Search Unity

Cryengine now has C# & more!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, Mar 19, 2016.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't know , terrain and vegetation , water ocean shader, SSS shaders, SSAO, ubber shaders still not in the engine.
    Perhaps it's Unity way ? You buy plugins if you require hig end graphics, so Unity can keep improve on all platforms instead of focusing on PC only.
    There is room for each engine as each is stronger on some points.

You are among the no lucky guys :D
    Anyway if you are using Unity, i doubt you'll be able to start coding a game in CryEngine right away, this is more complexity on the workflow and coding side.

2. tatoforever

tatoforever

You need a DX11/12 compatible GPU.

3. antislash

antislash

ah ah ah
    is must say i wanted to DL last engine and had to change my PWD, i don't have the reply from crytek.... sounds like their whole site is under heavy maintenance or heavy changes.... better docs ! yeah ! :eek:

4. antislash

antislash

yep unity has a "commercial assets-friendly" policy wich is awesome, CT didn't had for times but it's changing so we can expect even better content (?)

5. elmar1028

elmar1028

My GPU is compatible!
    Even if it wasn't, why wouldn't it work? It's a launcher not an engine!

Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thing is most of your requests are just shaders, so what's stopping YOU from doing it? Shaderlab exists right?

Reason I'm asking, is because that age old question. When is it the resonsibility of the engine developer and when is it the responsibility of the dev? No matter what they release, ultimately it's YOU that has to support it when it gets out in the wild.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  7. antislash

antislash

if you go this way, then why provide an engine ? given that you can develop anything from scratch ... isn't an engine supposed to provide basic features to ease projects , prototyping and dev ? isn't a decent water shader a basic feature ? not talking about a river tool that CE has, not an ocean, that CE has, just a water shader...
    isn't a terrain tool a basic feature too ? for me definitely yes.
    thing is how much time and money does it cost to develop basic features like a terrain, a vegetation system, water etc
    i thought engine were for "content", not a base platform to develop another engine.

zenGarden likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good question, is a decent water shader a basic feature? There's a fair difference between making a multi-platform toolset and a couple of shaders..

Let me play devil's advocate for a second, why shouldn't they have procedural city generators? Complete gameplay frameworks where all you really have to do is drag and drop your own art / change the dialogue and tweak a couple of bits?

Where's the line?

9. moure

moure

On the same boat mate ;)

10. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey everyone,
    So I have been part of the CryEngine community for a while now. I just thought I would clear up some confusion. :)
    The Cryengine team goals are the following from my understanding.. No particular order ofc.

1. Replace the clunky workflow from Maya, 3DS, etc. to Cryengine with an more simple and streamlined workflow. From the sounds of it the cryengine team are going with .FBX support.

2. Add more tooling to the Cryengine for devs to be successful. I am unsure what this will entail but I look forward to it.

3. Better support, communication and transparency overall from crytek.

That said Crytek is going to do a live stream tomorrow March 22 at 5PM CET with their marketing team. Feel free to drop in and ask questions. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/crytek

tatoforever, elmar1028, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  11. antislash

antislash

you are clever enough to realize that your question is biased... ofc a city generatorr doesn't belong to basic features.
    but I.E a LOD generator could be one ... and yes basic shaders that represent all the basic kind of surfaces you could have in a game are, for me a basic feature, if not, why PBS in unity, eh ?

zenGarden, tatoforever and HeadClot88 like this.
  12. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

It is also worth noting that Cryengine V has a marketplace now. So - If you want to make some serious money then I would recommend developing for Cryengine. There will be a big demand for Cryengine plugins and the like :)

And since Cryengine supports C# in the way that Unity does through Mono you can basically port your plugin over. Unless I am mistaken :)

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That. Since it's engine work mostly, rather than just a bit of C#. Most Unity plugins work specifically with the Unity engine.

As for lots of people using cryengine, last I checked they couldn't get it working. I suspect this is just you being excited.

14. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Ah fair enough. My bad. :)

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I do think eventually (mostly thanks to lumberyard) cryengine will get a more solid userbase overall. I know truesky's author took a look at lumberyard at some point on his blog, so there's that.

16. antislash

antislash

probably, new announcements , pay what you want, massive downloads.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just yanking your chain :D, I welcome anything that saves time and yeah it probably should be in there but if I was to use Unity I wouldn't let these small things stop me either?!

Again when it's out the door, you have to support it. So if it's for time saving only, yeah whatever helps..

antislash likes this.
  18. elmar1028

elmar1028

Did they mention anything about launchers?

19. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Yes, they are actively working to resolve the issue with the website and the Launcher.

In the mean time devs from crytek hang out in the Crycommunity slack chat and r/Cryengine
    They would have more information than me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cryengine

20. Frpmta

Frpmta

tl;dr Unity + CryEngine performance = Heaven.

But it is Unity's job to show that it is possible.

Firewatch making a 980GTX stutter is not a good way to showcase your engine.
    And that studio isn't made up by random people.

kB11 and tatoforever like this.
  21. N1warhead

N1warhead

@Frpmta - it's their fault they released it the way they did, if in fact it's truly 100% the engines fault, then they shouldn't have pushed it that hard, otherwise it was by their own doing, and instead - should have tried fixing their mistakes.

Ryiah likes this.
  22. antislash

antislash

sounds (from a CT member) that they had more downloads than expected and that they have some hard times with their servers, forums, etc

23. elmar1028

elmar1028

UT had more downloads than expected but they handled it in less than a day.

Of course, you can't compare UT to CryTek in terms of userbase, but come on - it's been almost a week since Cry Engine V went live and they still haven't got that problem solved!

zenGarden likes this.
  24. antislash

antislash

su
    sure, but at least i had a CT member on slack, dedicated to help users , nicely helped to recover my account, i hope things get sorted soon

elmar1028 likes this.
  25. elmar1028

elmar1028

I hope they'll settle things down too. I am not a CryEngine hater. I was always keen to get my hands on new tech (especially game engines). :(

antislash likes this.
  26. zenGarden

zenGarden

Poor elmar1028 :D
    Anyway until you got a project that needs the engine, this is still CryEngine nothing has really changed, AI is still here like Flowgraphs. You can Download Lumberyard if you want to play with tools as Lumberyard is CryEngine 3.8.

elmar1028 likes this.
  27. Brity

Brity

what made that tech demo look so good was the custom fog system which is not available in Unity (out of the box)
    They plan on releasing it at a later date but I think it will be another one of those .. oh only good for promo vids and marketing..

we will see.

28. elbows

elbows

Well its pretty certain that its not a low-end effect. Even Cryengine which has powerful volumetric fog which integrates well many other parts of their system (lights, particles, cheaper fog for distances further away from camera), does not have it switched on by default. But I do have hope that the Unity version will be useable on projects that are targeting what used to be called 'next gen' level hardware.

antislash likes this.
  29. Brity

Brity

yep. volumetric fog effect is not for low-end devices.

I remember getting excited when Unity released for free the The Blacksmith Atmospheric Scattering, but after importing it into a fresh new project and adding a few shaders to my project I received the shader keywords limit. in other words "Unity cant handle this sort of AAA stuff. Please delete this asset from Unity and don't you dare even think about us giving you anything of AAA quality for free!. LOL :p

after that I lost hope and faith in unity's words and reminded myself about unity is great at marketing but.. you know...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  30. Frpmta

Frpmta

WOW.

Shader keywords limit? It truly is a mobile engine.

And you have that thread with Aras saying 'Unity 4 has a 64 limit, Unity 5 might increase it to 128' as if it was some kind of great feature when it is just some workaround around an outdated kind of backbone shader/material technology.

Terrible.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  31. Brity

Brity

ok not sure what you're trying to say..lol sorry
    Could you elaborate in your meaning?

32. Frpmta

Frpmta

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/solved-64-keyword-limit-questions.252750/#post-1671413
    'Optimization'.

More like crippling functionality as a workaround.

33. ZJP

ZJP

Yes. UT, make a deal with PopcornFX. :p

darkhog and Velo222 like this.
  34. neginfinity

neginfinity

As it was mentioned in the other thread that was nuked by hippo, apparently it is now possible to get CryEngine for free and royalty free too.

https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine

Caveats/gotchas:
    Also, they do not offer any free support. Support is paid on per-seat basis.

35. elmar1028

elmar1028

I got some movement. Goodbye, Mister Loading Ring!

36. tiggus

tiggus

I'm a little confused now as to which users are going to choose to use Lumberyard and which will use this new CryEngine. Would it be safe to say that LumberYard will go down the Unity path of supporting mobile and a bunch of online services while CryTek's version will be for hardcore VR/PC Performance?

37. elmar1028

elmar1028

I guess Lumberyard and Unity would concentrate on creating services for their users (e.g Twitch, Analytics etc.), while Cry Engine and Unreal concentrate on producing up-to-date tools + VR/AR support.

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Lumberyard had CryEngine from months , still they only begin to do some work lately, what deos this means ?
    I read their last post about entity system in C++ , i found it more complicated than Unity C# entities.
    Until they had C# i don't think Lumberyard will got major attraction, while CryEngine is supported by Cryteck advanced developpers that are able to bring huge features unlike Lumberyard that all tp proove in the next months.
    If i would need to use on it would be CryEngine for sure.

So you'll be able to play with the engine lol

39. elmar1028

elmar1028

Yes. But now I am confused how to use it. o_O No helping tutorials or documentation has been released yet.

40. Mogitu

Mogitu

Yeah, exactly. Their entire sample library, documentation and tutorials are a total miss. It feels like it almost deliberately is trying to misdirect the user. Other than that the editor and scripting feels much more responsive and stable than UE4 is on my development machine. That is a win for me, just the documentation and workflows......

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  41. darkhog

darkhog

Look up Crysis modding. AFAIK they've used stripped down version of CryEngine editor so it'd be good place to start and by the time you'll get the basic of using the editor I'm sure docs will be improved.

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

Take a look at SideWinder C# tutorial to start. But the game is not handled like Unity components, for example all collisions are handled in one Class, the HUD seems hard to use as it is created by hand, and there is some other downsides. This is clearly not a component and prefabs framework as Unity, this is the old school way :D
    I like the engine perfromance but it really lacks Unity simplicity.

43. janpec

janpec

Water is a feature that is used in so many games, that you can call it nearly a default rendering feature. And a well built shader makes a significant difference. In the end the features that are in engines are generally what is widely used by gaming, and water certainly is that.

zenGarden, Deleted User and antislash like this.
  44. antislash

antislash

yeah me too, and let's not talk about characters, mannequin..segments segments.... VS unity humanoid avatar that allows to use a custom character in 5 minutes while you need 5 hours or more in CE5
    but CE has realtime lipsync, plus all attachements kinematics .... yeah lots of high end stuf but much more time to spend to get your hands on it

zenGarden likes this.
  45. antislash

antislash

that's what i was saying previously.... water, just a simple working water in unitty...ahhh
    while CE has ocean with SSS , crest foam etc
    http://docs.cryengine.com/display/S...atedOceanwithCrestFoamandSubSurfaceScattering

zenGarden likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

As I said before if you'd of read other posts, just playing devils advocate. Water / rivers etc. are as common as the terrain systems themselves, so are things like spline tools. So they really should be a part of the engine if a terrain engine exists..

Not to mention water shaders take ages to look decent..!

antislash and zenGarden like this.
  47. janpec

janpec

Lets see yet detailed info on how royaltie free this really is, or perhaps how well shiped into community it is. Becouse engine itself was free to use years ago, but really at the point where they hold you by your throat when you are about to push project into release. Just their policy was very unclear and non-straightforward compared to Unity or UE, perhaps now that was changed, maybe not.
    Their pipeline is Max/Maya narrowed, and when it comes to animations quite outdated, editing tools and visual programming non existent. GI, vegetation shading and outdoor fit system is surely good, butt that isnt in core basic of majority of indie projects.

48. janpec

janpec

Sory was lazy only reading from top page down, stoping at your upper post :)
    Yeh the simple logic why good looking water should really be part of any large commercial engine is simply becouse it takes so long for indie developer to create that its almost a deal braker for many projects to go on that road, especially if team size is very small.
    CE ocean shader was best looking water for while, but now there are many other games pushing it better. But what still makes it great is how low the performance cost is, i get about 5 FPS drop on high settings of ocean in engine which is quite impressive.

Oh so CE now also has indie dev fund interesting, following the Epic very well that is, there are many projects under development for 2 years already in CE that will surely qualify for entry, thats gona be loads of work to check who is best suited for entry!

Deleted User likes this.
  49. zenGarden

zenGarden

Because Unity purpose is multi platform and any project size, they don't target high end features out of the box unlike CryEngine. Still i agree water is so fundamental game feature and terrain , why Unity does not really keep a basic version and propose a high end version for people wanting to have them high quality ?

Outdoor games on PC are the most popular and open world is beginning to become more and more common today , some studios made the transition like Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition. And Zelda game is coming to open world, this is a real surprise.
    I guess all 3D engines will propose open world and streaming , with river, ocean and roads soon.

50. darkhog

darkhog

Water shader in Unity is good enough IMO. What I really miss in Unity that is a stock feature in other engines is built-in water buoyancy, like water volumes in UE. Yeah, there's water buoyancy effector in Unity, but it's 2d only, unfortunately.