits for this... Does that mean out the box support for AT2 is coming?

blitzvb likes this.
  28. runningbird

runningbird

Just purchased!! Another amazing tool from the great Adam Goodrich.
    Keep up the awesome work

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  29. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Goodgulf likes this.
  30. mk1978

mk1978

Is there a way add a kind of global dirtmap in CTS? Or what would be the best way to get more variation/dirt to the terrain textures in large areas?

31. mons00n

mons00n

I imagine you could use the snow cover as a sort of "dust" via changing the color.

32. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You could use snow as water snow or dirt. This is just automatic cover which you could set as you want:)

33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Not just two developers but a tool created by two responsive developers. Both Adam and Bart have always been responsive. To have the two of them working together is awesome! Keep up the great work guys!!!

AdamGoodrich and Goodgulf like this.
  34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

WOW! Gorgeous terrains!!

AdamGoodrich and pixelsteam like this.
  35. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks forthe tips! I will do some testing once I have had a chance to spend some time with CTS documentation.

36. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Adam, CTS can include my Sat photo textures?

37. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

Here is my feedback after the latest update was downloaded CTS v1.0.1

Unity Shader - 1225.1 fps

CTS BASIC - 1180.9 fps

Cheers
    Cobus

38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It can use any texture - even substances. Are you asking about colour maps ? We will add colour map in the first major shader update.

Nice idea.

I think colour map will handle this. We have optimised performance for lower end cards. Once we are happy with that we will work at adding more features.

39. magique

magique

Something seems very wrong in that video performance-wise. The fps value is jumping around like crazy. I can see it jump from 200s to 500s back and forth constantly. And the camera is not moving nor anything else going on. You should be getting a steady frame rate with very little fluctuation. Specifically in the tessellated one.

RobsonFMaciel and buttmatrix like this.
  40. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

He's running a gtx 1070, and probably getting throttled on the CPU with a bunch of gfx.waitforpresent calls. If he doesn't have V-sync enabled, he might actually be making too much frame rate(?)

S4G4N likes this.
  41. magique

magique

Maybe. Just seemed weird to me.

buttmatrix likes this.
  42. S4G4N

S4G4N

I am running a 1080, V-sync disabled and getting the suggested behavior and the screenshots you can see couple of posts up

buttmatrix likes this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Am wondering if a CTS owner with a lower end card would like to test the latest shader changes ?

They are ready to go, but hard for me to test on my desktop as it is already screaming along. Please PM me.

44. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I've got both a GTX760 and 1060 in my rig.... So I'm able to do some comparative testing if the 760 is low-end enough for you?

45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I got 760gt (with low memory ) and got very good performance.

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gotta keep these shader dudes honest!! :)

47. bigmonkgames

bigmonkgames

Do you guys have a hardware spec for Tesselation?

Here is my benchmarks with the Swamp Demo with a Player added to run around. *My GPU is obviously the bottleneck but Advanced is usable.

CPU: i7 3770k 3.5 GHZ
    8GB RAM
    GPU: GeForce GTX 550TI
    Resolution: 1360X768
    Rendereing: Fastest
    Framerates

Unity 180 - 220
    Basic 80 -100
    Advanced 22 - 30
    Tesselated 10 - 18

48. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

So what exactly does Package for build actually do, proceduraly wise?

49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The terrain material already has everything Unity needs, and everything else is baggage.

So CTS replaces the terrain textures with small place holders, and disconnects the profile.

This results in a runtime memory reduction - the saving increases the more textures you have in your scene.

To reverse it - just select your profile and apply it.

NOTE : I am getting a weird issue where some times Unity reports error at build. I can't see any run-time issue as it seems to work anyway - but to get around it - hit bake textures just before you make a run-time build.

50. mk1978

mk1978

It would be great to have this colour map functionality. This has been working great in my case when using RTP. The snow functionality could also be really interesting way to add dirt in grass and sand textures.