Search Unity

Cryptocurrency as in game currency

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bragiar, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bragiar

bragiar

Hi, i'm brand new to the unity game development. I saw that Unity launched cryptocurrency support for games (KIN) and I've read several threads about using an Ethereum token for in-game currency, but for my project I was thinking about using a custom cryptocurrency (based on Bitcoin) for in-game currency. Both the game and the currency is ready and currently running but I was looking to integrate the currency into the game. I've been having a hard time finding any examples or threads about this. Is this possible? Does unity support this? Or is it impossible at this moment?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I want to get some answers before investing a lot of time into this project.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yes it's possible, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. On top of that, if you have to ask, you're probably not ready to implement it yourself.

Crypto is honestly a terrible idea, but bitcoin is generally the worst crypto solution of them all. Proof of work is a terrible system.

Martin_H likes this.
  3. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

As a form of store of value for money, Bitcoin is awesome. After the most recent Bitcoin halving, it has the same stock to flow ratio as gold. That is the first time in literally thousand of years that any form of money has effectively challenged gold as an effective store of value. If somebody offered to pay me in Bitcoin, silver, gold, USD, or Euros, I would definitely choose the Bitcoin.

I still would never integrate Bitcoin into a game, though.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just because something is possible to do, doesn't mean you're going to find ready made examples, explanations, or tutorials on how it would be done.

I don't think this is a particularly great idea. Just one reason is many governments have begun recognizing crypto as a form of actual currency, creating a labyrinth of complex laws you will have to follow. You may have to report in game transactions to either your government, or the government for wherever your players reside, for tax purposes. You may have reporting and record keeping requirements related to detecting money laundering. Games are played by players from all over the globe, so that's a lot of laws you'll have to research and comply with.

Also US players probably won't like it when you ask for their social security number

5. ippdev

ippdev

One of the top entries at a recent crypto applications contest was a poker game based on using crypto. It has its place . Understand that proof of work is actually what money has always been about and it makes sense..

ShilohGames likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.