Search Unity

CryTek helps out Teenagers!...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benopaluz, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

This doesn't belong in showcase but i had to "show it off" . Im not one to normally show peoples names and humiliate them but i just laughed so hard this morning and i HAD to show it to the community. Just click the picture and.. well you tell me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. Artimese

Artimese

3. andorov

andorov

The internet is a cruel place.

4. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Colder and crueller than a playground full of girls laughing at you because you tripped over and your pants fell down, exposing your most private world to them ALL.

Merciless and unforgiving, the internet is populated by trolls on every corner, waiting.... watching.... for the teen daring to be creative. Shoot him down! expose him! humiliate him so that he will only EVER feel he is good enough to work in mcdonalds.

On a more serious note

Pretty tired of the kiddy-bashing going on. I was quietly impressed by that kid's efforts with the light saber effect, the desktop halo stuff. That is a young man putting effort and creativity out there. If my son does that kind of stuff when he is older, I will be proud as anything.

Whats wrong is when a teen feels he has to make up a fake company name to be taken seriously and lie about contracts with crytek. Thats him feeling like he wants to be taken seriously - and it is something I hope he can learn from. All these kids... you will be taken seriously regardless if you are 14 or 40 - if you can prove you can make and finish a game.

While I understand the need to humiliate him and he was stupid for making stuff up, I don't and won't ever condone behaviour that says they can't be better, that they can't try to make it. I want to see every kid give 100% - because I've known 14 year olds who have gone from being zero to hero many years later cos they stuck it out.

Back then though, there wasn't forums like unity putting them down every step of the way. So any kids reading this - wake up, stop lying, stop faking crap and just finish your game. Doors magically open and people listen to you if you just finish stuff. Pretending to be a company doesn't impress anyone because we all know better.

6. bgivenb

bgivenb

lol

@hippocoder: I agree, and I know a there are a few talented young devs here who will have very bright employment opportunities in the future because of the support they received here.

7. wingedfox123

wingedfox123

$dont feed the troll.jpg i feel the need to post this.. (im not trying to troll the SStudio person)

8. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

Hay i was hardly trolling at the kid, im showing how low kids are going these days. Telling lies is hardly something to be proud of.

9. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I don't get why he made stuff up, I just.. don't see the point :/ Hopefully he has learnt anyway, Things can only get better for him I suppose.

Dont like the idea that someone my age is just getting slaughtered by trolls tho, Id hate that.

10. MCHammond

MCHammond

Its not an age thing its a professionalism/experience/knowledge thing. That said those are things you get as you get older "or at least you should".

There is nothing stoping a 24 year old graduate behaving in the same way "I know, I have seen it"!

A 17/18 year old is technicaly out of school and looking for work unless they are going on to "further education". so from that point of view he might be starting out, and needs to learn how he should behave and what he can and can not do.

I have no problem with someone who has finnished there GCSE's working at a till in Tesco's the same way i have no problems with someone that age working in the games industy.

11. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1, I'm 15 and my age has stopped me quite drastically lately with lots of business offers.. A lot of the time I need to get my 18 year old sister to be my co-signer.. Which is very annoying especially if she blackmails me with it on NDA contracts, haha.

Age sucks

Edit: Finished my last GCSE finally today ^_^ Was surprisingly easy.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Thats pretty much a legal thing, and not your fault. I wouldn't personally actually sign any contract with anyone under the age of 18, because there is a statistically higher likelihood that they are in a more stable position to answer for themselves (ie parent doesn't confiscate computer or exams come up).

Your work is good, but you'll be as old as me quicker than you can blink and wishing you were young soon enough so don't worry much about being young :p

13. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Your like the dad everyone should have haha :') I like being young, But it is just annoying when laws stop me from doing things, Hopefully (fingers crossed) ill be over in Canada in a few years time.. That's my aim anyway, I also hope by then my skills develop enough so im as good as all them 28-35 year old. next 3months are going to be major work time because I have no school and don't start college till August-September..

The good thing is I still have a decent social life so im quite happy with how things are going.

14. Artimese

Artimese

Sign a contract with an 18 year old? thats still pushing it :p Age still plays a huge roll, theres a fine line and usually immaturity is one factor which is why the younger always get flammed at in the darkest places of the internet.....

15. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I think im fairly mature business wise 'for my age' but yeah legally my sister can be my co-signer so I can get into business contracts

16. Artimese

Artimese

Yeah you seem like the type that understands all that stuff. Even with the contract thing, i mean there has to be solid information put on the table, you cant just say "hey im 18, I have a lot of experience with unreal engine, cry engine, unity engine, etc etc." Theres gotta be some juice to back up your argument, otherwise why do i want to sign a contract with you? How can you persuade me to join you to get something accomplished? And all those questions are brought to my mind. You should have the attitude of keeping your hand away from signing something you should not. This actually reminds me of this scam that happened a few months ago, signing a form that gets you into a 5 year contract with your water heater dishing out thousands of dollars! :O

17. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Yeah, Its better to contract with someone with a good friendley bond rather then 'I do this, lets sign' imho, And that water heater scam sounds harsh, Its why you should read the contract haha.

18. Artimese

Artimese

Indeed, however I was never obligated to sign it, you had to be 18 I believe, I'm just shy of 18 in 2 months ^^

19. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Party hard haha

20. jesseoffy

jesseoffy

Charliesamways: make your games and projects, mass store them, turn 18, mass sell them. :D You're not the only one who is sometimes annoyed by the age-factor. But then, on the other hand, these years are our tax-free years. :) Good luck with your ventures.

21. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

@Hippocoder

You said it man! I totally agree.

I admire this kid being pretty productive in making lightsabre videos and some mods. BUT the way he approach the op seems to indicate he is trying to defraud the op of his hardwork if he is ever to join. I will bet the kid does not have the capability to finish any kind of the game - let along publishing it. The exchange just strikes me as the kid wants to get a hold of op's work, most likely rip it off him or taking credit for something he didn't do. The kid is going to be a online scammer from the look of it. I remember a few years back there was a 13 years old British kid who pretend to sell plasma TV and defrauded over thousands of people and netted him over several million dollars until he got caught. This kid could very well ended up like that.

So, while I agree the bashing seems cruel, I do think bashing needs to be done "tastefully" - the kid needs to know why he is being ridiculed - and not ended up on the wrong side of the law few years down the track, at the same time also not to give him clue to become a better scammer.

22. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Reading the exchange a second time, it got me thinking. What is with the current culture that most kids these days think this way?? It just strikes me the exchange is like something I have seen a million times on gamedev.net - those 13 year olds with MMO dream looking for professional coders/artists/musician/level designers/scripters to help them complete their dream while they are the "team leader and "idea generator"......

Is it because of the technology we can afford to have now that made them this way? Is it the culture of "instant gratification"?? What about patience and hardwork??

I remember back in the day (I hear ya said..."OMG NO!!") - in the 90s when teenagers were coding rasterizers in DOS using ASM for 3D demos... (I am sure quite a few Unity's own programmers are from the demo scenes), some truely innovative and real-time CG techniques were invented back then, by teenagers some as young as 13 (or younger). Nowadays it seems demo parties are just big LAN parties for games. Few of this generation ever invested into real coding even when reference materials are readily available online and offline (compare to 90s when you can't get it.. you just have to invent it).

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

When I was a teen there wasn't any internet whatsoever for the public, not even a basic isp. You could use a dial up and telephone line to connect directly to others but the www as we know it today, didn't exist. It only existed for universities and so on.

I think the internet is a two-edged sword for today's youth. In one respect it lets a child lie, the child can try and become a pretend company and fool people, just like kids of my day, would have forged fake ID to try and get in a pub or whatever. Its a kid thing. But because of the internet, its fairly dangerous as it is easy to take it too far.

On the other hand the internet is an explosion of information and empowers a somewhat geeky and dorky kid to try and learn and get somewhere beyond what his jock buddies are doing.

So long as everyone clearly points out to kids with fake companies that they aren't doing themselves any favours, and keeping it real is the best bet for him and everyone else, I see no harm coming from encouraging tommorrow's game developers from exercising their full potential.

24. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Well hey, as someone who could write better than most 20-year-olds at the age of 13 and used those writing skills to gain a news reporter (now reviewer) position at InsideMacGames...... I fully believe that there's still hope for the youngsters. Just don't lie when people ask you questions.

In this particular case, it did entirely smack of a scam, though.

25. Hardcharger

Hardcharger

That was funny.

26. Mayple

Mayple

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum but as an experienced web programmer I see this thing all the time in the world of PHP/ASP and forum talk. Some youngster feels he needs to reach out and say hes inventing the next face book and has a multi-million dollar contract and I should program for him etc etc.

Honestly, I look at these and I feel bad. I remember when I was just starting out in web programming. I am just starting out in Unity Programming and well you will see how that goes (haha), but seriously when I was starting out on web programming I chatted around in MirC showing off what I had done. Back in the day of DHTMl and VML making my first firework come on screen or a sliding menu on the left was a huge feat for me. Mind you people have seen it done all day long, but the moment that I did it, it was like giving birth.

A lesson to all the youngsters trying something out, starting out new sucks, but its a good thing. You would be suprised how me drawing a circle with a smiley face with all generated content from me will get lauded applauses vs your photoshopped check for 1.3million dollars. When you try, and others see you trying you develop a unique following of people that are excited to see you strive and see what you will create next. I personally have watched some artists on Newgrounds.com go from 12fps animation stick figures 9 years ago, to fully animated cartoons on the web using the same utilities. Every day I look at friends I have programmed with and made over the internet and praise them for even the smallest accomplishment. Mainly becase, we have all been there.

TL;DR, people will reward you for making pong. people will not reward you for stealing pong and renaming it paddle ball.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

28. Laypoof

Laypoof

Those are some true, noble words my friend, you earned my respect from now on.

29. jackshiels

jackshiels

Haha, I joined IMG writers at 14... small world :p

BTW I hate that site now... so outdated and generally full of hierarchical trolls.

30. Aron

Aron

He may be getting way ahead of himself and what he can deliver, but props to him for trying at least.

31. returnString

returnString

If being associated with Crytek makes you cool, I need to get a badge or something.

Excellent post from hippocoder there as well. :)

32. faultymoose

faultymoose

On maturity: I find that as I grow older, I have roughly 5 year revelations of insight where I realise that 5 years ago I was still a hopeless child (albeit greying and wrinkling up around the face) full of romantic notions and too naive by far. Then for the next 5 years I feel pretty much at the forefront of my emotional maturity.

And then I have another revelation.

At 16, it's far too easy to think you already know it all, if only the world would give you a chance. Same thing at 35, I'm afraid.

33. ivanzu

ivanzu

I liked that sword effect a lot and this kid gots some talent and looks pretty ambitious to me.But i dont think he should lie about that contract he could simply ask him for help and may he would accept.Hippocoder hat down:D

34. janpec

janpec

So this thread is opened and expanding becouse someone made a lie and it has nothing with Unity engine or anyone from Unity community, not to mention that topic title is missleading. If engine vs engine topics are closed which are at least productive with informations i dont see reason for this still being opened.

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Because healthy discussion is healthy. It is an outstanding example of the unity community taking the negative and turning it into the positive with rational talk.

Sometimes its a good thing.

36. techmage

techmage

I won't give any credit to this kid, or give any merit to what he says.

But I will tell you, back when I was 16-18 and I was working on a mod called Digital Paintball for Half-Life, Valve Software was very responsive and helpful to us. If Crytek is anything like Valve, it's entirely possible they are in active conversation through email, maybe on the phone, with various mod teams. But I do not know... just sayin.

37. hasullivan

hasullivan

I have no knowledge of this particular case. But Crytek has in the past worked very close with modders.

38. CursedOne

CursedOne

I got one of these from this forum from someone called Synergist. Claiming they wanted me to join there team and they're doing a project on cryengine 3. They also said that if I make a GDD of the game I was making then they would assign me as team leader and they would make my game for me.

As soon as I heard anything about making them a GDD I knew it was a troll to steal my ideas lol.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Your ideas are only worth stealing if you can prove they're worth stealing.

40. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

What's a GDD?

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Assuming Game Design Document.

42. makan

makan

lol Smart kid, well i believe everyone need opportunity to show themselves....

43. faultymoose

faultymoose

I find it hard to imagine that anyone currently involved in the games industry in any way would want to steal ideas. Didn't everyone get into the industry because they were overflowing with ideas?

"I'm going to go make games for a living... but I don't have ANY ideas, so I'm going to have to steal some!"

44. arvzg

arvzg

Look guys, I dislike overconfident kids with "The next big world changing idea" as much as the next person, but I think we need to stop slogging away at someone we don't even know anything about.

The fact is we don't know anything about this kid. Sure he's 16, but as other people have pointed out, age doesn't matter as long as you have what it takes.

As far as him owning CryEngine, I'm not saying he's likely to actually have a deal with CryTek for CryEngine, but I am saying we don't know if he does or does not. As far as we know, he might be one of CryTek employees's son, or nephew, and got it that way. We just don't know.

The only reason why I think there is a chance he actually MIGHT own CryEngine is there is no way someone would just blatantly lie about having something that they don't have. Sure, he could lie about it, sure, the OP could believe him, but what does that get him? A few days down the track the OP would see that he does not infact have a deal with CryTek.. Unless he actually does - and he seemed pretty confident in that last message that he could in fact prove that he does.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

You'd be suprised. I can't name names but some casual game publishers have private forums dedicated to links and analysis of unique and rare titles from indies and the appstore. This is different because its all about getting a hot game that nobody knows about and turning it into their own profitable venture.

This happens for ideas that are already made: idea theft of a proven released game is popular, just not ideas that still exist in people's heads :)

46. faultymoose

faultymoose

Well, I'm afraid I subscribe to the philosophy that an idea on its own has zero value. The law agrees. You can only protect the representation of ideas. I wouldn't call it theft to trend on successful titles: that's capitalism. It's not unique to games - it's in every industry where money changes hands. I worked for a developer who did the same thing: watched the industry, looked for successful trends, and attempted to capitalise on those proven financial successes. I'd be inclined to call it market research more than anything else.

But I do agree with your final sentence, in so far as no one is interested in stealing an unproven idea. I just can't imagine someone having the practical skills, the business fortitude, and the game-industry experience to successfully create a game, but completely lack in any creative vision whatsoever.

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I already implied a few posts above that an idea is worthless, because it is. But a proven concept is far from worthless, it is even valuable financially as you do not need to invest resources into making a prototype.

48. galent

galent

Legally, in all the countries from respondents in this thread here, as well as quite a number of other countries, it's not obligation, it's the legal age of maturity (read responsibility for one's own actions). You'd do well to remember that it's the same body of laws that generally prevent children (usually defined as pre-18 yrs of age) from bearing the full responsibility of adult decisions under the law (criminal and/or civil) that prevents you from legally being allowed to sign contracts (like NDAs) .... Most of these laws are in place to protect you. Businesses have their own protection, in this case lawyers. If you young fellows pay a little closer attention in history class, you'll note that these laws didn't always exist... and even today in some cases we (the adults) remove the child protection provisions in special cases, that's probably not fair, since the only reason to do that is make a dramatic example of a young person, usually with uncompromising, life time impacting results. Other countries have no such legal protections at all...

oh, and btw, if a "sister" isn't your legal guardian, then there has been no binding contract that encompasses you, but rather a binding responsibility to complete the terms of agreement between the signed entities (namely the business and the "sister" in question), failure to comply on your behalf, represents legal failure to manage the terms of NDA for the 18 yr old (at best), and/or criminal fraud by an adult (the 18yr old girl) (at worst). Your sister is potentially gambling a lot of her future on signing for you.

There's lots of reasons, historic, physical/mental, physiological, etc... for all this. It's not ok to lie or mis-represent yourself intentionally or otherwise. The adults present should know how misguided, and colorful interpretation of reality, young minds can get, especially in and around the entertainment industry (which isn't funny... too many adults have long used this phenomenon to exploit teens and young adults). We were young once, we saw things differently. I'd take the time to guide, rather than slap them back only to have some less.... well intentioned adults tell those kids exactly what they want to hear, and lead them far astray.

Cheers,

Galen

49. UBoatsRule

UBoatsRule

This guy, seems pretty serious.. I messaged him. he gave me a website and an admin page.. I dont know or care...