Search Unity

Games Cs Drive

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ciorbyn, May 27, 2020.

1. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

After years of developing browser games, I decided to develop a standalone game for PC by using the High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP).

Here are some tests:

The game features have already been developed,
    now I'm focusing on improving the graphics to have the best realism / performance compromise.

Not really being an expert with the HD Render Pipeline I encountered various difficulties ranging from unsatisfactory graphic results to various compilation problems.

At the moment I am still studying and making various progressive improvements, so if you have criticisms or suggestions to make, they are welcome.

cs747 likes this.
  2. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

Today I decided to do some tests and see with an eye the yield / performance differences between the HD RP 4.9 (Unity 2018.4) and HD RP 7.18 (Unity 2019.3)

In both cases I have not pumped the graphics to the maximum, in fact as you can see I have kept the MSAA and TAA medium / low parameters.

120 fps Unity_Automotive_HDRP_4.9.png

100 fps
    Unity_Automotive_HDRP_7.18.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  3. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

However, the effect that can be obtained with the Standard built-in pipeline is also incredible.

In this test I used only post processing and 4 directional lights with different angles of which only one generates shadows.

Now the project travels on 220 fps and the quality / performance ratio is much more balanced.

Unity_built-in pipeline.png

At this point I wonder how much it is convenient to use HDRP in games, in addition to the fact that all the tested versions (4.9, 7.18, 7.2, 7.3.1) have given me incredible troubles with the terrain that only supports 8 levels, then every now and then something breaks and before understanding the problem you have moved so many parameters that you have to redo the project from scratch.

Not to mention all the problems of incompatibility between the various HD SRPs if you want to update unity.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Mihai77 likes this.
  4. ciorbyn

ciorbyn

And here's how I adjusted the game scene with standard shaders and some tricks.

Cs Drive Unity game shelby cobra.png

Cs Drive Unity game shelby cobra built in pipeline.png

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. ciorbyn

ciorbyn