Search Unity

Cryengine now has C# & more!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Murgilod

Murgilod

kB11, Ryiah and elmar1028 like this.
  2. elmar1028

elmar1028

Alright, thanks for the copy paste thingy. Link could've been enough.

Nobody says anything about CryEngine's features. There are loads of them even more than Unity but...

The problem is the UX of the engine. Most of the time, an indie would waste time learning such cluttered interface like Cry Engine's.
    Cry Engine has been designed for large companies in mind. Moreover, I think Cry Engine is an in-house tool created for developers at Crytek to make games, not someone outside.

C# support - awesome! Open source - that's great, but where is the documentation?

Features of the program are not the only thing that makes a program great. It's also user experience. It's also support and documentation.

kB11 and Ryiah like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@elmar1028

In all fairness, they offer ticket support with a subscription for £45.00 a month with a three day SLA.. As for the UI I managed to learn it in a couple of days, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is? It is pretty straight forward.

There are many reasons probably not to use it, but today they aren't applicable.

@indie777

Completely depends on your project, most of those features could be entirely worthless or a life saver. If you're going for mid level and higher PC / Console games then yeah, I would choose either UE or CE for the task.. As for anything else, probably Unity.

kB11, indie777 and Ryiah like this.
  4. indie777

indie777

funny..
    before uttering such things, atleast try to think what you are saying.
    I can see in previous posts experienced cry developer @noorudheen, explaining how easy it is.
    if you stare at it and stand on the shore, then no one can help.you cant catch fish without getting wet.then any engine cant help u.
    leave alone cry.

Of course u need a system with average specs atleast to run it.
    1gb ram and 1mgz processor cant take it.
    i can see you struggling to get it installed even, from your previous posts.
    i dont want to repeat all what @noorudheen told here last days.
    it is not scary my friends as you thinks..
    and dont look for too much spoon feeding.
    no pain no gain.

5. indie777

indie777

just letting a rod for blind, hopping to help from falling in to pit

6. indie777

indie777

iam from gaming community.
    uses both engines.

and what else iam supposed to reply to such foolishness.

if you are in to gaming, you know where cry engine stands and where does unity.
    there is no need to be in cry forums to know AAA titles developed in it.

cry engine is AAA, and its proven.

unity claims AAA and let us hopes it proves it soon.

7. antislash

antislash

while your other points make sense, this one is particularly false, interface is not the problem, the "cluttered interface" is a CE hater's urban legend.
    i would more emphasize that the problem is CE staff think people do have to know coding prior to ask any question...
    there's a coding hype at crytek and that's what make lack of support really bitter.
    i must add that crytek have awesome staff but they prefer keep their knowledge for themselves and write cookbooks that they sell on amazon..... that explains why their willing to help is so low...
    i asked cryengine team to explain how their shader code works...and most of the time the answer is "why do you want to change shader code ??you don't have to ! ou shader is uber, you fking noob how dare you ask !"

elmar1028 and Deleted User like this.
  8. indie777

indie777

yes, as i said for pokemon and bubble shooting, unity is fair enough.
    as for anything else,
    try a simple outdoor scene, few vegitation and other props in 1989 rendering and see mighty unity engine crawling on knees ..

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

You've never even used unity.

kB11 and Deleted User like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wheras I've always found Epic / Unity staff helpful, well Unity is helpful if you ever get to speak to someone. Unity has gotten much better recently at dealing with tickets and not letting them get lost in a void.

Plus the sheer ridiculous amount of training materials for both UE / Unity. If we're talking tools UE wins hands down out of any engine, with it's latest iterations 4.11 / 4.12 it has become lightning quick.. The amount of AAA samples / materials / frameworks and video guides / crossover guides etc. in UE makes it pretty simple to create awesome stuff if you can be bothered to learn it.

The BP system has so many abstractions today you can do stuff in a fraction of the time it takes you in flowgraph (or code), plus you can convert it all to native C++ and expand.

I like CE, I think they've finally made it into an actual useable solution. Which is cool, but they're still leagues behind UE and for mobile / 2D games etc. Unity is still the one to go for. So it's great, but not really anything shouting out to me use it.!

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

One of the posts you responded to was made as a joke (some of us use the :p emote to make it more obvious) and the other one could have been handled without being rude.

Unity can handle this effortlessly.

12. antislash

antislash

welll sadly, i have to disagree .. effortfully is the correct word

indie777 likes this.
  13. indie777

indie777

joke or serious.
    cry engine is far ahead.
    it beats unity in all aspects.

and unity will handle.i have not told it will not.it will handle anything but with fps 3 - 5. not beyond.

14. antislash

antislash

it was on a 3 years old laptop.... 3 mil polys, 300 k trees ..... 25 fps.... try that with unity, now, even with a decent dev machine.
    of course with full realtime GI, fog, all light effects etc etc

Attached Files:

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. Effortfully is not the correct word. It implies that it is difficult. Yet what he described is not difficult in the slightest.

I'm quite serious. Just like I'm serious when I suggest that perhaps if you're going to correct "foolishness" that you start with your own posts before you attempt to do it for others.

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

Again, you've never even used Unity.

Also,I'm pretty sure you weren't even alive in 1989.

Frpmta likes this.
  17. antislash

antislash

ryiah ... have you evet tried CE ? even did some kind os stress test ? that's the first thing i do with an engine to compare.

indie777 likes this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are you suggesting that having 300,000 trees on a laptop is somehow not an impressive feat?

Yes.

19. antislash

antislash

that IS im:pressive..but it's NOT unity !: it's cryengine... so have you tried CE ?

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's fine because a AAA title won't have 300,000 trees on screen anyway.

21. antislash

antislash

maybe, but that's a stress test, not a game scene, i pferet to knwo that the engine can handle that nicely, it makes me feel comfortable while i'm not sure what unity can handle in a similar scene.
    so...have you tried cryengine?

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're not happy with Unity then why are you here? Unity may be able to handle it or it may not. A stress test is a bit like a benchmark. You can't rely on it for accurately determining the capabilities and usefulness of an engine.

I already responded to this question.

23. antislash

antislash

i'm with both engines, because i like both, but i wouldn't state any "unity can do that as well" because it's purely wrong....particularly if you don't have tested it.
    and... what ? a benchmark can't give a precise idea of an engine capabilities ? really ? so , what can ? shamanic incantations? :D

sorry i was at swimming pool for my synchonized swimming course :D, so what's the answer?

indie777 likes this.
  24. indie777

indie777

foolishness is when u talks about AAA while replying to someone who asked about stress test.

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Scroll up. Or are you trolls too lazy to do that now?

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well I did this in about 30 minutes with Unity, this was before they introduced the new fancy post as well (in 5.3?) and before GGX (used Scion instead) it has atmospheric scattering / GI / IBL etc. etc. used Unity's default shader setup.

You may think it sucks, but the pictures from some of the other pages in CE didn't exactly rock my boat either. Especially when comparing to UE..

As for performance on large scenes, well CE always did have the edge. Last time I imported a City in Unity the editor went started crawling / skipping.. Our dev machines are worth a small fortune as well, so it's not for lack of power.

Ryiah likes this.
  27. antislash

antislash

yeah too lazy to scroll back 5 pages... while a yes/no is more efficient that blablah.
    trolls ? wow... that's cold.... isn't a troll someone being unfriendly negative about something ?

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

Nine posts ago. You even responded to the very post it comes from.

It strongly depends on the troll.

29. antislash

antislash

well it sucks :D nah kidding.
    what sucks in unity is more the outdated vegetation system, (that's what i see in your pic) and the baked illum.

Attached Files:

Deleted User likes this.
  30. antislash

antislash

sorry missed that..
    so you cant' state that unity can do the same as CE ...effortlessly... be fair

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not aware of anyone that actually likes Enlighten at this point. :p

If I remember correctly I tried out CryEngine 3. At the time I didn't care for it because of the licensing restrictions at the time. I downloaded CryEngine 5 when it became free but haven't gotten around to actually doing anything with it yet.

32. indie777

indie777

fyi,
    @Ryiah told "yes i tried" and i seriously doubt he mean" tried "to download it and later droped it coz of huge file size

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thing is, you could always create your own foliage and apply it as a decal (or use speedtree) I was being lazy and just grabbed some old Unity 4.X grass laying about.. I'll agree completely about the lighting, then again I don't think CE is amazing either.. Especially when you start comparing to Unreal's lightmass / effects and shadow system, I'd say Unity / CE today aren't that far away from each other:

Plus Unity are sorting out the terrain system.

UE example:

Ryiah and antislash like this.
  34. antislash

antislash

way better.. i won't talk for UE as in only installed and uninstalled it ... my GPU didn't like it..... and our team choosed to not jump to UE and stick to unity...
    and for the terrain system, i asked so many times when it would be sorted..only info i have is "far far away in the roadmap"
    yep, with a decent terrain system and a vegetation system similar to cryengine (custom models, not speedtree) we're golden, and i would be ok to stick with unity

Deleted User likes this.
  35. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's download for the desktop and mobile platforms is about 20GB. Visual Studio is another 9GB on top of that. Unreal 4 is likely the smallest at this point but I don't recall CryEngine's download. It can't be much if I forgot how big it was though.

36. indie777

indie777

oh really.. so u seriously downloaded it!
    my heartfelt congratulations!

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

This isn't actually adding anything useful to this thread. We get so many of these types of threads, first sign of it being worthless it'll get locked.

@antislash

Unity really need to get a move on with the terrain / upgrades etc.

P.S UE is so much different now, I remember back in 4.3 the editor used to spin up all the fans on my GPU.. It was heavy / clunky etc. a terrain would drain a 780TI no problems.. Today things are different, it is lightning quick in performance terms it's faster than Unity by a fair margin.

Like every engine, still has it's fair share of problems.. Better the devil you know and all that..

antislash and Ryiah like this.
  38. elmar1028

elmar1028

The guy is actual troll. He doesn't know what he is talking about. An account was created only for that purpose.
    Not the customer support, but video tutorials and documentation on recent features Cry Engine released. E.g when CE received C# treatment, they didn't have documentation or tutorials. (haven't checked)

Deleted User likes this.
  39. indie777

indie777

cry engine rendering 35,000 trees at 35 fps

unity , crawling at 5 fps for less than 5000 trees,

I told, 1989 style rendering, you dont have to be living before 1989 to use a stuff
    made that time u kiddu....

Dheen Doha likes this.
  40. indie777

indie777

darling,
    dont utter bla bla when u dont have a reply.
    iam talking based on clear facts. lists, links everything.

not just bla like u..

Dheen Doha likes this.
  41. indie777

indie777

usefullness depends on the user.
    a gem is of no use to a cockroach.

Dheen Doha likes this.
  42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

indie777 has been banned for derailing and trolling for a week. Simple way to avoid this: don't troll.

43. Dheen Doha

Dheen Doha

How u defines a troll?

44. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A troll is someone who just doesn't add anything to the topic / remarks designed to irritate others. Derailing a topic spitefully also falls under this.

I notice you have the same ip address range as the banned user. I would suggest you be cool as well.

46. elmar1028

elmar1028

Now that the thread was saved.

'Trees' comparison left me wondering, what's the major difference between Cry Engine's and Unity's renderer? Or is it because there is some sort of automatic LOD and Occlusion Culling CE does?

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think the difference is, cryengine isn't really a generic engine like Unity is. It's an engine specifically for a game (crysis) designed specifically to solve that game's problems. The thing is crysis (and similar) are pretty much the problems facing most games (terrain, ai, large scope, rendering performance in open world) and so on. So if you can make a game like crysis, you can make pretty much anything.

Unity can do this, but it's a lot of work for them, and there are no downsides (except it's work). Crytek also have way, way more practical experience in shaders, engine design and so on than Unity does from a performance standpoint. We're talking about an engine that ran OK on last gen with decent performance, that runs much better now than before.

I'm sure Unity knows it has to improve performance a lot more than it already has, but I'm not convinced it will continue. Time will tell. Will we see unified post that's highly optimised? Will we see render paths which aren't generic but we can tap into for large perf gains? Who knows.

48. antislash

antislash

i wouldn't blame unity on it's perfs, they are reasonable for a multi purpose engine.
    i would blame it for it's cheap and crappy terrain and it's cheap and crappy vegetation system.
    those 2 points are not what make perfs better, trhey just make unity usability and artists work BETTER...
    i would easily forgive unity not having the same perfs as an AAA engine (most of us, even big teams won't go for AAA projects) but i won't forgive it for having those lame outdated simple and basic tools to offer.

Dheen Doha likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

In a scene with nothing but tree's costing 3 Million polys worth of budget, LOD's mean nothing.

You can use CSM (cascade shadow mapping) over a large distance and cut the frame rate in half, you can either bake it or use something like UE's Ray Traced Distance soft shadows which can give you up to a 30% + boost in performance. This is one of many examples, texture streaming / mesh streaming / lighting tech / post processing / occlusion culling etc. etc. all use up valuable MS. can cause jumps / skips / slowdowns etc.

There's issues with deferred rendering that can cause slow downs if you have too many transparent / translucent surfaces etc. As this is more of an issue for outdoor games where every ms counts, of course CryTek went to a lot of trouble to sort that out.. There's a metric bunch of whitepapers / presentations they published on it.

You'll of noticed Unity have done a lot of work on Job scheduling and Multi-threading recently, another cause.. There's tons of examples and many developers use different techniques to try and resolve this. Some of the best came from Crytek, if nothing else for a long time it was a technical marvel at the cutting edge of AAA.

It's very simple to make something look good, hell you could just stick brigades technology into an engine. It's an entirely different thing to make it look good and perform extremely well through many means of fakery.

50. elmar1028

elmar1028

This.

So CE is basically a Crytek game maker. It's very hard to use it for other purposes like 2D games because it wasn't designed to do that in the first place.